Twice in less than an hour

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Twice in less than an hour

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I just had two SA lapses in less than an hour.

I met a guy to sell an extra barrel that I had for my Mossberg 835. He asked if he could fit it to his gun. Sure, I said. So he removes the old barrel and slides the new barrel in place. As he is doing this, a shell falls out of the chamber. I just assumed he would be smart enough to actually clear his gun before handling it. Luckily the gun was pointed in a safe direction, although there likely would have been pellets ricocheting off the concrete if it had fired.

So then I head to Academy to return a defective gun safe. I do my business and walk to my car. As I am sitting in the drivers seat double checking the return amount on the receipt, I hear a knock on my car window a couple inches from my head. I roll down the window while my right hand moves a bit closer to my openly carried gun. Guy says that he saw my holster while I was in the store and wanted to know where I got it (custom holster by RD Warren). So completely harmless, but I somehow let a guy follow me from the store to my car, then let him walk right up to my window, all without me noticing him at all.

I need to wake up!

Jusme

Re: Twice in less than an hour

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just had two SA lapses in less than an hour.

I met a guy to sell an extra barrel that I had for my Mossberg 835. He asked if he could fit it to his gun. Sure, I said. So he removes the old barrel and slides the new barrel in place. As he is doing this, a shell falls out of the chamber. I just assumed he would be smart enough to actually clear his gun before handling it. Luckily the gun was pointed in a safe direction, although there likely would have been pellets ricocheting off the concrete if it had fired.

So then I head to Academy to return a defective gun safe. I do my business and walk to my car. As I am sitting in the drivers seat double checking the return amount on the receipt, I hear a knock on my car window a couple inches from my head. I roll down the window while my right hand moves a bit closer to my openly carried gun. Guy says that he saw my holster while I was in the store and wanted to know where I got it (custom holster by RD Warren). So completely harmless, but I somehow let a guy follow me from the store to my car, then let him walk right up to my window, all without me noticing him at all.

I need to wake up!
Great Post Soccerdad1995!

Good examples of how easy it can be to be distracted, for even a minute, and have a potentially bad situation occur. Glad, nothing bad happened, but it is definitely a wake up call, and a reminder to others to keep your radar on high alert at all times.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It is very easy to go white quick. If someone can startle you then you were not aware. I am constantly having to wake myself up. We live in a dangerous world.

Thanks for reminding us and I am glad everything turned out okay for you.

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just had two SA lapses in less than an hour.

I need to wake up!
Great Post Soccerdad1995!

Good examples of how easy it can be to be distracted, for even a minute, and have a potentially bad situation occur. Glad, nothing bad happened, but it is definitely a wake up call, and a reminder to others to keep your radar on high alert at all times.
I always thought I was aware of my surroundings until I got my LTC training. I have since drilled parking lot awareness into my family and I probably look like a guard detail when I get out of a car, but at least THEY know I am watching. The wife and I laugh about the things we see now that we missed before. We call the ones with their head in their phone sniper bait.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Thanks for the post. Always good reminders of those moments we slip up.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

So the guy saw you where carrying, followed you, then scared you by knocking on your window. We really need the face palm emoji! :roll:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Great post. It should remind us all to be aware of our surroundings at all times.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Never Again!!”