ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 1

ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Post by joe817 »

Hi everybody, it's been a while. I first heard this on the Rick Roberts program on the radio.....WBAP I believe. At first I thought it had to be fake news, and I laughed, being mildly funny. Then I got to thinking about it and thought about who the ACLU serves, then it kind of made sense....but still incredulous.

But no! Not fake news!

"The American Civil Liberties Union issued a “travel alert” today informing anyone planning to travel to Texas in the near future to anticipate the possible violation of their constitutional rights when stopped by law enforcement. "

https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-issues-t ... l-advisory

A travel advisory to Texas travelers??? SMH "rlol" :smilelol5:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Post by bblhd672 »

The object lesson here is if you are in the country illegally you should not travel through Texas.

Illegally present non-US citizens should not expect anything other than prosecution and/or deportation.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I can't believe what I'm reading! The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment), you know, those amendments that protect the individual from the majority. This is the same group that is defending your right to keep and bear arms.

The "sanctuary city" bill went too far IMO ,because it gives the police near "papers please" powers. This bill will legitimize the profiling of honest citizens.

I support the basic intent of the bill that if you are illegal, you are a criminal, and should be handed over to the Feds, but the state is trying to tell local jurisdictions how to do their jobs.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

oohrah wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading! The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment), you know, those amendments that protect the individual from the majority. This is the same group that is defending your right to keep and bear arms.

The "sanctuary city" bill went too far IMO ,because it gives the police near "papers please" powers. This bill will legitimize the profiling of honest citizens.

I support the basic intent of the bill that if you are illegal, you are a criminal, and should be handed over to the Feds, but the state is trying to tell local jurisdictions how to do their jobs.
The forum doesn't have a sarcasm font so I'm not sure you are seriously making these statements.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

oohrah wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading! The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment), you know, those amendments that protect the individual from the majority. This is the same group that is defending your right to keep and bear arms.

I'd be interested in seeing a link to a single time the ACLU defended the 2nd Amendment, at least in a way that the members of this forum view it. As I recall, the ACLU doesn't believe that the right to keep and bear applies to inviduals.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

American Communist Liberties Union....sorry I have no use for them. :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Will they issue one for California related to my inability to bear arms there?
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I have papers and a photo ID which is used to vote, cash checks, buy liquor (not really), rent/buy a car and get a job ( :smilelol5:), etc., etc.

What's the problem with requiring "papers"?

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I think I"m going to write them a thank-you letter.

rotor

Post by rotor »

It has been many years since I was stopped for a traffic stop but if I remember it is legal for LEO to ask for your papers (insurance, ID, etc.). Now, if I was just walking down the street minding my own business and was stopped and asked for papers I might want the ACLU on my side. Because I am an old white guy I wouldn't expect it but a young Hispanic might feel differently, and rightfully so if he was not doing anything illegal. I wouldn't like it if a LEO wanted to see my LTC if I were open carrying, and neither would most of us. But at a lawful stop for any criminal activity you better show those papers.

yodajim

Post by yodajim »

If You Were to go to Mexico ( lets say ) or any other country with out Proper ID we would
have a hard time getting you back
the ACLU would then say , well there's nothing we can do for you , because you
were breaking the Law .............

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Despite what is reported in the MSM, or lied about by left wing liberals, there will be no massive "stop and ask" policies implemented by the police. No one will be targeted, on a daily basis, based, on their ethnicity, as to their citizenship status. What will be occurring, and what should have been occurring all along, is that criminals, who are found to be here illegally, will now be held for ICE, and deported. Those who have taken the legal steps to be here either as a resident alien, are here on a work or education visa, or have become, or who are working toward becoming citizens, are in no danger of being harassed.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Will they issue one for California related to my inability to bear arms there?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Constitutionally guaranteed rights pertain to citizens -- not to those who entered the country illegally. Once again the ACLU comes out on the wrong side of an issue.

Of course, if this advisory in any way limits travel to or through Texas by folks who think the ACLU is always on the right side of issues, then I am all for them issuing the advisory.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

It is funny, because if the American Criminal Liberties Union ever gets the political environment they want, they will be the first to be persecuted.

Return to “Off-Topic”