Who makes a good thumb break holster?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Who makes a good thumb break holster?

Post by cmgee67 »

Been thinkin about one for my 45 shield.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Who makes a good thumb break holster?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here you go: Safariland Model 7 Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster for M&P Shield .45 ACP.

Shown with a Glock pistol, but it is this holster:

I have two of them, and highly recommend them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote:Been thinkin about one for my 45 shield.
The Safariland website Holster Finder lists only one thumb break holster for the S&W Shield .45.
Here is the list:
http://www.safariland.com/holster-searc ... ntListText
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here you go: Safariland Model 7 Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster for M&P Shield .45 ACP.

Nice holster review you left on the Safariland website. But who is that slim youngster in the photos?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

aero10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aero10 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here you go: Safariland Model 7 Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster for M&P Shield .45 ACP.

This is what I have for my Shield 40, except I got mine in black.

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I sound like a broken record espousing his work, but for $10 - $20 more than you'd pay for a store-bought production product, RDWarren Leather will
make something you'll be proud to put on your belt:

http://rdwarrenleather.com/gallery.html

About a week to ten day lead time. Give it a look, you will NOT be disappointed.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

EastTexasRancher wrote:I sound like a broken record espousing his work, but for $10 - $20 more than you'd pay for a store-bought production product, RDWarren Leather will
make something you'll be proud to put on your belt:

http://rdwarrenleather.com/gallery.html

About a week to ten day lead time. Give it a look, you will NOT be disappointed.
:iagree:

If he made holsters for all my guns, then I would never buy from anyone else.

I believe he does make holsters for the Shield, BTW.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

That Safariland thumb break holster is gorgeous and in my opinion quite reasonably priced, but I wonder how much extra effort/time is there to unsnap/unholster and have in your pistol in hand vs a kydex non-retention holster.

I'm sure there's not very much extra time/effort, but still when adrenaline is involved, every micro moment counts...

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:That Safariland thumb break holster is gorgeous and in my opinion quite reasonably priced, but I wonder how much extra effort/time is there to unsnap/unholster and have in your pistol in hand vs a kydex non-retention holster.

I'm sure there's not very much extra time/effort, but still when adrenaline is involved, every micro moment counts...
I have practiced with both, in high speed draw drills, I can't tell any difference, but a thumb break was all I carried when a LEO, so my natural reaction, is to try to unsnap it anyway. I never had to shoot my gun as a LEO, but I did have to draw it under stress a few times, and muscle memory took over, so much, that I had no conscious memory of even drawing. It's all one motion for me, but it comes from a lot of practice, over several years. YMMV
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:That Safariland thumb break holster is gorgeous and in my opinion quite reasonably priced, but I wonder how much extra effort/time is there to unsnap/unholster and have in your pistol in hand vs a kydex non-retention holster.

Truthfully, UNholstering is a snap (no pun intended). My draw is pretty much the same either way, and the snap falls very naturally under my thumb, such that there is no unnatural movement to getting the gun out of the holster. However REholstering is more complicated because the straps get in the way on either side of the holster, and I find that I have to be much more careful and pay greater attention than I do with a regular open topped holster without a retention strap.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I want to also mention Panther Concealment. They make an OWB holster that is a different type of paddle holster. Basically the "paddle" portion is only long enough to cover the back of your belt (through your pants). So unlike traditional paddle holster designs, this one hold your gun just as close to your body as a pancake type design.

Cost is very reasonable, but there is no thumb break or other retention device. I will post a full review in a separate thread as soon as I get some pictures of the holster they made for my Walther PPS.

http://pantherconcealment.com/owb-holsters.html

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I use the safariland 7TS ALS for my Glock 19 but safariland doesn't make one for my 45 shield. I have always loved the look of the traditional thumb break and would like to give it a shot. I really like that RD warren somebody mentioned. I'll check with safariland about that one TAM.

QB

Post by QB »

I have a High Noon thumb break as well as a Snapper holster. Love them both!!!
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

The Annoyed Man

oljames3 wrote:

Nice holster review you left on the Safariland website. But who is that slim youngster in the photos?
That "slim youngster" had a shaggy white beard that was cropped out of the picture. He is currently wearing an orthopedic boot on a busted up ankle, and gaining weight from forced inactivity. :???:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”