Do You Meditate?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 8

Do You Meditate?

Post by Abraham »

I've never had any interest in meditation, but I'm reading a book that espouses it's benefits per the book "Stealing Fire" by Steven Kotler.

Its not one a new age/crystals/the power of pyramids kind of goofiness book, but is quite credible.

So, my question: If you do meditate, how do you go about it?

Yes, I'm sure I can research it on the internet, but I trust those here to tell me: Either, don't bother it's a waste of time or yes, it's quite helpful.

What say you?

Thanks!

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Do You Meditate?

Post by WTR »

I can lower my heart rate from the high 60 s to the low 40 s for shooting. My friend lowered he blood pressure from a severely broken ankle from code levels to very low.... The EMTs were amazed.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WTR,

Wow, that's impressive.

So, is it a daily thing you do or ...?

If so, how often, and how?

P.S. think it might help with insomnia?

Thanks!

Sport Coach
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sport Coach »

Yes, when I need to. I was first introduced to it in The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson in the mid 70s. It's not a crystals and humming sort of thing but states if that works for you, similar to prayer for others, then do it. It's a small but important book for health: lowering blood pressure, decreasing stress, etc. and wonderfully improving shooting abilities.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Abraham wrote:WTR,

Wow, that's impressive.

So, is it a daily thing you do or ...?

If so, how often, and how?

P.S. think it might help with insomnia?

Thanks!
I don't know how often she practices meditation. I use meditation for shooting and pain control. My Dad was a Clinical Psycologist and I had access to Bio Feed back equipment which aided me.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Sports Coach,

Thanks for the book tip, I'll look it up.

The book I'm reading now suggests it helps in a number of ways and in a short time.

Frankly, I was always skeptical about it, but now as my blood pressure has gone sideways and sleep avoids me, I'm willing to look into it without being such a skeptic.

Given the amount of bogus self-help info out there, I thought it just another among many sham ideas and now I rather regret I didn't give it a chance...

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

I pray to God in Jesus name. I don't know if people want to call that meditation or not . Happy 4th :patriot:

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WTR,

Pain control is something I could also use.

Without sounding (I hope) like I'm whining, I live in a world of pain daily.

Can't say I've gotten used to it, but I manage it without anything more than one meloxicam nsaid daily. Frankly, it doesn't afford me much pain control, but sure a little. I'm not going to take opioids, though I did for a bit. However, I still do plenty of physical effort and when I do there's little pain, but when I stop, the pain parade marches...move a certain way and wham...Alright enough of my whinging.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

After my Bible reading and prayer time in the morning I close all noise out and meditate for fifteen minutes. I sit quietly and think about what I have just read.

I used to take all kinds of medicine to be able to sleep, but not anymore. I read that people who use digital devices an hour before bedtime have insomnia. I started going to bed turning off all devices that make noise. I begin to count to 100 and back while breathing in deep and exhale. Most of the time I don't even get to 100 and I am long asleep. I sleep all the way through the night without any interruptions. I have had no medications in a year and half to go to sleep.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Abraham wrote:WTR,

Pain control is something I could also use.

Without sounding (I hope) like I'm whining, I live in a world of pain daily.

Can't say I've gotten used to it, but I manage it without anything more than one meloxicam nsaid daily. Frankly, it doesn't afford me much pain control, but sure a little. I'm not going to take opioids, though I did for a bit. However, I still do plenty of physical effort and when I do there's little pain, but when I stop, the pain parade marches...move a certain way and wham...Alright enough of my whinging.
I have sever migraines. I have been prescribed opioids and are now off them. I do have a cocktail of narcotics that I reserve for a "boomer" as I call them. The Doctors allow me to take an Alleve when needed ( worthless) Yoga, stretching, and meditation are the most effective on a daily basis.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pilgrim,

As a non-believer, I don't pray.

However, I'm sure praying works as another form of meditation. I'm envious, I wish I did believe, but I don't. I tried for many years, but finally realized I couldn't 'force' myself to believe. I went to many a church service, listened to many a sermon, joined and stayed with a bible study group led by a scholarly preacher. Didn't take... I do however wish well for all of those of faith. My lack doesn't make me want others to stop...I wish atheists would stop their unkindness towards people of faith. I'm a sort of non-believing Christian if that makes any sense...? I guess I'm saying I'm pro-Christian without actually being one...

I digress.

The book I'm reading also speaks of how meditation can allow the mind to clear itself for greater clarity of thinking and creativity.

The more I read and listen to feedback regarding meditation the greater it's benefits sound.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I don't specifically meditate, but I consider the quiet, focused stretching I do before a 90' martial arts class as my form of meditation. Deliberate breathing, quiet mind, all that. Then ninety minutes of training, or teaching & training. Wonderful for the mind/body/spirit.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

carlson1,

Thank you.

Your tips on sleep are much appreciated.

Having to rely on medication is not only unhealthy, but in it's own way, rather humiliating...

WTR,

I too have a past (not lately) of migraines.

Sumatriptan (100 mg imitrex) is what I was prescribed and it worked for me, though it made me drowsy.

A fine crew we have here...

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Pilgrim wrote:I pray to God in Jesus name. I don't know if people want to call that meditation or not . Happy 4th :patriot:

Amen. Same here.

Return to “Off-Topic”