"Ranger" belts. What's the deal?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

"Ranger" belts. What's the deal?

Post by C-dub »

Since I'm still looking around for a belt holster for my Colt GCT and think I may have narrowed it down to a Tucker HF1, I'm thinking that I might also get a belt to go with it. What's the deal with "Ranger" belts?

Is there something other than just aesthetics? I have a plain jane Galco light brown gun belt now that I've worn a lot in the past 6-8 years or so and it only shows slight markings from putting on and removing the belt holster that I use now versus the paddle I used to use. That reminds me of another question. If and when I decide on a new rig, which will probably be more aptly called a BBQ rig and mostly used for OC, how would I go about not having to remove the holster and cause damage over time to the belt like the one I currently have? Or would it not be an issue because it would be a leather holster and belt unlike the leather belt and synthetic holster belt slide material I'm using now?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OlBill

Re: "Ranger" belts. What's the deal?

Post by OlBill »

I have 3 from Tucker. It's a style, but back in the day the billet or whatever it's called was easier and cheaper to change than replacing the belt.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

george wrote:Just my thoughts, but the ranger style belt will not have a full size buckle.

For instance, my gun belt is 1 and 1/2 inches wide, and the buckle is also 1 and 1/2 inches wide. If I had a 1 and 1/2 inch ranger belt, the portion at the front, where the buckle goes, may only be 3/4 inch wide. There may be other advantages, but it keeps a large buckle from digging into any parts that now hang over my belt. :yawn
I've considered that and it is not a need at this time, but still a valid comfort concern when moving or bending.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

OlBill wrote:I have 3 from Tucker. It's a style, but back in the day the billet or whatever it's called was easier and cheaper to change than replacing the belt.
From the sounds of their warranty and reports regarding their customer service, I would bet that if a billet ever did need replacing that they would be able to do it and might be covered under that warranty.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Pictures?

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:Pictures?
Of what? OlBill's 3 Tucker belts?

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

C-dub wrote:
OlBill wrote:I have 3 from Tucker. It's a style, but back in the day the billet or whatever it's called was easier and cheaper to change than replacing the belt.
From the sounds of their warranty and reports regarding their customer service, I would bet that if a billet ever did need replacing that they would be able to do it and might be covered under that warranty.
Yeah, I meant when the style first came out. Tucker has very high quality.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

C-dub wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Pictures?
Of what? OlBill's 3 Tucker belts?
A "Ranger Belt".

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

OlBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Yeah, I meant when the style first came out. Tucker has very high quality.

Here is an article about the origin of Ranger belts.
https://truewestmagazine.com/the-legacy ... nger-belt/
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

That's funny! I thought you were talking about Ares Ranger belts! :lol: (These are also superb)

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_ ... ducts_id=6

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

The billets also extended the useful life of the gun belt as the straps were easy to replace when the leather wore out from repeated bending and twisting.
Ha! And I was working from memory.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

flechero wrote:That's funny! I thought you were talking about Ares Ranger belts! :lol: (These are also superb)

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_ ... ducts_id=6
We called those "rigger belts".

The parachute riggers would sew them up out of old harnesses and hardware.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”