Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Glock4ever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 am

Years ago I would have laughed at this suggestion. But I see many people on YouTube etc wearing some type of disposal gloves when cleaning their guns. Is this something like wearing seatbelts in vehicles that has become the normal thing to do?

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby RPBrown » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 am

I never have but my son does
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby jmorris » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am

I have the gloves on hand anyway so I should but generally just wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. Handling some toxins there. I also have some waterless cleanser in the truck and wash up after shooting.
Jay E Morris
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC
NRA Lifetime/Recuiter
Cibolo, TX

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby warnmar10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

Gloves are also good for covering up all them scraggly/knappy/nasty cuticles/fingers/hands that don't hold up to 1080p so well.


superstar
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby superstar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 am

I wear them because it's easier to get the smell off my hands and keep my fingernails clean. :lol: I know I know... unfortunately people will always judge you at first impressions and if I'm on the keyboard it's less explanations need it when coworkers are hovering around.


Dan20703
Senior Member
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:26 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Dan20703 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Image


Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Glock4ever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 am

Dan20703 wrote:Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.

Got me a hundred pack at Wal Mart. Was just wondering if it's overkill about like wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle to the corner store.

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Jago668 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:04 am

Glock4ever wrote:
Dan20703 wrote:Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.

Got me a hundred pack at Wal Mart. Was just wondering if it's overkill about like wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle to the corner store.


I get mine from Harbor Freight when I have a 25% off coupon. I used them when I was doing airbrushing miniatures. Saved having to clean paint off my hands all the time. I started using them cleaning my guns as well. Don't have to wash up after cleaning now is the biggest thing. Side benefit of not leaving any oils/fingerprints behind on the guns as well. Is it necessary? Not at all, and if I wasn't already in the habit of buying them I probably wouldn't start. However it is nice not having to wash up afterwards.

Plus I rolled up some pairs and put them in my med kits.
NRA Benefactor Member


george72
Junior Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby george72 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 am

I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16558
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

george72 wrote:I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.

This sounds like blue Nitrile gloves. If so, stick with the Nitrile. I used the regular gloves, but they never held up for a full strip/clean of a 1911. Even double-gloving often saw me down uncovered fingers by the end. Nitrile holds up to solvents much better.

I didn't use gloves for many years, but then I heard our modern day Plato, Willie Nelson, say that "if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Well, if Willie says it, it must be true, right?

Chas.
Image

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 4988
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby puma guy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
george72 wrote:I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.

This sounds like blue Nitrile gloves. If so, stick with the Nitrile. I used the regular gloves, but they never held up for a full strip/clean of a 1911. Even double-gloving often saw me down uncovered fingers by the end. Nitrile holds up to solvents much better.

I didn't use gloves for many years, but then I heard our modern day Plato, Willie Nelson, say that "if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Well, if Willie says it, it must be true, right?

Chas.

Nitrile is what we used in the Analytical Lab at the refinery in which I worked for general purpose for their chemical resistance and rip strength. We had special gloves for aromatics (Viton I think) and as well as PVC for acids. As Charles stated Nitrile is perfectly suited for cleaning firearms. You can get Nitrile gloves at Harborfreight is varying thicknesses.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6950
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Abraham » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 am

No to the gloves as I use non-toxic cleaner & lube.

(I love Willie's singing while I detest his politics)


flechero
Senior Member
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby flechero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 am

I used to most of the time... but also now use non toxic cleaner and lube. (still do sometimes just to clean up easier)

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts: 8328
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Beiruty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

I like to rob my firearms with CLP using my bare hands. Tough it boys, you are the men of the business.
:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment member


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 am

I don't wear gloves and I also don't wear safety glasses even after getting some Gun Scrubber in my eye after it bounced off a gun slide at a weird angle. Add these to the list of things that I know I should do, but I don't actually do.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests