Horse Show

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RockinU
Posts in topic: 3

Horse Show

Post by RockinU »

Taking the side of caution, I disarmed, but does anyone know if it would qualify as a sports event. Makes sense to me that it would be, but made me realize I'd never seen any definitions, or parameters as to what constitutes sport events.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Horse Show

Post by WTR »

I've been to a lot of AQHA , reining , cutting and working cow horse shows.....never have seen one posted.

Topic author
RockinU

Post by RockinU »

Under 46.035:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

I'm just not smart enough to know if this is "professional", or not.

cprems

Post by cprems »

I look at it this way, is there prize money or are they being paid to participate. If yes, I'd err on the side of caution. You can also look up the sponsoring club or association, that could also give you an idea of whether the organization is professional or not.

Hope that helps.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This is another one of those things where "sporting event" needs to be better identified in the legislation. If it is a riding competition, like cutting horse, jumping, etc.,then I would say it is a sporting event, if it is just a horse show where they are simply riding then I would not qualify it as such, but IANAL so don't take it for more than my opinion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Better yet it would be great if there was a bill before the legislature to remove off limits for LTC holders. Oh wait there is. But HB560 is dead thanks to our moderate republicans conspiring with democrats to elect Joe Strauss as Speaker of the House. :banghead:
Sorry. Rant over.
Ron
NRA Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RockinU wrote:Taking the side of caution, I disarmed, but does anyone know if it would qualify as a sports event. Makes sense to me that it would be, but made me realize I'd never seen any definitions, or parameters as to what constitutes sport events.
More information needed.

Prize money awarded?
Collegiate? Who were the participants?
Location?

IMO a horse show is not a pro or school sporting event unless it is actually a professional or school related sporting event. If it's neither then I would carry, unless the event is in a prohibited location (ex. HS inside arena or 30.xx posted). Sports events are not off limits unless they meet the criteria expressed in the statute. I carried all the time at my kids private league soccer games, but never at a school match played on the same field.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I'm not a lawyer, but this would be my argument on prize money being awarded or just receiving a stipend not making it a professional event if ever challenged for carrying.

One example is my balloon flights. When we go to balloon events, there is prize money awarded for competition. Additionally, the sponsors sometimes pay a 'show-up' fee if you attend the event, as well as provide meals, gifts, fuel for the balloon and lodging.

Many of the pilots that go to these events are licensed as private pilots. Per the FAA and government legal rulings, a private pilot may not receive compensation for flying. That means they can't be paid to fly passengers, fly advertising, etc. However, the FAA has said that just getting money for showing up at an event, whether they fly or not, is not being compensated to fly. Additionally, the prize money is not guaranteed to the pilot unless they do well in the competition, so it doesn't count either. Also, 99% of these pilots have other 'jobs' where they make their main living and this is a sideline, so it is not their main business or 'profession'.

So I would say unless the participants are paid a salary for doing what they do, then it's not a professional sporting event just because they might win prizes or cash. Like balloonists, it usually costs us way more to operate the balloon per year than you ever get back from flying, even if you are a commercial rated pilot like myself.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

You won't find me at any soft target, large crowd, for jihad-johnny to take advantage of...

Topic author
RockinU

Post by RockinU »

It was at a county owned arena. There were multiple events taking place simultaneously. A rodeo, that obviously pays money to contestants, and a jumping show with competitors ranging from rank beginners to professional trainers. And towards the end in one of the buildings attached to the main arena there was even a local MMA event. Enough factors that I felt disarming was the best course.

I believe in being as prepared as I can, but I'm also aware that I daily face a bigger threat to my well being than Johnny Jihadi in Tommy texter driving down the road, and so have come to grips with my limits in mitigating the dangers I face.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I'm hoping for a new "no driving & texting" law" with at least a 6 months stretch or more if caught being tommy/tammy texter who don't appreciate they put other peoples lives at risk when they perform this idiotic stunt.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”