Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Post by NotRPB »

UPDATE via News 4 San Antonio: A (unarmed) Good Samaritan was shot and killed trying to stop a robbery. Two armed men attempted to rob Kay Jewelers in Rolling Oaks Rolling Oaks Mall just after 3:30 Sunday.

An unarmed man attempted to stop the robbery and was shot and killed. A second man pulled out his concealed weapon and shot one of the suspects. The second suspect fled the scene, shooting as he ran. Their condition has not been released.

The second suspect is still on the run.

The shooting suspect was transported to SAMC in critical condition. A male and female shooting victim were also transported to SAMC. Another person suffered a heart attack at the scene, and another woman went into labor.
More info at: https://www.facebook.com/HeidiAliceVoig ... 4916511318

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

A couple of major mistakes were made by the first guy; 1. He tried to intervene, and 2. He tried to intervene unarmed with an armed suspect. And, while I can understand the concealed carry holder pulling and shooting, especially since the 1st guy had shot the Good Samaritan, it more than likely set the 2nd suspect to shooting as he ran out of the mall. Hopefully the three people injured by the 2nd guy will make full recoveries.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Embalmo »

jmra wrote:Why in the world would an unarmed man confront two armed men? Looks like the LTC was willing to sit back until shots were fired. Sounds like he handled things well. Still dicey with two against one. Glad he is ok. Praying for those injured.
Any update on other shooter?
That is exactly my thoughts. It sounds like possibly no shots would have been fired if the Samaritan hadn't intervened. Maybe the Samaritan intervened because the thief was about to execute a customer or employee. Sounds like the LTC acted in the exact spirit of the carry law in Texas.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

Second mall hit here in San Antonio. People who do go to malls, keep your heads on swivels and please be careful.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Keith B wrote:A couple of major mistakes were made by the first guy; 1. He tried to intervene, and 2. He tried to intervene unarmed with an armed suspect. And, while I can understand the concealed carry holder pulling and shooting, especially since the 1st guy had shot the Good Samaritan, it more than likely set the 2nd suspect to shooting as he ran out of the mall. Hopefully the three people injured by the 2nd guy will make full recoveries.
I agree with what you're saying, but once the first guy was shot wasn't the genie out of the bottle? At that point both guys are guilty of murder and really don't have much to lose. If the LTC does nothing the BGs more than likely panic and become very unpredictable. I just think at that point I'm more comfortable dealing with one armed guy than two. I hate that 3 people were injured but I also see a nightmare senecio where two desperate armed murderers are holding an unknown number of hostages in a police standoff.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

A guy on the local news says he doesn't feel safe anywhere and doesn't know what to do. We need more good guys with guns. We need the guys with LTCs that don't carry, to start carrying.

I bet these mall robbing become more and more frequent with the bad guys seeing on the news that the first guys got away with robbing a jewelry store.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Embalmo wrote:... It sounds like possibly no shots would have been fired if the Samaritan hadn't intervened...
I have always believed this is a large part of the reason that many businesses post in the first place. I believe many of them, especially large businesses, are willing to accept financial loss of a robbery, as long as that is the extent of it. If they can get the robbers out of the store as quickly and as cleanly as possible, that is a much better outcome for them, even with a financial loss, rather than a Good Samaritan inadvertently making the situation worse in a way similar to what happened here today. Just my theory anyway.

Prayers for all the innocents involved.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

thatguyoverthere wrote:
Embalmo wrote:... It sounds like possibly no shots would have been fired if the Samaritan hadn't intervened...
I have always believed this is a large part of the reason that many businesses post in the first place. I believe many of them, especially large businesses, are willing to accept financial loss of a robbery, as long as that is the extent of it. If they can get the robbers out of the store as quickly and as cleanly as possible, that is a much better outcome for them, even with a financial loss, rather than a Good Samaritan inadvertently making the situation worse in a way similar to what happened here today. Just my theory anyway.

Prayers for all the innocents involved.
The Good Samaritan was unarmed. No amount of gun signage would have changed him being shot dead. The store this occurred in was posted. I assume the LTC was standing outside the perimeter of the posted store. The LTC did not act until after the Good Samaritan was shot dead.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Sad the good guys get blamed for the outcome rather than the actual bad guys. I'm sure they could have done things differently or better but let's not blame them by saying they made things worse. Let's be thankful they were willing to risk their lives for others. There will be time to learn from their mistakes once more info is known.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Second murderer has been arrested (in stolen car)
link = tweet with video summary
click the picture in the tweet for the video's sound/audio
https://twitter.com/moses11211/status/8 ... 6580396034

Second news report
link = tweet with video summary click the picture in the tweet for the video's sound/audio
https://twitter.com/MorningExp/status/8 ... 4806612994

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Good Samaratan that was killed has been identified as 42 yr old Jonathan Murphy.

http://www.ksat.com/news/second-suspect ... l-shooting

Prayers for his family
NRA Life Member

Treybadd

Post by Treybadd »

So the police chief makes it sound like it is senseless that good samaritans try to stop crime...not senseless the thugs with guns rob malls.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I didn't get that impression from the linked article:
San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said one of the robbers fatally shot Murphy before a second individual, who was carrying a licensed concealed handgun, then shot and wounded one of the robbers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

doncb

Post by doncb »

Look for the mall to be posted at every entrance very soon. We all know the signs do such a good job at keeping the criminals out. Worked for Kay Jewelers. :banghead:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”