Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Post by Glock4ever »

Years ago I would have laughed at this suggestion. But I see many people on YouTube etc wearing some type of disposal gloves when cleaning their guns. Is this something like wearing seatbelts in vehicles that has become the normal thing to do?

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Post by RPBrown »

I never have but my son does
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I have the gloves on hand anyway so I should but generally just wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. Handling some toxins there. I also have some waterless cleanser in the truck and wash up after shooting.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Gloves are also good for covering up all them scraggly/knappy/nasty cuticles/fingers/hands that don't hold up to 1080p so well.

superstar

Post by superstar »

I wear them because it's easier to get the smell off my hands and keep my fingernails clean. :lol: I know I know... unfortunately people will always judge you at first impressions and if I'm on the keyboard it's less explanations need it when coworkers are hovering around.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Glock4ever »

Dan20703 wrote:Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.
Got me a hundred pack at Wal Mart. Was just wondering if it's overkill about like wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle to the corner store.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Glock4ever wrote:
Dan20703 wrote:Always wear the disposable nitrile gloves to keep any sweat or fingerprints off the metal parts that could cause rust.
Got me a hundred pack at Wal Mart. Was just wondering if it's overkill about like wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle to the corner store.
I get mine from Harbor Freight when I have a 25% off coupon. I used them when I was doing airbrushing miniatures. Saved having to clean paint off my hands all the time. I started using them cleaning my guns as well. Don't have to wash up after cleaning now is the biggest thing. Side benefit of not leaving any oils/fingerprints behind on the guns as well. Is it necessary? Not at all, and if I wasn't already in the habit of buying them I probably wouldn't start. However it is nice not having to wash up afterwards.

Plus I rolled up some pairs and put them in my med kits.
NRA Benefactor Member

george72

Post by george72 »

I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

george72 wrote:I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.
This sounds like blue Nitrile gloves. If so, stick with the Nitrile. I used the regular gloves, but they never held up for a full strip/clean of a 1911. Even double-gloving often saw me down uncovered fingers by the end. Nitrile holds up to solvents much better.

I didn't use gloves for many years, but then I heard our modern day Plato, Willie Nelson, say that "if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Well, if Willie says it, it must be true, right?

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
george72 wrote:I use blue medical gloves that I was given and when they run out I'll use some cheap replacements. Plenty of lead and other toxins in our guns to be careful of especially with kids in the house etc.
This sounds like blue Nitrile gloves. If so, stick with the Nitrile. I used the regular gloves, but they never held up for a full strip/clean of a 1911. Even double-gloving often saw me down uncovered fingers by the end. Nitrile holds up to solvents much better.

I didn't use gloves for many years, but then I heard our modern day Plato, Willie Nelson, say that "if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Well, if Willie says it, it must be true, right?

Chas.
Nitrile is what we used in the Analytical Lab at the refinery in which I worked for general purpose for their chemical resistance and rip strength. We had special gloves for aromatics (Viton I think) and as well as PVC for acids. As Charles stated Nitrile is perfectly suited for cleaning firearms. You can get Nitrile gloves at Harborfreight is varying thicknesses.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

No to the gloves as I use non-toxic cleaner & lube.

(I love Willie's singing while I detest his politics)

flechero

Post by flechero »

I used to most of the time... but also now use non toxic cleaner and lube. (still do sometimes just to clean up easier)

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

I like to rob my firearms with CLP using my bare hands. Tough it boys, you are the men of the business.
:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I don't wear gloves and I also don't wear safety glasses even after getting some Gun Scrubber in my eye after it bounced off a gun slide at a weird angle. Add these to the list of things that I know I should do, but I don't actually do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”