Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Who here has NVD?

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Thanks!

I've been away for a few days and haven't caught up on all the threads...

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:[
That said, I think that the thermal imaging riflescope (regardless of brand) is probably the best choice for the person who can afford ONE item, and not 10 of them, simply because it operates very well in the area that they most need NV for - meaning hunting, particularly hog hunting - without needing an IR light source to light up the target area. Only time will tell if this ThOR scope of mine actually gets as much use as I'd like to think it will.
Certainly can't disagree with that analysis at all, however this is a pretty darn attractive price point for entry level digital NV:

http://defenderoutdoors.com/bushnell-26 ... t-ar-mount
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Certainly can't disagree with that analysis at all, however this is a pretty darn attractive price point for entry level digital NV:

Dang, now gotta add another item to my wish list.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

bblhd672 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote: Certainly can't disagree with that analysis at all, however this is a pretty darn attractive price point for entry level digital NV:

Buy it now and bring to the low light training on April 1st :evil2:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 12

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

(A) WHAT low light training on April 1st? I'd like more details....

(B) I'm heading to California this coming May for a couple of weeks, and we'll be trailer-camping, both coming and going, and while we're there. I'm also a member at Calguns.net, and I haven't kept 100% on top of California laws concerning guns and accessories like NVDs. I posted a thread over there asking for advice about my thermal sight, because I'll probably bring it with me, for wildlife observation and such while I'm camping, but I won't have mounted on a weapon. But my concern is that either of the long guns I am considering bringing along is capable of mounting the thermal sight, so I didn't know if (A) the sight was legal to have in California, and (B) if having an unmounted thermal sight + a long gun capable of accepting the sight = some kind of weird "constructive possession" or something like that.

Here's what they told me. There's a sticky thread in their optics forum that says:
Summary...
Active IR scope with magnification = illegal
Active IR scope with no magnification = legal

Passive IR scope with magnification = legal
Passive IR scope with magnification and an IR illuminator = illegal
Passive IR scope with no magnifcation = legal
Passive IR scope with no magnification and an IR illuminator = legal

Active IR goggles with magnification = legal
Active IR goggles with no magnification = legal

Passive IR goggles with magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with magnification and an IR illuminator = legal
Passive IR googles with no magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with no magnification and an IR illuminator = lega
l
Unfortunately, your unit has both magnification and an illuminator, making it illegal in California, or I'd buy one and take it with me. Cheaper to lose a $250 unit than a $2000 unit if it got confiscated. But I did just pass on the recommendation to my son. Have you tried yours yet? Does it stand up to AR recoil OK? (My son's worried that when they say "ARs", Bushnell means .22LR ARs......)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

(A) WHAT low light training on April 1st? I'd like more details....
http://txconcealedcarry.com/event/shoot ... low-light/
The Annoyed Man wrote:(Unfortunately, your unit has both magnification and an illuminator, making it illegal in California, or I'd buy one and take it with me. Cheaper to lose a $250 unit than a $2000 unit if it got confiscated. But I did just pass on the recommendation to my son. Have you tried yours yet? Does it stand up to AR recoil OK? (My son's worried that when they say "ARs", Bushnell means .22LR ARs......)
I don't have it yet, just received the offer today via email, jeez... :biggrinjester:

NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 12

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I went to a park near my house tonight where it was pretty dark, and I shot some video in several color palettes. This is the "black" hot pallet. YouTube has compressed the file so the image quality is not as good as the original. (For instance, the reticle is actually orange, not yellow.) The trees furthest from me at the edges of the open area are perhaps 125-150 yards away. I'll have to lase it some time to make sure. The time was 9:45 pm. Yes, I still have to set the date in the scope setup......:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”