HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I would love to say so much more folks, but this is a public forum and I simply cannot expound on the situation. We need to fight hard for some very important gun bills we have filed. Clarifying "school activity grounds," exempting volunteer church security teams from the Occupations Code, dramatically lowering the LTC fee and several more improvements deserve our full support. We need to be strong in our opposition to anti-gun bills. We cannot let our anger at the death of HB560 yet again destroy our impact on Texas gun laws overall.

I will say this much. I'm a good soldier, but I cannot control everything, everyone or every organization. Immediately after this session is over, I will announce a new effort. I've outlined a comprehensive bill dealing with the carrying of handguns with and without a license in terms of license requirements, eligibility, off-limits areas, self-defense and more. When time permits, I will draft this comprehensive bill and when the session is over, I will launch this entirely new program. If we have a massive response it will be successful, otherwise, it will fail. It's that simple. Unfortunately, among the gun community as everywhere else in life, less than 10% of a group carry the load for everyone else. Only time will tell how many Texas gun owners are serious about sweeping changes to our gun laws.

Chas.
Thanks Charles! Long live the US 2nd Amendment and Texas Sec 23!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:I'm disappointed about HB 560, but to be honest I wanted it for selfish reasons. I believe the same can be said for all of us.

In truth, HB 1911 has the potential of helping many more Texans than 560 ever would. It could particularly help lower income folks who have no choice but to live in some of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the state.

I agree, and as Charles stated, there are still bills that we need to get behind. I get the feeling that most non-LTC gun owners, have been sitting on their hands this session. Maybe because of the outcome of the Presidential election, I don't know, but there is definitely an apathetic attitude out there. In fact, several gun owners, I have spoken with, even some LTC holders, are of the opinion, that with the win in the White House, we don't have anything to worry about. They believe that with OC, and Campus Carry, all of our issues are resolved. I have already sent more e-mails to my reps.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I would love to say so much more folks, but this is a public forum and I simply cannot expound on the situation. We need to fight hard for some very important gun bills we have filed. Clarifying "school activity grounds," exempting volunteer church security teams from the Occupations Code, dramatically lowering the LTC fee and several more improvements deserve our full support. We need to be strong in our opposition to anti-gun bills. We cannot let our anger at the death of HB560 yet again destroy our impact on Texas gun laws overall.

I will say this much. I'm a good soldier, but I cannot control everything, everyone or every organization. Immediately after this session is over, I will announce a new effort. I've outlined a comprehensive bill dealing with the carrying of handguns with and without a license in terms of license requirements, eligibility, off-limits areas, self-defense and more. When time permits, I will draft this comprehensive bill and when the session is over, I will launch this entirely new program. If we have a massive response it will be successful, otherwise, it will fail. It's that simple. Unfortunately, among the gun community as everywhere else in life, less than 10% of a group carry the load for everyone else. Only time will tell how many Texas gun owners are serious about sweeping changes to our gun laws.

Chas.
What bills still have a good chance to pass and need our support Charles?

And with the substitutes of 375/1911, other than carry w/in 1,000 ft of a school, NICS checks, and reciprocity, would there be any other advantages to having an LTC?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I would love to say so much more folks, but this is a public forum and I simply cannot expound on the situation.

Unfortunately, among the gun community as everywhere else in life, less than 10% of a group carry the load for everyone else. Only time will tell how many Texas gun owners are serious about sweeping changes to our gun laws.

Chas.
Charles, with all due respect, I understand why you are hesitant to say anything further but please understand, being kept in the dark leads many to be very frustrated with the system and how things are done. Maybe the way the system is set up with only I riders be given the opportunity to know what is actually going on leads to less participation and fewer people helping to carry the load. Ignorance is not as beneficial and blissful as many think. Too much of our lawmaking is done in secret and behind closed doors. When only insiders know what's going on only insiders are prepared to carry the load.

As I asked previously, what significant bills are still alive? How heavy are the headwinds? What can us outsiders do to help carry the load?

Thanks for all you do. Just wish there was more transparency in the process.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Transparency would be very nice. Also I would like to see liability on the business that's posted. If that could get inserted to something else it would be nice
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

875 was supposed to have a public hearing today. Did it? Any reports?
-Ruark

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I look at the priorities of the TSRA as a sort of chess game. They may be looking ahead. I think the strategy might be to make the LTC as attractive as possible before pushing for the Constitutional carry. Maybe the TSRA believes that the licensed people are safer more responsible and more likely to be supporting the NRA/TSRA . Getting the pieces together such as reciprocity, free licensing, and authority to carry more places, makes the LTC more desirable.
If what you say is true, why did they feature unlicensed carry? I'm ok with the free license. But they also featured unlicensed carry instead of reducing restricted locations.
I think they are apeasing to their membership, but maybe their heart when push comes to shove, is to put 560 before all others. 560 is a bit complex and a little hard to explain in a news letter..

I still think we have a good chance to get the whole enchilada
Hope you didn't have your heart set on that enchilada.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Liberty »

mojo84 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I look at the priorities of the TSRA as a sort of chess game. They may be looking ahead. I think the strategy might be to make the LTC as attractive as possible before pushing for the Constitutional carry. Maybe the TSRA believes that the licensed people are safer more responsible and more likely to be supporting the NRA/TSRA . Getting the pieces together such as reciprocity, free licensing, and authority to carry more places, makes the LTC more desirable.
If what you say is true, why did they feature unlicensed carry? I'm ok with the free license. But they also featured unlicensed carry instead of reducing restricted locations.
I think they are apeasing to their membership, but maybe their heart when push comes to shove, is to put 560 before all others. 560 is a bit complex and a little hard to explain in a news letter..

I did, and am very disappointed. Seems to me the unlicensed open carry zealots are getting what they want at the expense of those of us who have gone through the process. These last couple of sessions have been a lot more productive for them than the rest of us.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ralewis
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ralewis »

Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

I did, and am very disappointed. Seems to me the unlicensed open carry zealots are getting what they want at the expense of those of us who have gone through the process. These last couple of sessions have been a lot more productive for them than the rest of us.
:iagree: :iagree:

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 10

Post by treadlightly »

Chas.
Looking forward to the new effort announcement. If it's in my ability, I'd like to help.

ralewis
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ralewis »

treadlightly wrote:

Chas.
Looking forward to the new effort announcement. If it's in my ability, I'd like to help.
Ditto... I'm pretty active emailing with my State Rep/Senator and have consistently made my voter opinion on priorities (for any issue important to me, not just 2A) known. Happy to help with a broader effort as well.

Alf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Alf »

Liberty wrote:I did, and am very disappointed. Seems to me the unlicensed open carry zealots are getting what they want at the expense of those of us who have gone through the process. These last couple of sessions have been a lot more productive for them than the rest of us.
Maybe they're better organized. They seem able to muster a lot of supporters for committee hearings.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

OCT and Texas Carry definitely bring more in person support than I have seen for a gun bill in a long, long time. Definitely doesn't hurt (as long as it's peaceful).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

terrymixon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by terrymixon »

I've followed bills here quietly over the last few sessions and I'm bitterly disappointed at the death of this bill. It's all fine and good to say we shouldn't allow anger at what I see as a betrayal by our elected officials to stop other bills that will still do good.

Fine. I get that.

On the other hand, the murky process where our lawmakers deny us our rights behind closed doors session after session with no consequences has to end, too. There's only so much good will we should give them before we remind them they serve us and should fear our anger and disappointment.

If too many people become disappointed, we start staying home. That has bad consequences across the board. I don't want that, but I'm not willing to just allow entitled public servants to continue to ignore our will. Losing support is the only currency they understand.

They screwed us this time. Next time it might be them getting screwed if they don't do what we voters demand. I'm tired of being told to sit down and shut up so that we might get something in the next session. Session after session.

Our lawmakers better start delivering or we'll start getting more democrats elected because we're tired of being denied.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomtexan »

terrymixon wrote:
Our lawmakers better start delivering or we'll start getting more democrats elected because we're tired of being denied.
Wait. What?

You think for one minute that Democrats aren't going to deny what we want?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something. :headscratch
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”