Does your carry gun make you happy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Does your carry gun make you happy

Post by cmgee67 »

I personally find satisfaction in walking around with my carry gun. The feeing of dang this gun is a good looking gun but it's concealed and nobody knows it's there. It's so slim yet packed full of 45acp. It doesn't weigh me down because of my beltman belt and that back up mag on my left side balances things so well. I as many of you know for the last week got my 45 shield and have carried it daily and have loved it.... concealment xpress kydex holster worn at 3:00 or 4:00 is perfect and if I have to go appendix I can. This gun just makes me happy. I have carried a lot of guns and while the mouse LCP was awesome for comeplete and total forgetting it had it there because it was so light, it was just that too light. The glock 19 has been my companion 70% of the time for two years being in the rotation and it has been a wonderful carry gun but just too thick for iwb for me. I have enjoyed it and delt with it but never felt really comfortable. The shield changed all of that.

Does your carry gun make you happy?

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does your carry gun make you happy

Post by strogg »

As a new LTC holder, yes, it definitely makes me happy to be able to exercise my rights as a US citizen. Does it make me feel any safer? Eh... I oddly feel safer here than I did back in California with or without the gun, so it's kinda hard to argue either way.

I *almost* got the .45 shield. I shot it and loved it, but the FNS-9C wasn't that much bigger, holds more rounds, and felt a lot better in my hand, so I ended up going for that for summertime carry. It conceals perfectly with a SGUSA holster. I'm still trying to find the perfect position, though. It naturally finds a position at 4 o'clock, but the grip digs into my kidney area when I sit, making it less comfortable. If I cant the gun forward more, it won't dig in, but drawing it with a good grip isn't natural. I'll keep playing with it.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

I wore a toolbelt for so many years that I generally forget it is there. Used to a lot more weight on a belt.
Last edited by hovercat on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I would really be happy in a world that does not require a carry gun for protection from other humans. However, looking back in history, that time has never existed past Garden of Eden. Since, I cannot guess if I will be one of the unfortunate that will need to protect myself, I carry at all times when legal. Yes, I am happy when I carry, I usually carry Glocks. I do on occasion carry a FNS 9mm but usually it is a G 30, 27, 19 or 26 (don't want them fighting because of jealousy in the safe when I am not looking), I bug a G43. Depending on where and how I feel, I carry in a belly band or safariland OB (but concealed) or a crossbreed supertuck. I know when I am in the belly band, greatly slows down draw time but it is better than a pocket of rocks.
When I absolutely can not carry, I take my hardwood defense cane (which I practice with). So even when I am not real happy, I can still smile.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Yes.

I feel satisfaction related to planning and problem solving, i.e., specifically the questions of what and how to carry. (Of course, to what extent I've solved anything always remains to be tested.)

I also feel the pleasure of the collector -- possessing and carrying (even discretely) guns whose brand, type, history, etc. I identify with, or just like.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I of course lived in the UK for most of my life. When I was young I felt quite safe walking the streets alone at night. I felt that started to change in the 70s when we first heard of muggings over there. Then in the 80s we seemed to see random acts of violence by groups of teens against anyone they decided they didn't like or looked like easy prey even if they did not want to rob them. As each decade passed that got worse compounded by the arrival of non-European immigrants who resent the native culture. Only a few of these problem people have access to guns but they often carry knives and of course It is illegal to carry a knife, mace, pepper spray or anything that might give you a chance.

So as you might expect I feel much safer over here. The fact that there is a greater probability that any threat I might have to deal with is more likely to have a gun than in UK, does not worry me. I am more confident of my ability to defend myself with bullets than a blade. I suspect that most criminals will have put in less range time than me and that should give me an edge. So yes I feel much happier whether I am carrying concealed or open as now tend to do more frequently.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Happy?

No!

Prepared, best I can be?

Yes!!

OP: Do you read a lot of Søren Kierkegaard?

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Not "happy" when I carry, but very unhappy when I do not or can not carry.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

As the song goes, "one's too many and a hundred ain't enough." But, yes quite happy with carrying one of two guns.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Abraham wrote:Happy?

No!

Prepared, best I can be?

Yes!!

OP: Do you read a lot of Søren Kierkegaard?
Never have! Any suggestions?

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

What doesn't make me very happy was my reluctance to post in this thread for fear of misunderstanding.

Carrying a firearm with care, respect, and within the confines of law makes me very happy, but admitting it - well, some folks might misinterpret that and might argue that armed happiness is something to fear, a reason to take guns out of the hands of those who most cherish that right. A dreadful misinterpretation.

Happy isn't quite the right term, either, not happy like prancing unicorns outgassing sparkles.

I'm very happy with our form of government and with our Constitution and sobered by the cost of freedom. I'm proud of the way our founders chose to endorse natural rights with American guarantees, and I don't think our government functions in the absence of an empowered citizenry. I'm happy our natural rights endure.

On that basis, I'm blow-out-all-the-candles delighted to carry a firearm. I am an American and a natural product of the great state of Texas, and I care deeply for my fellow man. Er, person. My reluctance to sound off was based on political correctness. I should be consistent.

Besides, when you meet a fellow armed and law abiding citizen on the street, you always get what any rational person would expect in such an encounter. A firm handshake and a grin.

Nothing unhappy about that.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I'm happiest when i'm nibbling on a beef fajita. Carrying my shield 9 also makes me just as happy in a differnt way. I feel more confident about my safety when i have to be out and about among people. Reminds me...i bought a new leather holster from Gander Mountain on sale yesterday. Paid 56.00 for the Bianchi 5 (10 percent off) belt slide. Its for my S&W 686 4inch revolver. Can't seem to be able to find one i like even online for that gun. At least i can carry it if i want to now. Been curious to see how heavy and concealable it is after a full day of carry. Still looking for one i like.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

treadlightly wrote:What doesn't make me very happy was my reluctance to post in this thread for fear of misunderstanding.

Carrying a firearm with care, respect, and within the confines of law makes me very happy, but admitting it - well, some folks might misinterpret that and might argue that armed happiness is something to fear, a reason to take guns out of the hands of those who most cherish that right. A dreadful misinterpretation.

Happy isn't quite the right term, either, not happy like prancing unicorns outgassing sparkles.

I'm very happy with our form of government and with our Constitution and sobered by the cost of freedom. I'm proud of the way our founders chose to endorse natural rights with American guarantees, and I don't think our government functions in the absence of an empowered citizenry. I'm happy our natural rights endure.

On that basis, I'm blow-out-all-the-candles delighted to carry a firearm. I am an American and a natural product of the great state of Texas, and I care deeply for my fellow man. Er, person. My reluctance to sound off was based on political correctness. I should be consistent.

Besides, when you meet a fellow armed and law abiding citizen on the street, you always get what any rational person would expect in such an encounter. A firm handshake and a grin.

Nothing unhappy about that.

:iagree:

I don't know that "happy" is the proper adjective. No more so than my truck makes me happy when it transports me to and from places I enjoy visiting, or my phone makes me happy when I communicate with friends, or loved ones.
My carry gun is a tool. In and of itself, it is not a representation of the freedoms I enjoy, as an American. It is not the end result of the sacrifices of the fighting men and women who put their lives on the line to guarantee those freedoms. I guess what I'm trying g to say, is that I carry a gun, to protect myself, and my loved ones, from those who, wish to do harm. I have no direct emotional projection towards it. But I do feel happy that I live, where I can carry my gun for those reasons, and as a result of those who came before me.

JMHO

Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Jusme wrote:
:iagree:

I don't know that "happy" is the proper adjective. No more so than my truck makes me happy when it transports me to and from places I enjoy visiting, or my phone makes me happy when I communicate with friends, or loved ones.
My carry gun is a tool. In and of itself, it is not a representation of the freedoms I enjoy, as an American. It is not the end result of the sacrifices of the fighting men and women who put their lives on the line to guarantee those freedoms. I guess what I'm trying g to say, is that I carry a gun, to protect myself, and my loved ones, from those who, wish to do harm. I have no direct emotional projection towards it. But I do feel happy that I live, where I can carry my gun for those reasons, and as a result of those who came before me.

JMHO

Back at ya. :iagree:

Well said.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Yes, I'm happy with my primary, a Springer XDS45 with 3.3" barrel.

I like the fact that it's a pocket pistol with the 5 round mag.

If I can only carry it, the 2 seven round mags are backup.

If I can carry 2 pistols, I delete the 2 XDS mags and add my Ruger SR9C, 17 +1 rounds.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”