Trip to New England with K6S ????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

Trip to New England with K6S ????

Post by MJR »

I have a CCW app on my phone and just don't understand it enough to be comfortable. Will not take Glock 19 as New York says way too many bullets. Have a 6 shot Kimber K6S that I wish to take to New England (including NY and staying out of the city). I will drive a van so no trunk. When in Calf I keep it locked w/o bullets in a Prlican 1150 in the back of the van. Do you guys think that is enough in the far northeast of New England?

johncanfield

Re: Trip to New England with K6S ????

Post by johncanfield »

You will have to do your research for each state you drive in for transport requirements. Get on a laptop and Google away.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

rotor

Post by rotor »

I believe hollow points are illegal in NJ. So many stupid laws. If you are smart you won't go into NJ.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

rotor wrote:I believe hollow points are illegal in NJ. So many stupid laws. If you are smart you won't go into NJ.
Ain't those "hollow points" dat em cop killing bullets?!?!? Dem dat go tru armor, like tanks? :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

New York is a problem. They feel that if you stop for the night in their state then you are no longer covered by the federal firearms owners protection act (FOPA). They say you have reached a destination and at that destination you are not permitted to have a handgun. Since you have an intended destination in NY then you are definitely not covered. Sorry, but is jail time and felony conviction worth the chance? I know that it is their intention to discourage out of staters from bringing firearms to NY. It is unfortunate that it works.
From: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015010 ... sportation
NRA ILA
APPEARS IN Gun Laws
Guide To The Interstate Transportation Of Firearms

Thursday, January 1, 2015 Guide To The Interstate Transportation Of Firearms
Support NRA-ILA

CAUTION: Federal and state firearms laws are subject to frequent change. This summary is not to be considered as legal advice or a restatement of law. To determine the applicability of these laws to specific situations which you may encounter, you are strongly urged to consult a local attorney.
INTRODUCTION

Federal law does not restrict individuals from transporting legally acquired firearms across state lines for lawful purposes except those explicitly prohibited by federal law to include convicted felons; persons under indictment for felonies; adjudicated “mental defectives” or those who have been involuntarily committed to mental institutions; illegal drug users; illegal aliens and most non-immigrant aliens; dishonorably discharged veterans; those who have renounced their U.S. citizenship; fugitives from justice; persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence; and persons subject to certain domestic violence restraining orders. Therefore, no federal permit is required (or available) for the interstate transportation of firearms.

Many states and localities have laws governing the transportation of firearms. Travelers must be aware of these laws and comply with legal requirements in each jurisdiction. There is no uniform state transportation procedure for firearms. If in doubt, a traveler should carry firearms unloaded, locked in a case, and stored in an area (such as a trunk or attached toolbox) where they are inaccessible from a vehicle’s passenger compartment and not visible from outside the vehicle. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate locked container. Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 s926A

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.
CARRYING ON OR ABOUT THE PERSON

As soon as any firearm is carried on or about the person, or placed loaded or readily accessible in a vehicle, state and local laws regarding the carrying of firearms apply. If you seek to carry or transport firearms in such a manner, it is advisable that you determine what the law is by contacting the Attorney General’s office in each state through which you may travel or by reviewing the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Guide (available online at https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/ or by calling NRA-ILA at 800-392-8683). You may also wish to determine whether the state issues any necessary permits to non-residents and how to obtain one, if available. While many states require permits to carry usable, loaded firearms on or about one’s person, some will not issue such permits to non-residents.

TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

In most states, firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the driver or any passenger. The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to transportation of handguns and so-called “assault weapons.” The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers of which you must consult local law.

If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the trunk of the car. If your vehicle is of the type in which driving and living spaces are not separated, the problem becomes one of access. If the firearm is carried on or about the person, or placed in the camper where it is readily accessible to the driver or any passenger, state and local laws regarding concealed carrying of firearms may apply. It is recommended, therefore, that the firearm be transported unloaded, cased, and placed in a locked rear compartment of the camper or mobile home, where it is inaccessible to the driver or any passenger.

Generally, a mobile home is considered a home if it is not attached to a towing vehicle, and is permanently attached to utilities, placed on blocks, or otherwise parked in such a manner that it cannot immediately be started up and used as a vehicle.

Once you reach your destination, state and local law will govern the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.
N5PNZ

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TreyHouston wrote:
rotor wrote:I believe hollow points are illegal in NJ. So many stupid laws. If you are smart you won't go into NJ.
Ain't those "hollow points" dat em cop killing bullets?!?!? Dem dat go tru armor, like tanks? :biggrinjester:
They are also heat seeking and can curve around barricades.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

They make 10-round mags for the G19

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-G19-9MM-L ... Sw-0xYebhp
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

2farnorth wrote:New York is a problem. They feel that if you stop for the night in their state then you are no longer covered by the federal firearms owners protection act (FOPA). They say you have reached a destination and at that destination you are not permitted to have a handgun. Since you have an intended destination in NY then you are definitely not covered. Sorry, but is jail time and felony conviction worth the chance? I know that it is their intention to discourage out of staters from bringing firearms to NY. It is unfortunate that it works.
So like the song says "when you're goin through hell, keep on going...."

Sounds like it's best to have two drivers and a full tank of gas to make sure you don't need to stop in NY.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I would not take a firearm in or even through NY at all. My understanding, IANAL, is that all guns must be registered with the State PERIOD. An unregistered firearm will get you a felony conviction in NY.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Leftist states like New York remind me of East Berlin when the wall was still up.

I fully appreciate some of us still have family in them (I do) but, I'll no longer visit them as I value my freedom too much...they come to see me, or we don't see each other.

It's easy for me say stay out of them as I have that option. Some with jobs get transferred to these leftist states, but I wouldn't go anymore than if they wanted to transfer me to Venezuela or Cuba...

What you say?

It's not that bad in those states.

Besides, many leftist states are beautiful, like California or even Massachusetts.

O.K., and so is Venezuela (I've spent time all over Venezuela, last time a week before Chavez took over, but you couldn't pay me enough to ever go again.

Our leftist states are just as freedom hating as these commie countries, but with the barest scintilla of American freedom smeared over them...

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

If you travel through Pennsylvania, you can use I-84 and cross into NY around Newburgh. You'll have to figure out if you can get to a safe haven from that point in a driving day - or not.

Before I had an LTC, we traveled from Ephrata, PA to Mystic Seaport, CT (which is NOT a firearm safe haven) in one day in an big RV. Vermont should be doable in a passenger vehicle using a slightly different route in that same abount of time. When we went to Yellowstone, we parked the RV at Fishing Bridge and did day trips from there to the rest of the park. If you used that same concept from Vermont, you might be able to get to a lot of places that are gun unfriendly and would still be able to have your firearm with you, especially for the main part of the trip. It was 2,200 miles from Dallas to Mystic Seaport but we didn't take a straight route.

From our experience, I can tell you that fuel stops were our highest risk places. I'm also hyper-vigilant in Interstate rest stops. I felt more comfortable in those places after I got my LTC. I still really pay attention though. As the others have suggested, stay out of NJ. We lived there for three years and it would be my guess that NJ and Hawaii are tied for the most unfriendly places in the country for guns. Northern NJ has more than its share of crime but they will prosecute you much harder as an out of State guy with a gun than they might a local hoodlum. Don't even think about I-95 as a route.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

When I go up that way I avoid NJ, CT, RI, and Ma. Vt, NH, and Me are gun friendly still. I gas up and eat in Pa. (Scranton area) then enter Ny at Binghamton on I 81 then take I 88 to Albany/Schenectady then a combination of I 90/I 87 then a two lane across into Bennington, Vt. Takes 3-4 hours depending on traffic in the Albany area. No stops.

I used to use I 84 to Ct but that has become unfriendly, bad traffic, plus still have to cross Ma to get to friendly states. One thing to remember on I 84: The first exit in NY will put you into the northern corner of NJ. The state line runs next to the freeway. Last time I was through there the state line was not noticeably marked. Driving through any of the places with Texas plates makes me feel like I have a target on my back.

In my previous post I thought I had read that you were going to stop in NY. I reread your original post and didn't see that any more. Be very careful when in "enemy" territory.
N5PNZ

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

Does FOPA apply to magazines? CO recognizes TX LTC, but has a 15 round restriction on magazines. If I'm passing thru CO on my way to UT would I have to remove a 17 round mag and load one that holds 15 or less? Can I transport the empty 17 rd mag separate from the pistol? The 17 rd mag is legal in TX where the trip starts and in UT where the trip ends. I haven't found anything definitive on line, though most opinions say that FOPA doesn't apply to mags or ammo restrictions.

This came up at the range where my Dad shoots in NM. One of the instructors there said that magazines were covered under FOPA, but I'm not convinced they are.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”