Discharging firearm in a residential area

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Discharging firearm in a residential area

Post by skeathley »

Yes, discharging a firearm in a residential area is a crime, and you can be arrested. I am wondering if police will cut you any slack if you use a .22 to shoot a dangerous animal in your back yard?

In my neighborhood, a new stadium project is wiping out dozens of acres of farmland, driving bobcats into residential areas. We have a neighborhood app, with numerous reports of people finding bobcats in their back yard, on their front porch, attacks on dogs/cats, finding eviscerated cats/squirrels/owls, etc.

If necessary, I could handle this without endangering the neighbors, but I worry about my Yorkie, and don't want to lose my license.

Would it help if I claimed the bobcat attacked me?

The opinion of a LEO would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SK
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Mike S

Re: Discharging firearm in a residential area

Post by Mike S »

Personally, I wouldn't 'claim' anything if it weren't true.

Also, I don't believe it's unlawful everywhere in Texas to discharge a firearm in a residential area; that'd be a local ordinance and will vary. It's against our deed restrictions to discharge a firearm in our neighborhood, but that's a civil matter (resulting in a fine to the HOA). It would only be a criminal matter if the projectile crosses your property line into the property of another, unless your local ordinance says it's unlawful.

I believe the Game Warden would be the best person to ask regarding what legal methods are available to dispose of a nuisance critter. I believe the Game regulations say you can kill certain predators if they are a problem, but you cannot keep/sell the pelts unless you have a furbearing trappers license.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Depends on the LEO as to what happens... I grew up in Garland on a 4 acre pond in the middle of a subdivision. A neighbor shot 6 or 7 big snakes over the years and cops showed up everytime. He showed them the carcass and they never said anything more than "wow, big snake... you know it's illegal to shoot a shotgun here but seeing what you did, we'll let it go this time."

I could see a scenario where that goes the other way, also.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If a bobcat is a legitimate threat then Necessity should be enough legal justification, but a municipal ordinance is a C misdemeanor at most, right?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Flechero

In the Garland I grew up in during the 1960s, the police I knew and encountered would have asked if they could skin it and keep the skin. Of course, that was in the days when there was open farm land between Dallas and Garland and Plano was a sleepy little town where the biggest business in town was Plano Lumber and Hardware. September at Garland High School then had loads of cars and trucks with shot guns because those of us NOT practicing football were going dove hunting and the Principal, Mr. Hudson and Assistant Principal Mr. Butler (who was feared by all) only required that you keep 'em in your car and don't mess with them during school hours.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

On the down side, whether or not you would lose your license would depend upon the crime you would be charged with and if you were found guilty after seeing a judge. If it is just a Class C misdemeanor in your city then I doubt you would lose your license.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

It would be ashamed if you trapped it, took it to a council meeting to ask what can be done about wild animals in a backyard like the one in the cage and Oops! the latch failed. :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I am not a lawyer, nor am I LEO.

And I'm speaking in VERY broad generalities...

But, most of the laws, regulations, ordinances, etc. that would restrict discharging a firearm in most any situation are coupled with an affirmative defense that, in layman's terms, comes down to "it needed doing..."

Not that you might not have to defend it in court, of course, but that's something to keep in mind. It boils down to justification.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Over the Years I've relied on one question to determine IF I should/could/would do something that is borderline illegal or just in a gray area, and It is a question I think any texas court must take into account. "Is it reasonable and prudent" that I choose that course of action, or inaction as the case may be. Your question is a great example of this. "well, your honor - I believed it was reasonable that i fired one shot to dispatch a known predator with a clear line-of-sight and faith in my ability to do so as evidenced by my scores over years of target practice, AND prudent that the known predator was dispatched before causing serious bodily injury or death to myself, my family or my pets that are under my charge for safekeeping." Now if you went off shooting crazy in the air to scare it away, that may not be reasonable. and if the bobcat was walking along the edge of your property line back into a wooded area, it may not be prudent. It is a defense but not an affirmative defense and handy when you just aren't sure of the law. Most laws are based on common sense. Except city ordinances hahaha. Some of those are crazy dumb.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

One matter to consider when discharging a firearm in self defense in violation of a local ordinance, is that you will likely lose your presumption of reasonableness under 9.32.
PC §9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
(a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
(b) The actor’s belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.
This means your reasonableness presumption is pretty much gone in most major cities which have ordinances against discharging a firearm in city limits. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jason812

Post by jason812 »

One shot from a .22 will be hard to pinpoint where it came from. Keep your mouth shut and don't post on Facebook. Other than that get a live trap or a snare, just be prepared to catch the neighbor's or a feral house cat.

Other option is a good pellet rifle. They come with supressors now and should be pretty quiet.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Interesting read on air gun suppressors/moderators:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgu ... st_2006/32
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

822.101 does list bobcat as an official "dangerous" animal. I believe you would slide if you shot it while it was attacking your livestock or domestic pet. Perry skated on shooting a coyote.

iamal
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

AF-Odin wrote:Flechero

In the Garland I grew up in during the 1960s, the police I knew and encountered would have asked if they could skin it and keep the skin. Of course, that was in the days when there was open farm land between Dallas and Garland and Plano was a sleepy little town where the biggest business in town was Plano Lumber and Hardware. September at Garland High School then had loads of cars and trucks with shot guns because those of us NOT practicing football were going dove hunting and the Principal, Mr. Hudson and Assistant Principal Mr. Butler (who was feared by all) only required that you keep 'em in your car and don't mess with them during school hours.
That was a few years ahead of my time but there was still a lot of farm land around there in my day. I see you are almost my neighbor! We're outside of Belton these days. :tiphat:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”