Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Instructor Alert

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you are a DPS LTC Instructor, you should have received an email from DPS yesterday about using the correct CHL-100. Apparently, some instructors are using forms that were created prior to the 12/2015 revision. Some are even using the old NRC versions with DPS serial numbers! All instructors need to use the correct CHL-100 (Rev. 12/2015) now, but DPS will no long accept incorrect forms as of March 1, 2017. The Rev. 12/2015 has a very important notation in the Handgun Use & Safety time slot that indicates instructors have taught the mandatory segment on use of restraint holsters. This isn't the only reason to use the current version of the form, but as an attorney, I want that phrase in my CHL-100s that are signed by my students.

If you did not get the DPS email, then first check your spam filter to see if it was blocked. If not, then send an email to DPS with your current email address. All of us need to be able to receive DPS emails and on a timely basis. DPS doesn't send spam and when they do send an email, all of us need to get that information.

Do not submit CHL-100s for your students. While instructors doing that are providing a service to their students, it often creates a problem. Some percentage of students who take the class never submit an application to DPS. Without an active application, there is no "file" to which an instructor-submitted CHL-100 can be associated.

Chas.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructor Alert

Post by Crossfire »

Thank you, Charles! I did get the email, but my partner in crime (I mean TRAINING!) did not. So, obviously, it did not make it to everyone.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Without an active application, there is no "file" to which an instructor-submitted CHL-100 can be associated.
FYI, at the instructor course earlier this month, RSD stated the best way to submit an application/docs if you're a student is this:
Start your application the day before you submit/upload your docs (CHL-100, etc.). Then upload your docs. This way, when you upload your docs, your file/folder has been started and they get added there. If you submit docs at the same time as starting your application, it takes a while for the system to update, so most attachments done at the same time go in an overflow folder since their is no active application in the system yet, and someone at RSD has to go and manually attach files to the right application. Just something instructors could let their students know (might help their application go faster too).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Without an active application, there is no "file" to which an instructor-submitted CHL-100 can be associated.
FYI, at the instructor course earlier this month, RSD stated the best way to submit an application/docs if you're a student is this:
Start your application the day before you submit/upload your docs (CHL-100, etc.). Then upload your docs. This way, when you upload your docs, your file/folder has been started and they get added there. If you submit docs at the same time as starting your application, it takes a while for the system to update, so most attachments done at the same time go in an overflow folder since their is no active application in the system yet, and someone at RSD has to go and manually attach files to the right application. Just something instructors could let their students know (might help their application go faster too).
Thanks, I'll be sure to cover this with my students.

Chas.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I kinda wonder if this sort of thing happened with my application to become an LTC instructor submitted last April. I sent the documents via their secure email right after submitting my application. Months later when I asked about it they first did not show that my documents had been received, then said they found them. I followed up a few weeks later and they again did not have my documents associated with my application, so I forwarded the documents again, and they got it all sorted out. I go to the class next week.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I was not aware of how it happened. I was aware that it did happen, I ask students to let me know when they apply and when the receive their LTC(had one just report a 26 day turnaround) I started the practice of telling students to wait for their barcode before sending in any supporting documents and that included DD214, CHL100 or court documents showing details of arrest. Those who follow that practice, definitely receive their LTC quicker than those who send something with the original application.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

locke_n_load wrote:
Thanks for posting this!
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

No problem.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “DPS Updates”