Houston Chronicle - Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve5115
Posts in topic: 2

Houston Chronicle - Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message

Post by Steve5115 »

Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message
By Chris TomlinsonJuly 14, 2017 Updated: July 15, 2017 12:43am
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busines ... ron-result

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston Chronicle - Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message

Post by flechero »

Pretty weak article. If the whole cc crowd had old 44 revolvers laying on their desks and challenging attitudes, the column may be a bit more honest. In all of houston, he found a surly old guy in a repair shop ("a few years ago") with a gun on his desk to stereotype all of us with.

I liked how he was sure gun owners would complain about his article... well mr writer, paint us all with a dishonestly broad brush and we rightly should. I'm sure he'd be offended if we all assumed he was no better than "________" crappy, made up, fake news writers.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Not all former military or law enforcement believe that an individual is bestowed rights by their Creator and are entitled to exercise their rights regardless of how it makes others feel.
Leftists gotta control others....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

He doesn't like guns and doesn't want to see them.

Ah, ok, don't look in my direction.

Problem solved.

He seems irked that some gun owners won't do business with businesses that ban guns, but turns right around and states he won't do business with the repair guy because the repair guy keeps out a gun...?

Huh?

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Precision, please! The shopkeeper wasn't packing a gun, he had it laying on his desk. It should have been on his person and I'd also question his judgement in other ways, too.

A revolver? In these modern times?

1911, Hi-Power, Sig, H&K, Kahr, heck, even a Glock - but a revolver? Is he huntin' or defendin'?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Houston Chronicle is a Hearst Newspapers, LLC liberal rag. They rarely post/write/distribute an even-handed honest article about anything dealing with family values, abortion, conservative position on issues, guns or self-defense. Its paper subscriptions took a major dive years ago and I've been told this has not changed. That's why they rely more and more on the website at http://www.Chron.com for advertising revenue. Apparently, there's even a subscription-based web access section, but I have not confirmed that for obvious reasons. I quit reading their website simply because I do not want to contribute to their "click count" it uses to seek advertisers.

The editorial board is what you would expect from such a liberal propagandist. Their "factual" news reports are usually factually incorrect, editorialized, or both. The article referenced by the OP is a great example. The author makes the arrogant statement that "most people" believe the way he believes. That has not been what I have observed from people. For every person I've met that voiced opposition to citizens carrying self-defense handguns, there were dozens who were happy people did so. Yes, there was a considerable amount of citizen opposition to open-carry when it was being debated in the Legislature, but that was due to both liberal lies and self-inflicted wounds by people who chose a poor way to get publicity. Now that open-carry has been the law for 19 months, it's a non-issue. I'm not starting a pro/con open-carry discussion, I'm simply pointing out that the only significant "don't carry" movement in Texas was directed solely at open-carry and it was short-lived.

If you want to shock me, show me an honest article or editorial dealing with guns in the Houston Chronicle. But, please warn me in advance so I can prepare and not be taken by surprise. I think I'll do a TFC Short Shot about that article.

Chas.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Well, I thought this might be a relevant article for my wife, so I sent her a copy. I suggested that perhaps she shouldn't carry in her small business anymore, mainly because this journalist says it's a bad thing. Why does a jeweler NEED a gun anyway?

Her response to me cannot be posted here due to the rules of the forum.

:biggrinjester:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I agree with Charles, this is a hack piece talking about an non-existent issue. The writer, even had to go back a "few years" to find one example. and none since.

If I had a repair shop in Houston, I would probably not only have a revolver, but a shotgun, AR, and a few other things to protect myself.

The only message being sent, by carrying a gun in your business, is "Mr criminal, you may want to ply your trade elsewhere"

If the writer, is that traumatized, perhaps he should should stay in his safe space and order everything on line.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I too agree with Charles about the Chronicle. Subscribed for years until moved to Hill Country almost three years ago. Get the SA Express News. It too is Hearst liberal rag. The odd thing is that it hasn't always been that way. Went to my MIL in Seguin starting 28 years ago. Remember reading the EN and thought it was relatively conservative which you'd think in Military City USA. I have a hard time getting through the front section as every article is basing Trump, something about LBGT, or trashing Dan Patrick and promoting Joe Strauss. Cannot imagine how it squares up with the values of those who live here. Same thing with Chronicle and Houston.
I'd cancel but my wife still wants it plus we're of the generation that reads the paper every day. The only good thing is I can select which headlines to use in the bottom if my parrot's cage.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

I agree with the sentiment that the Houston Chronicle is a poorly written, liberal rag that has no desire to publish balanced, factually correct news. The article started out with the reporter talking about an incident from several years ago, summarizes the current state of gun laws in Texas, gives an overview from a Texas attorney with a CHL on property rights and then spirals into a trash can with the reporter talking about how people feel and react at the sight of a gun.

However, what I found most interesting is the following. The article also had an advertisement for NRA Carry Guard! :biggrinjester:
Attachments
Chron.jpg
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
Steve5115

Post by Steve5115 »

Monday Letters:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion ... o-13252394

[/quote]Regarding "Weapons laws create dilemma for businesses" (Page B1, Sunday), business columnist Chris Tomlinson makes a compelling case for not conducting business with a business that allows employees and/or customers to carry weapons in its establishment.[/quote]

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

OneGun wrote:
However, what I found most interesting is the following. The article also had an advertisement for NRA Carry Guard! :biggrinjester:
That's a targeted ad based on your browsing history. It was purchased "programmatically" and directed at you in miliseconds as the page loaded because you've been to their website, or a similar one. It wasn't sold to the NRA by the publisher. If you were researching baby formula in the last 2 days it would have likely been for diapers.

It could have also been what they call a contextual ad. Google's supercomputers crawling the web and put that ad there because of the content of the story...picked up on "Concealed Handgun License" in the text.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Steve5115 wrote:
Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message
By Chris TomlinsonJuly 14, 2017 Updated: July 15, 2017 12:43am
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busines ... ron-result
Something I noticed in the article...
...I spoke with David Barron, a labor and employment attorney at Cozen O'Connor in Houston...

"The knee-jerk reaction is no guns in the workplace," Barron said.

But that is changing as some businesses worry about security.

"Many companies don't have full-time armed security on-site. Is it a reasonable alternative to have a select individual or two have a concealed-carry weapon? I've had several clients choose to do that," he said.
This guy giving them legal advice in regards to this?...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

TVGuy wrote:
OneGun wrote:
That's a targeted ad based on your browsing history. It was purchased "programmatically" and directed at you in miliseconds as the page loaded because you've been to their website, or a similar one. It wasn't sold to the NRA by the publisher. If you were researching baby formula in the last 2 days it would have likely been for diapers.

It could have also been what they call a contextual ad. Google's supercomputers crawling the web and put that ad there because of the content of the story...picked up on "Concealed Handgun License" in the text.
You're right. I did visit the NRA website recently to purchase a 3-year renewal of my NRA membership. Nonetheless, I still found it humorous that there was a NRA Carry Guard ad on an anti-gun article.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”