Glock 17 or 19

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Glock 17 or 19

Post by cmgee67 »

I am planning on buying another Glock in the next few weeks and I am trying to decide if I should buy another 19 which I already EDC or buy a 17. I think having the longer sight radius would be nice with the 17 and all of my open ended holsters will work with the gun but then again should I just get the 19 and be done with it. Also I currently own and use gen 3 Glocks. Is there any advantage to go with a gen 4 besides maybe a duel recoil spring? I've always used gen three and never had an issue and always get them a little cheaper. For those that own a 17 is it worth the extra 1inch or just stay with a 19.

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock 17 or 19

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I have slightly larger hands and the 17 is much more comfortable for me to get a full grip on. My 19 I had to have the trigger guard under cut to fit better.(stupid finger groves) just my 2 cents and that's about all it's worth. :mrgreen:

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I had to also get my trigger guard under cut front finger as well. Maybe the 17 would be a little more comfortable? Although either or will be fine. I'm goin to leave it bone stock. My carry gun has upgraded sights stipple grip undercut guard and vickers slide release.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Glock 19 and bought a Glock 17. I now wished rather than the Glock 17 I would have bought the Glock 34.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Why is that

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Back at the time the G19 was my EDC and I knew most likely I wouldn't carry the G17. I wanted the extra length in the barrel. The G17 barrel is just under 5" (almost the same as a Government model 1911). The G34 is just over 5" about 1" longer than the G17. I ran into a friend of mine who carries the G35 (the .40) and he had no issues concealing it. I look back and I think if I would have bought the G34 I might have carried it from time to time. In 1983 I carried a S&W 586 in 6" when I first started as a LEO. So I already knew how the G34 would be easy to carry even when riding in a car.

There was just not enough difference I guess in the G19 and the G17 to make much of a difference to me.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

carlson1 wrote:I have a Glock 19 and bought a Glock 17. I now wished rather than the Glock 17 I would have bought the Glock 34.
I ordered a 34 today. My first Glock.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My first "for me" (not for my wife) Glock was a G17. I used to EDC it until I bought the G19, which is a slightly more practical carry gun with its more compact size. BUT...... I still sometimes carry the G17, and it has the handgun place of honor next to my bed (alongside a suppressed .300 Blk SBR) for middle-of-the-night social work, while the G19 goes on the rack until morning.

I added +2 round extenders to all my G17 mags, so with three magazines loaded to capacity +1 in the pipe, that's 58 rounds on hand, which is just shy of the 60+1 round total for FOUR G19 magazines. The G17 is an excellent gun, and it does fit my hand better than the G19, but like I said, the G19 is just a bit easier to carry every day.

If you've already got a G19, I'd say get a G17. You can EDC a G17 just fine. It's just that I prefer the slightly more compact G19 for EDC. As far as which generation to buy, I personally prefer the Gen4 guns because I can tailor them to fit my hands better than the Gen3 guns. But the Gen3 guns are perfectly good guns, and you'll pay a noticeable amount less for a Gen3 than a Gen4.

I DO wish that Glock would get rid of the finger bumps on the front straps of their guns. Totally unnecessary.......unless maybe you've got weak little euro-sissy hands.......... :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

...unless maybe you've got weak little euro-sissy hands.......... :mrgreen:

This made me laugh and think of a certain person who that pertains to lol! The finger grooves don't bother to bad but I did get rid of them on my 19 that I carry. I think the G34 should be a 20+1 gun factory. That would be sweet. But I'm going to heavily look at the 17 in the coming weeks and maybe I can go shoot one a bit before I buy. I have a gun shop that will let you shoot it if you want to buy it.

The Annoyed Man

cmgee67 wrote:...unless maybe you've got weak little euro-sissy hands.......... :mrgreen:

This made me laugh and think of a certain person who that pertains to lol! The finger grooves don't bother to bad but I did get rid of them on my 19 that I carry. I think the G34 should be a 20+1 gun factory. That would be sweet. But I'm going to heavily look at the 17 in the coming weeks and maybe I can go shoot one a bit before I buy. I have a gun shop that will let you shoot it if you want to buy it.
I don't know that much about the 34, except that it appears to be a sort of customized 17, and also, being the overall biggest 9mm Glock, it is fitting that its number is the inverse of one of the two smallest Glocks. :mrgreen:

Unless you want to go with a competition oriented holster of some kind, I suspect that you'll have an easier time finding a good carry holster for a G17 than a G34........at least that would be my guess.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I once heard a really good saying about the Glock finger grooves. Something like: "If the Glock finger grooves do not bother you, it is because you do not notice them. If you do not notice their presence, then you will not notice their absence. For those that are bothered by the Glock finger grooves, their absence will make all the difference in the world."

His point was, about the new G17M, that removing the grooves will be one of the best things that Glock could do.

Get the 17, and then a 34, then a 26, then a 43, then a 21, then another 19...........
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

warnmar10 wrote:I ordered a 34 today. My first Glock.
Because of this thread I have decided to put my G17 (Grey Frame) up for sale when I get back home and I am going to buy a G34. :fire

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

As a multiple Glock owner I also carry a 19 g3 as EDC, but do have the 17 for open carry if I ever want to like hiking or motorcycle rides. Had a 34 and it is just too long. the 19 is small for my grown up man hands (not euro) but is still easy to shoot. Gen 4 has changeable straps (never used) and recoil spring (dont feel a difference) so not worth it to me personally. I would get a 17 simply because you have a 19 already. Remember too that they have conversion barrels to switch calibers and they work reliably from my experience. one other benefit to a 17 is the extra mags now that fit your 19 (but stick out). That reminded me, the gen4 comes with an extra mag so do the math on your deal, might be worth it if price difference is small enough.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I picked up a G34. It is just about the same size of a full size 1911. I was thinking the barrel was longer, but it is not. Comp Tac makes holsters for the G34.

The Annoyed Man

rm9792 wrote:As a multiple Glock owner I also carry a 19 g3 as EDC, but do have the 17 for open carry if I ever want to like hiking or motorcycle rides. Had a 34 and it is just too long. the 19 is small for my grown up man hands (not euro) but is still easy to shoot. Gen 4 has changeable straps (never used) and recoil spring (dont feel a difference) so not worth it to me personally. I would get a 17 simply because you have a 19 already. Remember too that they have conversion barrels to switch calibers and they work reliably from my experience. one other benefit to a 17 is the extra mags now that fit your 19 (but stick out). That reminded me, the gen4 comes with an extra mag so do the math on your deal, might be worth it if price difference is small enough.
I thought about the G34 back when, but ended up buying a G17. I decided that I already own two 5" guns (1911s), and don't need another - on top of which I didn't see that much of an incremental increase in performance for having a 1/2" more barrel. Maybe the sight radius is a little longer, but not by a whole lot. I went with a Gen4 G17 because the changeable back straps mattered to me. My wife already owned a Gen3 G19, but I just didn't like the grip much. I EDC'd the G17 for a while and it carries fairly well because it is so light for its size, but there were situations where it just wasn't as practical as a slightly smaller gun would be. Yes, it conceals, but not as easily; and then also I'm a lefty, so having the longer grip sticking out as I try to exit a vehicle was a pain in my posterior because it sticks out too much and catches on the edge of the seat, and other stuff as I'm pivoting to exit (an SUV). The size of my wife's G19 was about perfect, and I had owned and carried another similarly sized pistols and liked them - a USP Compact, and a XDM Compact 3.8, so I eventually bought a G19 - also a Gen4. I recently bought a Gen4 G26 too. I own a G43, and it's a nice little gun to carry for those times when you want to be more deeply concealed, but it lacks magazine compatibility with the other two guns, which is why I ended up buying the G26. I think that if I had bought the 26 first, I might never have bought the 43. I don't regret owning it, but it would have been for the most part unnecessary. There's something to be said for a subcompact gun that will accept the magazines from a compact and full-sized guns.

These days, I mostly carry the 19 or the 26, regardless of whether its OC or CC. The 17 is my bedside gun with a TLR-S light mounted on it, and I don't often carry it anymore. I have no regrets about buying it, and if I were camping somewhere where I could not bring a long gun for some reason or other, I'd be happy to carry the 17, but the 19 is the perfect size for EDC, and the 17 is just a little bit big for that........for me.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”