E-mail to a 30.06 posted business

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

E-mail to a 30.06 posted business

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am currently looking for a car for my daughter. Something around $20,000 new, but ideally less for a lightly used model. If anyone is familiar with the market, there are ALOT of choices in that range. I had an appointment last night at a local dealership. Unfortunately, when I pulled up I could clearly see 30.06 and 30.07 signage stenciled onto either side of their front window. So I just went home instead. This morning the sales person e-mailed me asking what happened and if I wanted to re-schedule. Here is my response:
Rick -

I actually arrived at your location around 6:10 PM or so last night. I was dismayed to see that you have 30.06 as well as 30.07 signage stenciled on your front windows by the main door. It was a bit tough to see given the tint, so I had to do a double take. This signage would require me to disarm if I wanted to walk through your doors. Beyond the potential danger of doing so, there is a deeper moral issue. I fought for the rights of every U.S. Citizen, and I value all of those rights including my right to vote, my right to free speech, and my right to keep and bear arms.

I'm sure that you have great cars and great prices, but I will not give up any of my rights solely for the privilege of buying a car from your company, regardless of how great a deal I could get. I am not sure why your company feels that there is a compelling need to restrict the rights of your customers in this manner. I know you are legally able to do this, but I also know that I am not going to support a company that shows such disregard for me.

As I believe I mentioned, I am buying a car for my 17 year old daughter to replace the vehicle that I had on lease. I also have a 15 year old daughter and a 9 year old son and will be buying them a first car in the $20,000 - $30,000 price range as they get older. Please let me know if your company changes it's mind about this and if so, I will gladly stop by and have a look at what you have to offer.

Thanks,

Soccerdad

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: E-mail to a 30.06 posted business

Post by imkopaka »

:thumbs2: Good on ya!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Excellent.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Did you get any sort of response yet ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pariah3j wrote:Did you get any sort of response yet ?
No. I just sent it this morning. My guess is that I will get a stock response once the salesperson forwards it to corporate. I plan to follow up with a redacted copy of my sale contract once I buy from someone else. That will go directly to their corporate office.

I think people don't really consider what they are doing when they post a 30.06. They are asking people to give up a fundamental individual right, on par with voting, free speech, etc. I just want them to consider whether there really is a compelling reason that warrants such a restriction on the rights of their customers. If we can shift the way people think about this issue, then the rest of the battle will be simple.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Good job Soccerdad1995!!

I might have included something to the effect of the signage only applying to the most lawful citizens in Texas, but I think you got the point across.

I had something similar happen when I was car shopping for my son. The salesman met me in the parking lot where we had seen a car he was interested in. were going to test drive it so the salesman was walking us to the showroom. I saw both 30.06, and 30.07 signs and stopped. I told the salesman we were no longer interested. He asked why, and I pointed to the signs and said, I can't go in there, because I have my gun with me. He said well you can leave it in the car, I told him I was going to my car, but I was going to be leaving in it, and would not be buying anything until the signs were removed. My son and I left and bought a car later that week somewhere else.

Hopefully, enough people will let their wallets do their talking, that these businesses, will begin to feel it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Russell wrote:Are they listed on texas3006.com?
They are. I probably should have checked, but it just never occurred to me that a car dealership would feel the need to post. Has there been a rash of LTC holders shooting up these places or something?

On the other hand, workplace shootings are not all that uncommon and I wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire unarmed.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:Good job Soccerdad1995!!

I might have included something to the effect of the signage only applying to the most lawful citizens in Texas, but I think you got the point across.

I had something similar happen when I was car shopping for my son. The salesman met me in the parking lot where we had seen a car he was interested in. were going to test drive it so the salesman was walking us to the showroom. I saw both 30.06, and 30.07 signs and stopped. I told the salesman we were no longer interested. He asked why, and I pointed to the signs and said, I can't go in there, because I have my gun with me. He said well you can leave it in the car, I told him I was going to my car, but I was going to be leaving in it, and would not be buying anything until the signs were removed. My son and I left and bought a car later that week somewhere else.

Hopefully, enough people will let their wallets do their talking, that these businesses, will begin to feel it.
I think it's a combination of hitting them where it hurts (their wallet), and also putting it in perspective. Posting a 30.06 is not "increasing safety" or "reducing gun violence". It is an action that makes everyone less safe while simultaneously infringing on people's rights.

But yeah, lost sales is probably more persuasive than the moral argument.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:clapping: :patriot:

Good job. If you can, I would like to see how they respond. I'm sure others would too.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

Good work!

Thanks for taking the time to notify them why you 'aren't' going to do business with them.

Sorry, you wasted your time, but as you know, there are plenty of dealerships who don't post 30.06/.07.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Russell wrote:Are they listed on texas3006.com?
They are. I probably should have checked, but it just never occurred to me that a car dealership would feel the need to post. Has there been a rash of LTC holders shooting up these places or something?

On the other hand, workplace shootings are not all that uncommon and I wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire unarmed.
yeah, there's a known criminal street gang of LTCers who have been taking test drives, then kicking out the sales agent and never returning the vehicles to the lot. So all of the locations have posted 30.06/30.07 signage. The problem stopped immediately because LTCers are always very respectful of 30.06/07 signs.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

flechero

Post by flechero »

That was a well written note, and I applaud you for taking the stand on behalf of all of us! :tiphat:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Assuming they didn't have a 30.07 sign, you could have open carried a 1911 and delivered the letter in person. Be sure to drive up in your daughter's new car with the other dealers tags on it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

The rank and file car salesmen are probably cringing at this foolishness...tough, they should tell their employers, they have to work at a place without the 30.06/.07 postings to make a living.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”