First Renewal Lessons

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mikebass78
Posts in topic: 1

First Renewal Lessons

Post by mikebass78 »

Got my CHL in 2014, Was going to expire 2017....

My renewal came in the mail October of last year. I just set it aside, figured it was quick and easy. So time we on and on...waited until Feb.20, 2017 to renew online...my bday was on 4/30....So I checked my status on 4/20 still said fingerprints and photo being reviewed...Didn't start panicking until 4/27 when I had 3 days left and was dreading feeling naked without my CHL....and just like clockwork the CHL gods heard me...Nice shiny new LTC in the mail on 4/28... with a 5 year EXP date. 2022...yessss

I went on the website in feb and saw they message about how many applications they received the last quarter on 2016....OOOPPSSS....

but it took about 60 days...which given their backlog isn't bad....

Lesson Learned !!!! when the letter comes from DPS just take a minute and send it in, it's just a couple of clicks : )

For the record, I do like the Wording "Concealed Handgun License" on the old better than LTC on the new one

Bozz48

Re: First Renewal Lessons

Post by Bozz48 »

Good to know. Mines coming up next year.

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

I got my letter in late Jan, did renew on feb 2
Got new ltc in late march. I didn't expire till July
So I am real early didn't want to take any chances
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

You got your license in 2014 and it is due to expire in 2017? In the best case, that is less than 4 years for your first license. That doesn't sound right.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Applied for renewal 4/29 received 5/13 didn't expire until Sept but why wait?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My license would have expired on 10/5/17. I got the reminding letter a few weeks ago on 4/14. I went online and renewed right away. I got my new LTC in the mail on 4/29. If you discount the time spent in "mailed" status after approval, my renewal probably didn't take but 8 or 10 days.

Interestingly, when I renewed online, I got a page which told me that I would need to provide another passport photo as well as another copy of my birth documents (I was born overseas). I was in the process of getting that stuff together when my license arrived in the mail. I figure that they didn't want to be reminded that I got more handsome with the passage of time........
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Due to some health issues at the time, I forgot about my renewal until about four weeks before expiration. Took about two months to get my plastic, hated not having my Sig on my hip for a month. When dear wife's renewal came up, I told her to jump on that immediately. Good thing since she had a huge fingerprint hassle first time - she literally has no identifiable ridges. After two failed fingerprints, DPS will do a "name check ". Since she had no fingerprints on file for the renewal, they required another fingerprint scan. :totap: .

That kicked off yet another huge hassle, part 2. DPS said one fingerprint scan failure was all they required, the fingerprint vendor insisted she had to have another scan. After more phone calls, we were satisfied with the DPS position. Sure enough she got her plastic in the mail a couple of weeks later.

My bet is she will have to run this gauntlet with every renewal.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

johncanfield wrote:Due to some health issues at the time, I forgot about my renewal until about four weeks before expiration. Took about two months to get my plastic, hated not having my Sig on my hip for a month. When dear wife's renewal came up, I told her to jump on that immediately. Good thing since she had a huge fingerprint hassle first time - she literally has no identifiable ridges. After two failed fingerprints, DPS will do a "name check ". Since she had no fingerprints on file for the renewal, they required another fingerprint scan. :totap: .

That kicked off yet another huge hassle, part 2. DPS said one fingerprint scan failure was all they required, the fingerprint vendor insisted she had to have another scan. After more phone calls, we were satisfied with the DPS position. Sure enough she got her plastic in the mail a couple of weeks later.

My bet is she will have to run this gauntlet with every renewal.
My youngest brother has been a finish carpenter most of his working life, and he has no fingerprints any more. Of course, he lives in California, in Los Angeles county, so the odds of him ever getting a carry license are slim and none.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Her lack of fingerprints is a genetic situation, never realized she had none until she applied for her initial CHL.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I'm still trying to figure out how a first license expires at less than 4 years.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”