Dash Cam

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dash Cam

Post by apostate »

The last time this discussion came around somebody mentioned a website. I think it was https://dashboardcamerareviews.com

After considering their picks in different price ranges, I got a G1W. The price has since dropped under $50 so I would suggest that as the cheapest one should consider these days. I'll post a sample video tonight, if I remember.

When it finally dies, I will go up market, but it's good enough for my needs that I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet, even after three years plus.

Revet

Post by Revet »

This is what I have. I've been happy with it and would never go back to not having at least a forward-looking camera. The Mobius is an inexpensive multipurpose action camera and an excellent 1080p dashcam with good sound and lots of adjustment, different lenses available and many mounting accessories. You'll see lots of reviews.

[url]

[url]

Youtube compression, or whatever it is, makes these samples look nowhere near as good as they really are. You can read license plates, etc. and they don't have the problems with bright backlight or dusk that some dash cameras have. The little mobius can do just about anything, and if you order it direct you can get the dashcam version with cabling, isolator and a capacitor instead of a battery (lasts much longer).

(I did something wrong with the links)
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

ArmedAndPolite

Post by ArmedAndPolite »

I use an old smart phone. There is an app (Cam On Road) that automatically starts recording when the phone is plugged in, and stops when the phone is unplugged.

I wired a lightning USB cable into my vehicle and installed a switch, it's always plugged in. When I get in, I switch on, starts recording and records in 15 minute pieces. When I'm done, I switch off and it stops. Re-records over older videos when you run out of storage. Videos are amazing quality and I use a standard windshield mount. Only thing I worry about is someone seeing it and breaking in to get it.

There are a lot of phones with cracked screens going for very little on ebay and amazon you can designate as a dashcam.
12/28/12 Online Application
01/11/13 All documents mailed w/signature confirmation
02/11/13 Plastic in hand
Total time: 48 days

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

ArmedAndPolite wrote:I use an old smart phone. There is an app (Cam On Road) that automatically starts recording when the phone is plugged in, and stops when the phone is unplugged.

I wired a lightning USB cable into my vehicle and installed a switch, it's always plugged in. When I get in, I switch on, starts recording and records in 15 minute pieces. When I'm done, I switch off and it stops. Re-records over older videos when you run out of storage. Videos are amazing quality and I use a standard windshield mount. Only thing I worry about is someone seeing it and breaking in to get it.

There are a lot of phones with cracked screens going for very little on ebay and amazon you can designate as a dashcam.
What kind of mount do you use?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Purchased the Gitup Git2P 170 action camera from Amazon.
Comes with a 30m waterproof case and several mounts including a handle bar mount. Also picked up a suction mount for it.
It comes with one 1000mah rechargeable battery, but also can be connected to a usb charger.
Here is the first driving test. Used Garmin Virb editor and myTracks app to overlay GPS data.
Has settings for dash cam, Auto-start on power, loop recording. Also gyro stabilization.

Return to “Off-Topic”