Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Alaska2texas
Posts in topic: 1

Length of time for the chambered round

Post by Alaska2texas »

Good evening fellows!

Just wanted some input on how long to leave a round chambered. Ive jad the same 9mm round chambered for a couple of months now (between cleanings) i have never changed the ammo around when the firearm is put back together...does this effect anything in the long run?

Is there anything that should push me towards frequently putting a differnt bullet in there?
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

cmgee67

Re: Length of time for the chambered round

Post by cmgee67 »

This is a touchy subject to some. Sometimes re-chambering the same round over and over can cause bullet set back and as well as the rim of the case getting eating up by the extractor. It's more common in 45 that I have seen than 9mm. It depends on how much I shoot but, generally I leave the same round chambered for a month or so and when I break the gun down to clean and lube it and inspect it I will check the round. If it looks great back in the chamber it goes. If it doesn't I put a fresh in in and add the old to the ranch pile. I cycle my carry ammo twice a year. It's not necessary but it makes me feel better. Usually when it's time to cycle I'll be at my range and draw from concealment and fire all 7 rounds of 45 drop the mag and reload with my back up then fire it. I do it as quick as I can as if I'm in a real situation. Truth be told you don't know if the round in your gun is gonna fire. It could be a dud. I do it to see if I'd live or not if the time came LOL! But on a serious note. I don't think you need to change it all the time.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I don't think it matters. However, my practice when cleaning is removing the mag. , eject the chambered round, check the chamber and then disasimble and clean the weapon. I then reasimble the weapon, inset the mag., release the slide to chamber a round ,check to see the weapon is on safe, remove the mag. Insert the round previously in the chamber to top off the mag. And reinsert the mag. Of course the rounds get fired at the range regularly.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Alaska2texas wrote: Is there anything that should push me towards frequently putting a differnt bullet in there?
Just proficiency and practice.... I used to recycle the same round but now I try to run 1-3 mags of carry ammo at least monthly, just so I know I'm staying proficient with it.

From a working standpoint, unless you soak down the gun with oil, that round should work indefinitely. But there is always the question of why you'd want to risk it over a $0.50 round.

Better to run some carry ammo here and there for practice and keep the ace in the pipe fresh. After all, it's the most important round you will ever shoot, outside the range.

:tiphat:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

WTR wrote:I don't think it matters. However, my practice when cleaning is removing the mag. , eject the chambered round, check the chamber and then disasimble and clean the weapon. I then reasimble the weapon, inset the mag., release the slide to chamber a round ,check to see the weapon is on safe, remove the mag. Insert the round previously in the chamber to top off the mag. And reinsert the mag. Of course the rounds get fired at the range regularly.
:iagree: This is what I do as well. About 6 times a year, I will start my range session by firing my 65 round basic load of self defense ammo in drills I learned at KR Training. Part of the "3 seconds or less" drills is to drop a mag, load a fresh mag, chamber a round and, from 7 yards, get an A zone hit to the body, all in 3 seconds or less. https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Informa ... OrLess.htm
Last edited by oljames3 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Personally, I only ever chamber a round once. If it's not fired that time, it goes to the range stash and will be fired the next time it's loaded. I will keep the same round chambered in my self defense gun for about two weeks, then move it to the stash and bring the next round in the mag up to chamber, and top it off so it's full.

That's just my personal preference.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

BHill

Post by BHill »

I would say it depends on your ammo and your firearm combination.

Several years ago I wondered how many times a round could be chambered without experiencing setback. I took my calipers to the range and proceeded to chamber a round from a full magazine. My combination produced no setback at all and after 50 cycles I quit worrying about it. My carry ammo gets shot up every two months or so and I don't load/unload every other day so it has served me well. Other combinations may not work as well or might even be better. My suggestion is to test yourself and you will know how your combination will perform. Best of luck.
NRA Life Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

JMHO
I have checked all 14 rounds in my Magazine and the round in the chamber, I have yet to see an expiration date on any of them, so as long as they look like they just came out of the box, they will be part of my EDC
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

crazy2medic wrote:JMHO
I have checked all 14 rounds in my Magazine and the round in the chamber, I have yet to see an expiration date on any of them, so as long as they look like they just came out of the box, they will be part of my EDC
:iagree: :lol::
Yep. Just in the corse of living, I shoot 'em long before they could go bad.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

strogg

Post by strogg »

Also note to make sure the bullet is still round. Repeated insertions of the magazine with the same round at the top of the stack may cause the bullet to flatten out. I've had that happen with .45 gold dot. It got to the point where the round (or oblong at this point) won't even chamber. It'll just wedge in the chamber and stick the slide in place. I think gold dots are more susceptible than most because those are copper plated and not jacketed. I haven't had an issue with that in my 9mm gold dots. Nothing remotely close. I guess the smaller the diameter bullet, the harder it is to misshapen.

Medley86
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Medley86 »

If I'm re-chambering the same round that I pulled before I usually lock the slide back, drop the round in the pipe then release the slide. Just have to remember to pull it back slightly to make sure the extractor caught correctly. Then there should be no set back even if it were going to happen, no hitting a feed ramp.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

Medley86 wrote:If I'm re-chambering the same round that I pulled before I usually lock the slide back, drop the round in the pipe then release the slide. Just have to remember to pull it back slightly to make sure the extractor caught correctly. Then there should be no set back even if it were going to happen, no hitting a feed ramp.
:nono: Just an FYI:
Don't make a habit of doing this with a 1911, the "internal" extractor is not designed to "snap" over the rim of the cartridge, but to "slide" and lock into it as the case is pushed up from the magazine. You can break the extractor.
Custom 1911s with "external" extractors do not have this issue. Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting :cool:

Medley86
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Medley86 »

jimd1981 wrote:
Medley86 wrote:If I'm re-chambering the same round that I pulled before I usually lock the slide back, drop the round in the pipe then release the slide. Just have to remember to pull it back slightly to make sure the extractor caught correctly. Then there should be no set back even if it were going to happen, no hitting a feed ramp.
:nono: Just an FYI:
Don't make a habit of doing this with a 1911, the "internal" extractor is not designed to "snap" over the rim of the cartridge, but to "slide" and lock into it as the case is pushed up from the magazine. You can break the extractor.
Custom 1911s with "external" extractors do not have this issue. Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting :cool:
I don't carry my 1911 so it stays in the safe usually on an empty chamber. The 2 that I drop the slide onto a round are a LCP and XDm 40, if you know of either of them having an inherent flaw like that I would be glad to know now before I break something.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

When I unload and clear my weapon I take the round that was chambered and set it aside and rotate in a new round. I try not chamber the same round over and over to avoid having a chewed up round. If down the road I get chewed up rounds I will use those on the range. As far as how long I leave a round chambered in my gun its not that long as I clean my carry guns often.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”