Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Post by C-dub »

Two weeks ago a friend let me borrow his ACOG to try it out on my carbine and see if I liked it or not. It was GREAT! Thank you The Marshal!

Last week I bought the TA31RCO-M4CP for myself and this weekend I took it and my daughter and several firearms and a whole bunch of ammo the range to sight it in and have some fun. I went to one of the 25 yard bays at my club and couldn't believe my eyes. According to some folks on the M4Carbine site the 300 yard marker in the BDC. Using that and that the manual says that the scope is centered at the factory and should require little adjustment to sight in, I found that my first few shots POI were 2" high and 4" left of POA. I was able to make elevation adjustments and was right on there. However, I could get the windage adjustment no closer than still 3" left from POA. The precision was great. I was placing 3, 4, 5 shots all touching each other, but still no better than 3" left. Another friend that happened to be at the club today came over and tried it out with the same results, so I know it wasn't me. The Marshal even reminded me about the slap or tapping thing each time and adjustment is made before shooting again, but to no avail.

Unless any of you fine folks know what I'm doing or did wrong or didn't do I think I'm going to have to contact Trijicon about this. I have read about a few of their sights just flat not adjusting. Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to correct it? What did you do?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fun, but disappointing day at the range.

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:Two weeks ago a friend let me borrow his ACOG to try it out on my carbine and see if I liked it or not. It was GREAT! Thank you The Marshal!

Last week I bought the TA31RCO-M4CP for myself and this weekend I took it and my daughter and several firearms and a whole bunch of ammo the range to sight it in and have some fun. I went to one of the 25 yard bays at my club and couldn't believe my eyes. According to some folks on the M4Carbine site the 300 yard marker in the BDC. Using that and that the manual says that the scope is centered at the factory and should require little adjustment to sight in, I found that my first few shots POI were 2" high and 4" left of POA. I was able to make elevation adjustments and was right on there. However, I could get the windage adjustment no closer than still 3" left from POA. The precision was great. I was placing 3, 4, 5 shots all touching each other, but still no better than 3" left. Another friend that happened to be at the club today came over and tried it out with the same results, so I know it wasn't me. The Marshal even reminded me about the slap or tapping thing each time and adjustment is made before shooting again, but to no avail.

Unless any of you fine folks know what I'm doing or did wrong or didn't do I think I'm going to have to contact Trijicon about this. I have read about a few of their sights just flat not adjusting. Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to correct it? What did you do?
I would contact Trijicon. NO scope should do that. I've had an ACOG now for several years, and I love it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

I had trouble setting the windage on my ACOG when I first tried to sight it in. It turned out I was just bein overly cautious. I thought I was at the limit of adjustment when in reality I wasn't even close.

I was very surprised how much adjustment those scopes really have.

Edit: Here's my thread from 2011: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=41764
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Okay, I may give it another try. It is an awesome scope and than being left it works beautifully.

Have you heard of the hitting or smacking thing after each adjustment before shooting again? Where exactly is one supposed to do this. I may not be doing this properly. Also, how hard? I know it is reputed to be tough as a tank and all, but c'mon. These things ain't cheap.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:I had trouble setting the windage on my ACOG when I first tried to sight it in. It turned out I was just bein overly cautious. I thought I was at the limit of adjustment when in reality I wasn't even close.

I was very surprised how much adjustment those scopes really have.

Edit: Here's my thread from 2011: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=41764
Thanks for that Pawpaw. I remember that thread now that you've reminded me. I don't think I've gone a full revolution yet and was also worried for the same reason.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

One more thing to remember is that it will take a lot more clicks to get 1" of adjustment at shorter ranges.

For instance, my scope is 2 clicks per MOA. At 100 yards, it will take 2 clicks to move the POI 1" (approximately). at 50 yards, it will take 4 clicks to move 1". At 25 yards... 8 clicks.

I've read about the necessity to thump the scope after adjustment. I haven't noticed the issue with mine, but just to be sure I smack it with the heel of my hand while holding the rifle loosely in my other hand.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:One more thing to remember is that it will take a lot more clicks to get 1" of adjustment at shorter ranges.

For instance, my scope is 2 clicks per MOA. At 100 yards, it will take 2 clicks to move the POI 1" (approximately). at 50 yards, it will take 4 clicks to move 1". At 25 yards... 8 clicks.

I've read about the necessity to thump the scope after adjustment. I haven't noticed the issue with mine, but just to be sure I smack it with the heel of my hand while holding the rifle loosely in my other hand.
Good grief! I can't do math in my head anymore. Mine in=s the same and somehow I came up with only 4 clicks to adjust one inch at 25 yards. :oops:

It appears like I may have quite a bit of travel left and there may still be hope for this scope. I do like it quite a bit.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:

And I am a happy camper.

I got out to the range before the rain blew through this morning and took another new item with me to test out. Midway had those Ammocam things on sale and I ordered one and it arrived on Wednesday. It works really cool!

After my last/first rand session with my new ACOG still fresh in my mind, before taking my first shot today I cranked the windage adjustment almost one full turn to the right. Then I smacked it pretty good with there'll of my hand 2-3 times. The first shot was only about0.5-1.0 inches left of POA. :anamatedbanana

8 more clicks right and the next three shots were in the bull and all touching each other. The first two were almost in the same hole.

This was only at 25 yards and I didn't have time to move over to the 100 yard line, but this makes me very happy. I'll hit the 100 yard line next time out.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:
Pawpaw was right, but I was not wrong. NO scope SHOULD do that - Trijicon or not. I understand the mechanics of why it happens. But that still doesn't make it right. If you had to give your steering wheel 2 or 3 good hard raps with a wrench, after you had cranked in the turns, in order to make those turns take effect at the wheels...........that would not be right, and it would be correct for me to say that "NO steering wheel should do that." None of my scopes, including my ACOG, have ever needed that.

Now go bite your tongue. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote:Funny, I happen to have bought the exact same model - arrived a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting it to the range - I've merely bore-sighted it for now.
You may find this useful:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
C-dub wrote:Pawpaw was right and TAM was "wrong." :shock:
Pawpaw was right, but I was not wrong. NO scope SHOULD do that - Trijicon or not. I understand the mechanics of why it happens. But that still doesn't make it right. If you had to give your steering wheel 2 or 3 good hard raps with a wrench, after you had cranked in the turns, in order to make those turns take effect at the wheels...........that would not be right, and it would be correct for me to say that "NO steering wheel should do that." None of my scopes, including my ACOG, have ever needed that.

Now go bite your tongue. :lol:
That's why it was in quotes. I just forgot the little :biggrinjester:

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
AndyC wrote:Funny, I happen to have bought the exact same model - arrived a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting it to the range - I've merely bore-sighted it for now.
You may find this useful:
Yeah, it's in the manual. Also, from the M4Carbine forum, I was using the 300y mark for shooting at 25y. Since I didn't get to they 100y line today I'll have to wait and see how close I am to a 100yzero another day.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm glad it worked out.

As for me being right, it just proves the old adage that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. ;-)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”