Sb1588 to eliminate most vehicle inspections

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sb1588 to eliminate most vehicle inspections

Post by strogg »

I maintain my vehicles too, and it looks like Texans pretty much do too. I gotta say, though, Texan vehicles tend to look better maintained than cars from other states. You'll be surprised how many out-of-state vehicles look like third degree burn victims that'll disintegrate when touched. I don't think getting rid of the safety sticker will make things worse, since as others have mentioned, there are already laws in place that LEOs can enforce if they have the resources to.

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

Hey Jeff, it's the $80+ annual shakedown from the state that has pushed this along. Everyone knows the actual inspection thing is a joke, but we all have to cough up a little to play the game or pay an even bigger toll if caught without an inspection. Yet another blatant cash grab. As others have said, if your vehicle has safety issues, the popo likely WILL pull you over and cite you. Problem solved.....

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

bagman45 wrote:Hey Jeff, it's the $80+ annual shakedown from the state that has pushed this along. Everyone knows the actual inspection thing is a joke, but we all have to cough up a little to play the game or pay an even bigger toll if caught without an inspection. Yet another blatant cash grab. As others have said, if your vehicle has safety issues, the popo likely WILL pull you over and cite you. Problem solved.....
80+ dollars for the inspection. or 80 + dollars for the road tax which does go toward roads.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Jeff B. wrote:I'll add this. I maintain my vehicle. It's a 2003 F150. Every system or item works on it to my knowledge. I had a universal switch fail this year and had it replaced. My brakes, lights, signals and the like are all OK. I'm happy to be pulled over and checked. I drive the darned thing and don't want to have something wrong with it. I still meet the requirements for inspections and never worry. I know it'll pass. Is it an aggravation, yes. Do I find it to be a huge inconvenience? No. That said, I'll likely be passing the old warhorse to my BIL and getting a new F150 or 250. Same rules will apply.

Maybe I don't get it. Wouldn't be the first time!

:)

Jeff B.
You don't mean that. Do you?

doncb

Post by doncb »

Since Texas went to the single sticker system, no inspection = no registration sticker. The system eliminated the fake sticker problem. Even so, there are a lot of cars that couldn't possibly have passed a safety inspection on the streets.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

SewTexas wrote:"think of the children"
Democrats are always about protecting the welfare of the children, at least after they are born. Democrats have no concern about the well being of unborn children.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Silly me, I've always gotten my vehicle inspected properly.

I had no idea it's optional...

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I'd like to see the annual inspections go away.

New cars start with a 2 year inspection.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

ELB

Post by ELB »

Annual inspection is grandfather of red light cameras. Revenue generator dressed up with a safety sash.

Originally started as a federally required emissions inspection program back when I was still in high school in Indiana. Indiana leaped when the feds said "jump" like everyone else, but in short order realized the so-called safety inspection was bogus and repealed it by the time I was 22. They have since backslid into emissions testing in some cities. There's at least a dozen other states that do not require annual safety inspections. We should join them.
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I do wonder what percentage are like me and do get their vehicles inspected vs. those who scoff and don't comply.

Anytime, I've been in a 3rd country, and that adds up to a lot of time, the junkers and smog is terrible.

Far worse than here.

I think, but how can I be certain, that state inspections do at least some good, but then I use to believe in the tooth fairy, so what do I know...?

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

Statistics show that the number of accidents in states that have inspections are no less than in states that do, so an inspection program doesn't do any good and serves only to annoy citizens and lower their wallet pressure. I'll be glad to see it go in Texas.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'm speaking mostly about air quality.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

carlson1 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Vehicle inspections are about as effective as gun control laws and the federal no-call list.
This deserves to be reposted and reposted. There are enough laws on the books that the LEO can more than sufficiently take the junkers off the road if they would enforce the laws. If it passes (I hope it does) then maybe the LEO's will then enforce those laws. In Irving if you are stopped with no insurance they are supposed to tow your vehicle, but it rarely happens. Just today one of my lovely church members told me her license was suspended and she had no insurance. Her license were suspended for no insurance and here she is driving with no license and no insurance. :banghead: Where does this ignorance end?
You do the confessional thing?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

carlson 1,

Is she an illegal alien?

I had one crash into me years ago, no license, no insurance and when I finally, after much effort, got L.E. to respond they just let him go - no ticket, no nothing.

My insurance company eventually paid for the damage to my vehicle and the miserable, "I get out of being responsible because such things like insurance and being licensed are of no importance to me, why should I - L.E. lets me break the law with impunity whenever I care to"

She should be locked up! Why does she get to break the law? People like her burn me up!

Only the law abiding in the U.S. are punished, as in my insurance premiums went up and I was lucky I wasn't injured by the illegal that t-boned me because he ran a stop sign due to his extremely, well, non-existent driving skills.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

Abraham wrote:carlson 1,

Is she an illegal alien?

I had one crash into me years ago, no license, no insurance and when I finally, after much effort, got L.E. to respond they just let him go - no ticket, no nothing.

My insurance company eventually paid for the damage to my vehicle and the miserable, "I get out of being responsible because such things like insurance and being licensed are of no importance to me, why should I - L.E. lets me break the law with impunity whenever I care to"

She should be locked up! Why does she get to break the law? People like her burn me up!

Only the law abiding in the U.S. are punished, as in my insurance premiums went up and I was lucky I wasn't injured by the illegal that t-boned me because he ran a stop sign due to his extremely, well, non-existent driving skills.

Insurance should be "no pay no play." If hit someone w/o insurance they should get $0 even if the accident was 100% my fault.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “Off-Topic”