Bought My First Shield!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 5

Bought My First Shield!

Post by dlh »

Okay, could not resist Smith and Wesson's rebate so ran down to the local Academy and picked up a Shield with no thumb safety in 9 mm.

A few thoughts about the handgun:

It is slimmer and weighs less than my Glock 26 which you would expect re: single-stack vs. double-stack.

The gun had some oil on it from the manufacturer. The smell reminded me of that old sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 oil.

At first I tried to load the mags by putting a mag in one hand while inserting the cartridges with the other hand--fail. Those magazine springs are stiff! So, I put a magazine on my solid kitchen table. With one hand I held the magazine down firmly on the table-top and inserted the cartridges with the other hand--success!

Racking the slide required a little more effort compared to my Glock 26. I assume that will get easier as I break it in.

Fired just a few rounds through it today--was accurate with no FTF or FTE issues. I will give it a more thorough test in a few days. So far very happy with my Shield!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bought My First Shield!

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I've had the shield 9 for a year and a half and have been very happy with that pistol. No problems what so ever. Shoots good, carries good, reliable...nothing but good things to say about that weapon. Hope you enjoy it as much as i have.
Last edited by Take Down Sicko on Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treeman

Post by treeman »

Got my shield not long after they came out - 3 month wait - and I have carried it almost daily since. I've put many rounds of 9mm through it - including over 1000 in 2 seperate defensive shooting classes. It has been wet with sweat many times, hot as I don't remove it when I do my duties as a volunteer fire fighter and EMT, and occasionally dirty as I crawl under buildings and in attics at work. Can't say I haven't had a failure to fire but few and far between. I know it doesn't like steel casings, but haven't picked up a definate problem with any particular ammo brand. Hope yours suits you as well as mine has.

skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by skeathley »

Life is too short to load mags by hand. Get a speed loader. The best is Uplula, AKA Maglula, made in Israel.

:thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I just bought the .45 version of the Shield. The dang mag springs are extremely stiff! :shock: I had to adjust the front post because it was shooting left right out of the box. I'm not a fan of the 10 lb trigger, but the grip and feel of the gun in your hand is the best of any gun I have ever held. It just fits me. The most surprising thing was that this lightweight .45 has virtually no kick. It jumps up an inch or so and then comes right back on target. I think they do that with the very strong recoil spring.

Never had a Shield before, but now I am a fan.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

rentz
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rentz »

Got the 9mm not long after it came out, been the go to carry for me almost the entire time since. Anytime I change to something else I come back to the shield. It's such a soft shooter for its size.
Have the 45 version on the way

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

dlh wrote:Okay, could not resist Smith and Wesson's rebate so ran down to the local Academy and picked up a Shield with no thumb safety in 9 mm.

A few thoughts about the handgun:

It is slimmer and weighs less than my Glock 26 which you would expect re: single-stack vs. double-stack.

The gun had some oil on it from the manufacturer. The smell reminded me of that old sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 oil.

At first I tried to load the mags by putting a mag in one hand while inserting the cartridges with the other hand--fail. Those magazine springs are stiff! So, I put a magazine on my solid kitchen table. With one hand I held the magazine down firmly on the table-top and inserted the cartridges with the other hand--success!

Racking the slide required a little more effort compared to my Glock 26. I assume that will get easier as I break it in.

Fired just a few rounds through it today--was accurate with no FTF or FTE issues. I will give it a more thorough test in a few days. So far very happy with my Shield!
Get an Upula mag loader, the mag springs will get better over time. The slide spring will also improve.
Welcome to the Shield family!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Plus 1 on both the Shield 9mm and the uplula. My shield has been very reliable and surprisingly accurate for it's size. As for the mag loader, once it's in your range bag you'll wonder how you lived without it.

JayStation3

Post by JayStation3 »

I love my shield. I've had it for a little over two years as my EDC. I've fired close to 5,000 rounds, if not more since I've owned it. Only two malfunctions. And as fate would have it, the first was in the middle of my shooting test.

The funniest part about it, the guy I was shooting next to also had an m&p shield and he and I both went *bang-bang-jam* at the exact same time while doing our three shot drill @ 10 yards. Epic.

Any way, keep it clean and she'll treat you right. I've gotten some mud in it a time or two, no problem firing it dirty but any firearm will operate much better while clean...

I added grips and night sights. Considering a trigger job but not sure I want to...
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

flowrie
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flowrie »

Carrying a 9mm Shield for several years now, although I recently began to alternate with a 1911 CMD.
Mag springs are stiff, that's normal. They loosen up a bit with use.
Have really enjoyed the Shield, it is a good choice. Wife has the same model.
Tried several holsters, On Your 6 Designs IWB is my fav for the Shield.
Get an Uplula loader, once you use one, you'll never go back.
Best wishes!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

My wife has the 9mm performance model. Ported barrel, supposedly not every brand of ammo (CCI, some others). Make sure that you lower the yellow sear deactivation lever when stripping it. Lots of people don't read the manual and don't strip it by the book. I have a Glock 43 and to me the Shield is very similar. Glock is easier to strip. Really thinking of getting a 45 Shield. So many guns though.....

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Picked up my Shield 9 from the FFL Wednesday, $253 out the door.
Tried loading both mags, immediately ordered a Maglula. Also ordered a extension from NDZ.
Considering the Apex to lighten the trigger pull.

Lena

Post by Lena »

My 45 shield I left both mags loaded a week and it really helped alloy no malfunctions with steel or any ammo at all it does cycly with Speer snake shot also
Stay Safe

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

No one is posting the link to the best price on the maglula? Lol I am ordering my shiels 45 soon. It will the the first 45 and my second handgun. At that price?!?! Who can resist?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”