Washington County Appraisal District Office

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
minytrker
Posts in topic: 3

Washington County Appraisal District Office

Post by minytrker »

They had both 30.06 & 30.07 signs posted on the front doors when I went there today. Looking on their website I can't find any reason why they could legally be posted. It used to be a school there but that was years ago so they sign is newer than that since it has a .07 also. I am missing something how a county office can be posted? There address is 1301 Niebuhr Street Brenham TX 77833 and here is the website http://washingtoncad.org. I was in a hurry and there was a line so I didnt ask about it today but if someone can verify that they shouldnt be posted I will go back up there and speak to them about it.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Washington County Appraisal District Office

Post by Papa_Tiger »

http://washingtoncad.org/Property-Detai ... fID=O19133

CAD still shows it owned by the ISD. Nothing preventing them from posting based on a previous AG ruling about offices associated with the school district.

Topic author
minytrker

Post by minytrker »

So since the school district still owns the land that makes it legal? The high school moved out of that building in 1997. Why would the school own the county appraisal building? Wonder if it just didnt get updated? I dont want it to seem like I am not questioning your answer, I am trying to educate myself, thank you for the help.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I thought 30.06 signs did not apply to any location owned OR LEASED by a government agency. In this case, wouldn't the government agency be leasing the building from the ISD?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This is one of the reasons, that the fact that HB560, died in committee, is such a setback. The law needs to be clearly defined, and not left up to an opinion by the AG. Both government entities can claim that they are well within their rights to post signage, and until the AG issues an opinion, one way or the other, nothing can be done. We can debate it until we are blue in the face, file complaints, etc. But there needs to be definitive action by the Legislature, so that everyone is on the same page and there is no ambiguity in the law. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I thought 30.06 signs did not apply to any location owned OR LEASED by a government agency. In this case, wouldn't the government agency be leasing the building from the ISD?
Yes, unless it falls under the definition of a "school or educational institution" then a 30.06/7 should not be posted. I'm kind of not seeing how a County Appraisal District office is a school. Solution is carry concealed. This is the approach I took with the Denton County Precinct 3 office, which is posted.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

An appraisal district lawyer once told me that appraisal districts were not really state offices, or something along those lines. From the tax code, where I should have looked a long time ago:
Sec. 6.01. APPRAISAL DISTRICTS ESTABLISHED. (a) An appraisal district is established in each county.
(b) The district is responsible for appraising property in the district for ad valorem tax purposes of each taxing unit that imposes ad valorem taxes on property in the district.
(c) An appraisal district is a political subdivision of the state.
Sounds like a government office to me.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

treadlightly wrote:An appraisal district lawyer once told me that appraisal districts were not really state offices, or something along those lines. From the tax code, where I should have looked a long time ago:
Sec. 6.01. APPRAISAL DISTRICTS ESTABLISHED. (a) An appraisal district is established in each county.
(b) The district is responsible for appraising property in the district for ad valorem tax purposes of each taxing unit that imposes ad valorem taxes on property in the district.
(c) An appraisal district is a political subdivision of the state.
Sounds like a government office to me.
Which is just a perfectly good reason to carry in spite of the signs. That's my solution. Where I thought the GC 411.209 might help is where you were physically prevented from entry, like at many government owned convention centers and stadiums. But alas, nearly 2 years and nothing has happened. Maybe WCAD will get themselves a liquor license and post 51% signs. At least you'll be happy while protesting your property tax. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I thought 30.06 signs did not apply to any location owned OR LEASED by a government agency. In this case, wouldn't the government agency be leasing the building from the ISD?
Yes, unless it falls under the definition of a "school or educational institution" then a 30.06/7 should not be posted. I'm kind of not seeing how a County Appraisal District office is a school. Solution is carry concealed. This is the approach I took with the Denton County Precinct 3 office, which is posted.
But, but, but, aren't you afraid of taking THE RIDE :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ?

I mean if you had to shoot someone while you were there you could lose your presumptive defenses, etc., etc., etc. Wouldn't it be better to have just gone in unarmed? Then you'd be dead and there would be no chance of getting charged with anything.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:
Which is why when I shoot people, I am not only very careful with my legal justifications, but the "optics" as well. :shock:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote::iagree:
Which is why when I shoot people, I am not only very careful with my legal justifications, but the "optics" as well. :shock:
Yes, it is very wise to consider the optics.

Speaking of which, do you have any good optics recommendations for a Kel-Tec Sub 2000? I'm thinking Red Dot, but I want one that I can leave on, so either motion activated technology, or a really long battery life. Preferably a co-witness with the iron sights.

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

ScottDLS wrote:
That approach was fine and dandy here then they decided to use a metal detector and off duty PD.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

roadkill wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
That approach was fine and dandy here then they decided to use a metal detector and off duty PD.
Right, I was speaking to Washington CAD. I believe you're talking about Nueces CAD. Keep pushing CCPD, hopefully it works. I wouldn't expect a lot of help from the AG or GC 411.209.

Denton County Precinct 3 Office has Constables on duty, but since they don't have x-ray eyes or metal detectors, I just carry concealed.

Topic author
minytrker

Post by minytrker »

I emailed the guy in charge and was surprised when he called me (I didnt even list a number). He was very nice and we discussed the signs for a while and hes actually all for guns but not that up on current carry laws. He said the building is considered to be part of the middle school campus and although there are no classrooms in that building they do brings kids in the building for what he described is like a study hall.

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

minytrker wrote:I emailed the guy in charge and was surprised when he called me (I didnt even list a number). He was very nice and we discussed the signs for a while and hes actually all for guns but not that up on current carry laws. He said the building is considered to be part of the middle school campus and although there are no classrooms in that building they do brings kids in the building for what he described is like a study hall.
That is interesting. I would contact the school to see how they untilize that building and if students are ever brought there as part of a school related activity (study hall). I would ask about the timing and frequency of the students there. I bet that they are taken there very few times throughout the year and probably never during this time of year when appraisal districts are very busy handling protests. Question: is the building immediately adjacent to the middle school? If not how do the students get there? Keep inquiring until you get all your questions answered. There should also be some sort of contract or agreement with WCAD for use of the building. Ask for it because that should help your case regarding the postings. Good luck

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”