Expired Texas LTC - traveling to Arkansas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 3

Expired Texas LTC - traveling to Arkansas

Post by texas yankee »

I got lazy and put off sending in my renewal and the renewal process is taking longer than I thought it would - my LTC expired a few days ago, so I'm not carrying concealed until the LTC shows up in the mail, which should be in a few days or a week. I'm driving to \ from Arkansas this weekend - while I'm in Arkansas visiting family, is having a pistol in the car with me when I'm traveling to \ from Arkansas and staying with my family OK?

Also, I know that any contact with Arkansas law enforcement requires me to notify them that I have a CHL and that I have a handgun in my possession (in the car - I won't be carrying concealed in Arkansas) - is Arkansas like Texas, in that an individual does NOT need any special license to have a handgun in an auto??

Thanks !
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Expired Texas LTC - traveling to Arkansas

Post by GeekwithaGun »

NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Thanks for the guidance - I tried to read through the references (maybe it's too early in the morning to understand it all), but it seems to apply to Arkansas residents - as a Texas resident traveling in Arkansas, I'm not sure how to interpret the references - I'll likely leave my guns at home for this trip, unless my renewed LTC arrives in the mail before I leave. Thanks!

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

They do have journey laws as well. The state ag has made a statement about as well.

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Does anyone know if provisions like a journey provision applies to non residents passing through the state as well as residents moving around within the state?

allisji

Post by allisji »

texas yankee wrote:Does anyone know if provisions like a journey provision applies to non residents passing through the state as well as residents moving around within the state?
I can't see how they could apply their journey law to allow residents to travel with a handgun but disallow nonresidents to do the same, non-licensed doesn't matter if you're a resident or nonres. You should be good to go traveling through Arkansas with a legally owned handgun in the car yet without a valid handgun license. I would definitely take mine in that condition. The way I read it, you should be able to carry it as well.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”