Sb1588 to eliminate most vehicle inspections

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sb1588 to eliminate most vehicle inspections

Post by cbunt1 »

KD5NRH wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I know how costly it can be when they check engine light comes on.
About $13 on Amazon for a Bluetooth reader and $5 for the app that tells you what the most likely cause is.

Reset it as you pull in for the inspection, and hope they get done before the light comes back on.
Unfortunately that trick doesn't work anymore if they're following the OBD-II Diagnostic protocol. Once the CEL is reset, all the sensor systems have to go through a self-check and be in a "ready" state. It usually takes somewhere between 25-100 miles for all the systems to go to "ready" after a reset now.

I used to do the reset in the driveway trick too with some older cars...

On a brighter note, I've bought several drivable cars for under $2k that needed nothing more than a cheap catalytic converter and a set of plugs to clear up the emissions for a year or two...drive 'em for a year, sell 'em for what you paid (or more) and pocket the difference between liability only insurance and full coverage on a car you'd actually fix. Dropping the inspections would cure Craigslist of super cheap cars with check engine lights.

I'd still go for it though. Folks who will maintain cars will do it regardless of inspections requirements. Folks who won't fix their cars are finding "friendly" inspectors anyway...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

" if you ain't Cheatin, you ain't trying"
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

KD5NRH wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I know how costly it can be when they check engine light comes on.
About $13 on Amazon for a Bluetooth reader and $5 for the app that tells you what the most likely cause is.

Reset it as you pull in for the inspection, and hope they get done before the light comes back on.
The problem is that if it does come back on during the inspection, you are "on the clock" to get the repair done. I have a pretty good stand alone code reader and it told what area the EVAC problem was in. But there are a lot of potential failing components. In my case, there were several relays. I could have replaced all of them for half of the cost of the professional repairs but the actual fault could have been in the wiring or in the tubing between them. I've had the EVAC code set and it turned out to be the gas cap gasket.

I cannot wait until we end up with emissions tests on diesels, too. :banghead:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

TreyHouston wrote:" if you ain't Cheatin, you ain't trying"
'And if you get caught, you ain't trying hard enough."
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

I bevieve the emissions test is tied to the federal clean air act, cities that don't meet the clean air standards are required to have emissions test in order for the state to receive federal highway funds.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I hate yearly inspections. No need. People who drive pieces of flying thug will continue to and dont give a rats tail about wether it's inspected or not. I had to get my truck inspected today. Paid my 7$ and walked out. I hate that I have to get that done before I get it registered. It's just a money making machine is all it is. Also I hate how much I have to pay for registration. I have specialty plates and have to pay 128$ this year for registration. Last year I only paid 90$. Why the all of a sudden jump I have zero idea but thanks Obama......

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

cmgee67 wrote:I hate yearly inspections. No need. People who drive pieces of flying thug will continue to and dont give a rats tail about wether it's inspected or not. I had to get my truck inspected today. Paid my 7$ and walked out. I hate that I have to get that done before I get it registered. It's just a money making machine is all it is. Also I hate how much I have to pay for registration. I have specialty plates and have to pay 128$ this year for registration. Last year I only paid 90$. Why the all of a sudden jump I have zero idea but thanks Obama......
Are the "special" plates optional? If so and it's that big of a deal, save some by getting normal plates.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

snorri

Post by snorri »

ELB wrote:There's at least a dozen other states that do not require annual safety inspections. We should join them.
I agree but there's probably twice as many states that don't require a license for open carry and that doesn't seem to sway the Texas legislature. The House seems like a major bottleneck this year if you're not a major contributor the Joe.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Return to “Off-Topic”