HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

tbrown
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by tbrown »

RoyGBiv wrote:Good or bad?
Straus and his left wing buddies do the same thing. At least Strickland is man enough to do it on the floor, not behind closed doors or in some dark alley like the mugger huggers who killed HB 560.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

Well if they wouldn't waste all their time with pointless things in the beginning they'd have the time to pass what they need

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I think it's funny. Not sure if it's good in the long run, but it's funny to watch someone lob a grenade into the works and blow up the status quo.

Remember, Strickland's signature was on the Call to Question at the 11th hour in the House on Campus Carry in 2015 too...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

roadkill wrote:Well if they wouldn't waste all their time with pointless things in the beginning they'd have the time to pass what they need
It's not a time issue. It a desire and will issue of the leadership. Most bills have to benefit the right people in the right way to get any traction.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Lambda Force »

RoyGBiv wrote:So does the collective applaude or condemn the actions of the House Freedom Caucus this week?
I don't think any bills I cared about have a snowball's chance any longer, so I'm happy to see somebody stand up to Straus and throw a wrench in the works.

Besides, I think more Texas agencies should get reviewed by the Sunset Commission, especially if they get cut to save the taxpayers money. A guy can dream, right?
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

Received an email this morning (like probably a lot you all did) from Alice Tripp/TSRA why constitutional carry (CC) did not make it this past session and what they (TSRA) are going to do to get it done in the next session. Sure sounded to me that CC was going to be the priority next session. The disappointing thing to me was not a word about 560 next session.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

stash wrote:Received an email this morning (like probably a lot you all did) from Alice Tripp/TSRA why constitutional carry (CC) did not make it this past session and what they (TSRA) are going to do to get it done in the next session. Sure sounded to me that CC was going to be the priority next session. The disappointing thing to me was not a word about 560 next session.
Sigh....well if they succeed in getting CC passed in 2019 then perhaps in 2021 we can get some restrictions removed from where LTC holders are allowed to carry. :banghead: That is assuming that by 2021 Texas is still controlled by pro-2A Republicans and not Democrats.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 5

Post by twomillenium »

bblhd672 wrote:
stash wrote:Received an email this morning (like probably a lot you all did) from Alice Tripp/TSRA why constitutional carry (CC) did not make it this past session and what they (TSRA) are going to do to get it done in the next session. Sure sounded to me that CC was going to be the priority next session. The disappointing thing to me was not a word about 560 next session.
Sigh....well if they succeed in getting CC passed in 2019 then perhaps in 2021 we can get some restrictions removed from where LTC holders are allowed to carry. :banghead: That is assuming that by 2021 Texas is still controlled by pro-2A Republicans and not Democrats.
I think we need to get back control with pro-2A Republicans and not RINOS and fence straddlers.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

My opinion - if CC passes first, any 560 type bill will no longer be achievable.

The reasoning is that there will be no real support behind the bill anymore, and the argument will be that there is no reason that license holders should be able to carry where regular law abiding citizens without a license can't.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

locke_n_load wrote:My opinion - if CC passes first, any 560 type bill will no longer be achievable.

The reasoning is that there will be no real support behind the bill anymore, and the argument will be that there is no reason that license holders should be able to carry where regular law abiding citizens without a license can't.

To an extent I agree, but I think for slightly different reasons. I believe that if they somehow manage to pass permit less carry, with the huge amount of negativity attached to it, from the left, any removal of restrictions, even as a "carve out" for LTC holders, will be viewed as an attempt at unfettered, unrestricted carry for everyone (Which for the record I am not totally opposed to) and will terrify even the more conservative legislators. The folks on this forum, will be able to easily discern the difference, but the general public won't. We have seen that during the OC debates where there was confusion about the difference in LTC handguns and long guns.

I think the problem lies with the weak kneed RHINOS, refusing to address a bill like 560 because they would have to go against City and County authorities in their districts who want to retain the authority to prohibit carry at their discretion. Judges, Commissioners, and others, can bring a lot of pressure, and voting blocs, into play. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Russell wrote:
I know I've said this probably half a dozen times, but I'll say it again because it makes me feel better :-). This blind drive towards constitutional carry is why I will not be renewing my membership with them, it irritated me that much. As a result of them using up every last ounce of political capital trying to ram this nonsense through the legislature we made practically no progress on anything of any real value (in my opinion).

SB 16 - Lowered LTC cost. OK, not bad.
HB 3784 - Created an online LTC course. ......
SB 263 - Removed a caliber requirement for qualification. ......
HB 435 - Defined additional folks that belong to a special class of people for carrying. Great.

I'm underwhelmed. They had the chance to use LTCers amazing safety record to really make a difference and instead chose not to. That does not represent me well.

I went back through every email I received from them, and HB 560 was mentioned *once* out of the 27 emails I received since Feb 4th - in the bill summary email sent on March 11th. Practically all of the rest were Constitutional Carry Circus Time.

Maybe I'll write them a letter explaining why they can stop sending me donation requests now.
HB 560 would have been great. But from my personal perspective, decriminalizing 30.06 signage would be MUCH more impactful and beneficial. In the last 12 months, I have not visited a single location where HB 560 would have changed my ability to carry. But I have had to face the choice of changing my plans or not carrying about once every other week due to a business owner who has decided that they should make the choice for me of how I defend myself and my family. I fully support property rights, but I also believe that your property rights should not extend to what an invited guest choses to wear underneath their clothing. In Florida and many other states, businesses somehow manage to stay in operation despite signs having no criminal penalties. I think the same would work here, and would be a huge practical benefit for LTC holders.

On your list above, the only one that benefits me is a lowered LTC cost, because it reduces the pain of maintaining my right to carry. CC would benefit me even more in that regard. But neither is nearly as important, to me as decriminalization of 30.06 signs, or passage of HB 560.

tornado
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tornado »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:In the last 12 months, I have not visited a single location where HB 560 would have changed my ability to carry.
While I don't disagree about 30.06, I guess you might not be a soccer dad any more? I have three kids in school, and my wife is a teacher. I'm at schools and school functions multiple times per week.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

To further expand upon my theory, I point to the previous session, where they put the enforcement, and even the actual legal authority, for government owned property carry restrictions, totally in the hands of the AG, rather than expressly clarify, and define,what, areas, portions, or premises, or even whether they are owned or leased, can be prohibited. That prevented them from actually having to face blowback in their districts, and put the bad guy tag on the AG, who has managed to anger both sides of the issue.
As a consequence, we are for the most part still at the mercy, of the powers that be in individual cities and counties, with no true law, that can be enforced. HB560 would have done exactly that, and once again the Legislators ran from it, like it was a rabid dog. The bill did not require opposition from the left, it was killed by lack of backbone. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 1911 10MM »

If incremental steps is what is necessary this seems backwards as HB 560 should be the priority not Constitutional Carry. It is apparent that the gun groups who I will not name are in control. I guess the squeaky wheel does get the oil!

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”