Olympic Arms is going out of business

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Olympic Arms is going out of business

Post by Pawpaw »

From what I've read, the employees just got the notice this morning.

According to the announcement on their website, they'll be gone in a month.

www.olyarms.com
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

warnmar10

Re: Olympic Arms is going out of business

Post by warnmar10 »

I expect more to follow. The AR is a commodity item now and competition is fierce.

jmra

Post by jmra »

warnmar10 wrote:I expect more to follow. The AR is a commodity item now and competition is fierce.
Yep. I was talking to a vendor at a gun show last week who usually has a number of ARs. He said he doesn't even bother bringing them to the shows now because other venders are selling them below cost in order to get people to buy accessories that have a higher profit margin. At the same show I saw DPMS ARs for $475.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

warnmar10 wrote:I expect more to follow. The AR is a commodity item now and competition is fierce.
This, Obama not being in office, and the fact that everybody I know that has an AR, has more than one. I don't see there being any more demand than what there has been the last 8 years which makes me question Savage and Springfield's decision to get into the market.

I have a national match barrel of theirs I bought way back in 2003 and never installed that will be used for a take off parts build later this year.

I'm sad to say I thought Olympic Arms was out of business already. I haven't heard anything about them in years.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

Competition is fierce. I just returned from the SHOT Show and it seemed like 90% of the vendors were selling AR's and those that weren't were selling AR accessories.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Choice creates competition. There are hundreds of options for AR, AR parts, and AR accessories now. It was bound to happen to someone. I'm not surprised its Olympic, and I doubt they will be the last.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

AR accessories are something I've yanked off and installed so many different ones so often on my AR's, my wife refers to them as Barbie One and Two.

Whenever I quote the cost of anything gun related she likes to remind me of the guy who prayed that when he dies he hopes his wife doesn't sell them according to what he said he paid for them vs. what he actually paid for them...

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I have an Olympic in 556 with a heavy barrel, actually a great gun and the cheapest heavy barrel I could find. But it's all about money, if there's no profit it's time to shut the doors.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I always heard Olympic Arms AR's were good shooters. However, they were always a lower cost gun. Right now there are dozens of low cost guns and uppers available. Very crowded market.

I was actually thinking that I hadn't seen an Olympic Arms gun at a gun show since before the Connecticut shooting triggered the buying spree. Before that, I used to see them more often.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”