Hearing Protection Act of 2017

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by jb2012 »

canvasbck wrote:Admittedly, I surround myself with a lot of like minded individuals. I was having a hard time coming up with arguments that the left could make AGAINST this bill. Suppressors do not make firearms any more or less efficient in the context of being killing machines.
You're forgetting one key ingredient to this whole pckage. The left as a whole does not base decisions on facts, rather emotions; supressors are actually scary noise removers that increase velocity as well as bullet weight, making the gun even more lethal. Supressors also add a heat seeking ability to the rounds fired. Haha but seriously, arguing solely on facts (which should be the case 100% of the time) does nothing for the left.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jb2012 wrote:
canvasbck wrote:Admittedly, I surround myself with a lot of like minded individuals. I was having a hard time coming up with arguments that the left could make AGAINST this bill. Suppressors do not make firearms any more or less efficient in the context of being killing machines.
You're forgetting one key ingredient to this whole pckage. The left as a whole does not base decisions on facts, rather emotions; supressors are actually scary noise removers that increase velocity as well as bullet weight, making the gun even more lethal. Supressors also add a heat seeking ability to the rounds fired. Haha but seriously, arguing solely on facts (which should be the case 100% of the time) does nothing for the left.
Maybe we need to make the argument on their intellectual level.

I know those loud guns are scary. So we are going to make them quiet. That way they will be less scary. But this is only the first step. We are also working to require that all guns be painted in rainbow colors and play a reassuring song whenever they are fired.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Maybe we need to make the argument on their intellectual level.

I know those loud guns are scary. So we are going to make them quiet. That way they will be less scary. But this is only the first step. We are also working to require that all guns be painted in rainbow colors and play a reassuring song whenever they are fired.

Maybe instead of reducing sound signature, if the supressor could convert the noise into the "I love you" barney song

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I want a suppressor that sounds like a duck call. If they can do it with a turbo wastegate on a eurotrash car, is should be possible, at least on a Glock or an H&K.. :fire
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:I want a suppressor that sounds like a duck call. If they can do it with a turbo wastegate on a eurotrash car, is should be possible, at least on a Glock or an H&K.. :fire
I want mine to sound like a Bronx cheer.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:I want a suppressor that sounds like a duck call. If they can do it with a turbo wastegate on a eurotrash car, is should be possible, at least on a Glock or an H&K.. :fire
I'd go for one that sounds like a Pooter.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jason812 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Am I the only one that still laughs like a 5 year old when watching those videos? Thanks TAM, you just cost me $10 plus shipping.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jason812 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Am I the only one that still laughs like a 5 year old when watching those videos? Thanks TAM, you just cost me $10 plus shipping.
I've worn out two of them. I almost bought another one tonight, but I'm going to take a blue recovery chip for that instead........ :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Just got this back. And on Inauguration Day, no less!!
Dear Mr. TexasJohnBoy,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (S. 59). I recognize your dedication to participating in the democratic process and appreciate your comments on this matter.

As you may know, S. 59 was introduced on January 9, 2017. As a cosponsor of this legislation and a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe that it is essential to safeguard law-abiding citizens’ constitutional right to own and use firearms for lawful purposes. This legislation would remove sound suppressors from regulation under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (P.L. 73-474), ensuring that purchasing a firearm suppressor is treated the same as purchasing a long gun and thus subject to the same background check process. S. 59 has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee for further consideration. As a member of the Finance Committee, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as reform proposals are considered during the 115th Congress.

Burdensome regulations, such as restricting the Second Amendment, runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms. It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals upon which our country was established. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court supporting the fundamental right of American citizens to keep and bear arms. This landmark ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In the 2010 McDonald v. City of Chicago decision, the Supreme Court struck down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—thereby affirming that the Second Amendment protects Americans’ fundamental right against state and local encroachment.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of effective crime-fighting policies and believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to harm innocent Americans. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and imposing tougher sentences on career criminals and violent offenders who use firearms—will reduce violence more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens. Furthermore, lawmakers should work to reduce violence by enacting policies that increase treatment options for those who are dangerously mentally ill—a common factor in many acts of mass violence that have occurred in communities across the nation.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

^^^^^^^^^

Outstanding. Good job reaching out to him and what a great response!
Just some guy's opinion.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

5 more cosponsors yesterday for House version. All five are from outside of TX. 74 total cosponsors now!
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... astToFirst

Cronyn is officially a cosponsor of the Senate version as of Yesterday, bringing that to 3 cosponsors. Where's Ted????
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... astToFirst

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Just got this back. And on Inauguration Day, no less!!
Dear Mr. TexasJohnBoy,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (S. 59). I recognize your dedication to participating in the democratic process and appreciate your comments on this matter.

As you may know, S. 59 was introduced on January 9, 2017. As a cosponsor of this legislation and a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe that it is essential to safeguard law-abiding citizens’ constitutional right to own and use firearms for lawful purposes. This legislation would remove sound suppressors from regulation under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (P.L. 73-474), ensuring that purchasing a firearm suppressor is treated the same as purchasing a long gun and thus subject to the same background check process. S. 59 has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee for further consideration. As a member of the Finance Committee, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as reform proposals are considered during the 115th Congress.

Burdensome regulations, such as restricting the Second Amendment, runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms. It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals upon which our country was established. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court supporting the fundamental right of American citizens to keep and bear arms. This landmark ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In the 2010 McDonald v. City of Chicago decision, the Supreme Court struck down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—thereby affirming that the Second Amendment protects Americans’ fundamental right against state and local encroachment.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of effective crime-fighting policies and believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to harm innocent Americans. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and imposing tougher sentences on career criminals and violent offenders who use firearms—will reduce violence more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens. Furthermore, lawmakers should work to reduce violence by enacting policies that increase treatment options for those who are dangerously mentally ill—a common factor in many acts of mass violence that have occurred in communities across the nation.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
I received the same letter from Senator Cornyn. Nothing from Senator Cruz.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

bblhd672 wrote:I received the same letter from Senator Cornyn. Nothing from Senator Cruz.
Ditto.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

House version, HR 367, picked up four more cosponsors Tuesday, bringing it to 78. None of the new sponsors from Tuesday are from TX.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

HR 367 up to 81 cosponsors yesterday

Return to “Federal”