Active shooter in Dallas-Firefighter shot

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Active shooter in Dallas-Firefighter shot

Post by C-dub »

Lena wrote:why was thread locked?
Duplicate threads are typically locked and the thread started first allowed to remain open.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MrMcCullster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrMcCullster »

The press conference on the day it happened indicated that the dispatch call log that was sent out to officers and fire crews showed: "Gunshot victim: Self inflicted". This led the firefighter to believe that the area was secure (why wouldn't it be since the shooter killed himself?). This was with other DPD officers on the scene as well.

As I understand, police are dispatched first to secure the scene, then allow firefighters to come in first and assist and begin first treatment. Ambulance and paramedics arrive thereafter for further treatment and transport.

So it sounds like the dispatch notes did not accurately reflect the scene. Yes, there was a gunshot victim, but it did not mention that there was the possibility of the shooter still in the vicinity.

DPD Radio Audio -

From the audio, it sounds like the firefighter and police were in the road working on the gunshot victim, when the armed man with the AR15 approached them and opened fire.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rtschl »

NBC5 is reporting the following:

That the shooter was the national minister of defense for the New Black Panther Party and once served as the chairman of that organization.
Derick Lamont Brown also went by the name Brotha DK – a name he used in his role as the head of paramilitary training for the New Black Panthers, a black nationalist group.

The article further states: Brown was also a member of the Huey P. Newton Gun Club – a Dallas-based black nationalist group which conducts paramilitary training and advocates the open carry of firearms. The armed group surrounded and effectively shut down a gas station in Oak Cliff after a dispute with the owners.

Federal law enforcement officials declined to comment on the Panther connection to the shooting Monday.
But it may be one reason why FBI and ATF agents were on the scene, and it could heighten their interest in this case.
Ron
NRA Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

rtschl wrote:NBC5 is reporting the following:

That the shooter was the national minister of defense for the New Black Panther Party and once served as the chairman of that organization.
Derick Lamont Brown also went by the name Brotha DK – a name he used in his role as the head of paramilitary training for the New Black Panthers, a black nationalist group.

The article further states: Brown was also a member of the Huey P. Newton Gun Club – a Dallas-based black nationalist group which conducts paramilitary training and advocates the open carry of firearms. The armed group surrounded and effectively shut down a gas station in Oak Cliff after a dispute with the owners.

Federal law enforcement officials declined to comment on the Panther connection to the shooting Monday.
But it may be one reason why FBI and ATF agents were on the scene, and it could heighten their interest in this case.
:shock:

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

MrMcCullster wrote:The press conference on the day it happened indicated that the dispatch call log that was sent out to officers and fire crews showed: "Gunshot victim: Self inflicted". This led the firefighter to believe that the area was secure (why wouldn't it be since the shooter killed himself?). This was with other DPD officers on the scene as well.

As I understand, police are dispatched first to secure the scene, then allow firefighters to come in first and assist and begin first treatment. Ambulance and paramedics arrive thereafter for further treatment and transport.

So it sounds like the dispatch notes did not accurately reflect the scene. Yes, there was a gunshot victim, but it did not mention that there was the possibility of the shooter still in the vicinity.

DPD Radio Audio -

From the audio, it sounds like the firefighter and police were in the road working on the gunshot victim, when the armed man with the AR15 approached them and opened fire.
That is 100% correct. When we are dispatched for gsw or even in a sketchy neighborhood with known issues, we stage for LE until scene is secure.
Lights and siren off, several blocks away.

Also, most FD's are ALS capable and all FF's are ECA level or above, most are EMT-P.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Does anyone find it suspicious or at least odd that the type of weapon used has not been released yet? I've heard that it was a rifle, shotgun, a high powered rifle, AR15, and an AK47 from various reports on the radio as it was going on, but nothing in print or on a website that I've noticed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:Does anyone find it suspicious or at least odd that the type of weapon used has not been released yet? I've heard that it was a rifle, shotgun, a high powered rifle, AR15, and an AK47 from various reports on the radio as it was going on, but nothing in print or on a website that I've noticed.

I'm sure that the police have not released that information, or at least, not in specifics yet. There will have to forensic tests done, as well as processing multiple crime scenes. Until the investigation, is further along, the press will just be guessing.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

C-dub wrote:Does anyone find it suspicious or at least odd that the type of weapon used has not been released yet? I've heard that it was a rifle, shotgun, a high powered rifle, AR15, and an AK47 from various reports on the radio as it was going on, but nothing in print or on a website that I've noticed.
Listen to the audio above and read the update from the Dallas PD. They mention it as an AR in the audio, and per DPD Beat blog it was a 7.62 caliber semi-automatic rifle and is currently being processed by our Crime Scene Response Section.

https://dpdbeat.com/2017/05/02/shooting ... nolds-ave/

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I read somewhere (can't find it again) that he had a handgun.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

bblhd672 wrote:How does a felon with multiple convictions obtain a Florida (or any other state) CCL?
Was he convicted of felonies or did the revolving door let him plead down to misdemeanors? Did he get deferred adjudication instead of convicted because he's a family man? Etc.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Return to “Off-Topic”