Road rager pointed gun at woman

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Road rager pointed gun at woman

Post by Liberty »

The thing is that there are more cars in this area than road. The roads I travel on around the Houston area are typically Jammed. The Left-hand lane is the lane being passed as much as doing the passing. The roads often have entrances and exits from the Left hand side. and lanes that just disapear. Treavel and passing lanes sound like a good Idea, but it just doesn't work when lanes appear and reappear almost randomly. Rush hour isn't just an hour anymore its an all day thing and often well into the evening.

I have driven I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio several times. Driven many miles not being passed or passed. I've even passed on the right hand side. Biggest slow downs are 18 wheelers who often travel in bunches, and often side by side and well below the speed limit while climbing. A few minutes delay on a many hour trip isn't much difference anyway.

What I see as a bigger problem is road ragers and people who have no respect for the speed limits. People feel entitled to strike because they feel wronged. The guy waving the gun at fellow commuters is the problem. Not the lady in the left lane needing to take a left turn down the road.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 1911 10MM »

Liberty wrote:The thing is that there are more cars in this area than road. The roads I travel on around the Houston area are typically Jammed. The Left-hand lane is the lane being passed as much as doing the passing. The roads often have entrances and exits from the Left hand side. and lanes that just disapear. Treavel and passing lanes sound like a good Idea, but it just doesn't work when lanes appear and reappear almost randomly. Rush hour isn't just an hour anymore its an all day thing and often well into the evening.

I have driven I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio several times. Driven many miles not being passed or passed. I've even passed on the right hand side. Biggest slow downs are 18 wheelers who often travel in bunches, and often side by side and well below the speed limit while climbing. A few minutes delay on a many hour trip isn't much difference anyway.

What I see as a bigger problem is road ragers and people who have no respect for the speed limits. People feel entitled to strike because they feel wronged. The guy waving the gun at fellow commuters is the problem. Not the lady in the left lane needing to take a left turn down the road.
Sorry but I don't agree that the people impeding traffic in the left lane are looking to take a left handed exit. They should follow the signs that state "left lane is for Passing" and "slower traffic keep right". If these individuals want to stop others from speeding and monitor traffic they need to become Police Officers. The guy was clearly wrong in pulling his gun and I think everyone knows and understands that aspect

It's not the job of Joe blow citizen to regulate traffic speeds and those that do have some real issues.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

1911 10MM wrote: Sorry but I don't agree that the people impeding traffic in the left lane are looking to take a left handed exit. They should follow the signs that state "left lane is for Passing" and "slower traffic keep right". If these individuals want to stop others from speeding and monitor traffic they need to become Police Officers. The guy was clearly wrong in pulling his gun and I think everyone knows and understands that aspect

It's not the job of Joe blow citizen to regulate traffic speeds and those that do have some real issues.
Are you saying that you don't believe there are left side exits and entrances on our freeways? Have you ever driven in Houston or San Antonio? There is not enough road in our cities for only passing in the left hand lane? To only allow passing in the left lane is not only impractical but out right silly in our freeway system. You move when you can, and get in the lane you need to be to get off when you can. There are no excuses for road ragers. Safe courteous driving sometimes requires passing on the right, and traveling and exiting on the left. The desire to exceed the speed limit is no excuse for road rage.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Oldgringo »

If one wants to arrive on time, one should depart in time to arrive on time without playing like one is Mario Andretti. I've got no use for speeding civilians.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Liberty wrote:
1911 10MM wrote: Sorry but I don't agree that the people impeding traffic in the left lane are looking to take a left handed exit. They should follow the signs that state "left lane is for Passing" and "slower traffic keep right". If these individuals want to stop others from speeding and monitor traffic they need to become Police Officers. The guy was clearly wrong in pulling his gun and I think everyone knows and understands that aspect

Are you saying that you don't believe there are left side exits and entrances on our freeways? Have you ever driven in Houston or San Antonio? There is not enough road in our cities for only passing in the left hand lane? To only allow passing in the left lane is not only impractical but out right silly in our freeway system. You move when you can, and get in the lane you need to be to get off when you can. There are no excuses for road ragers. Safe courteous driving sometimes requires passing on the right, and traveling and exiting on the left. The desire to exceed the speed limit is no excuse for road rage.
Left lane exits are the exception not the rule. It sounds like you are making excuses for drivers who think they are speed monitors. We know why those who drive in the left hand lane impeding traffic do it and there is no excuse for it. Those who choose to speed will get caught eventually by a police officer whose job it is to monitor traffic, not Joe Blow citizen. Most of these drivers will speed up and slow down with a car next to them making it impossible to get around them. But hey they are just liking to make a left hand exit according to you. Like I said left hand exits are the exception not the rule.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Oldgringo wrote:If one wants to arrive on time, one should depart in time to arrive on time without playing like one is Mario Andretti. I've got no use for speeding civilians.
I have no use for self appointed speed monitors who think dictating the flow of traffic is their job.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

It appears some need a refresher on Texas traffic laws.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... TN.545.htm
SUBCHAPTER B. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY AND PASSING

Sec. 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.
Emphasis mine

This may also help as it is written in plain English and is less technical.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7.pdf

None of this justifies pulling a gun and pointing it at another driver on the roadway.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

There is no controversy regarding the fact that the guy was totally in the wrong to brandish his firearm. He is a dolt and he will get what he deserves.

But let's not try to excuse away the behavior of inattentive, distracted drivers who are also a major public safety issue. It does not take a highly skilled observer to be able to determine when a driver is paying more attention to their cell phone than the road. They typically are driving BELOW the speed limit, often times in the far left PASSING LANE, and weaving from side to side within the lane (or slightly over the line) while texting, reading email, Facebooking, who knows. And it can, and often does have tragic results. I would not be surprised to find out that this was the case with the driver who took the video of the brandisher.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

It confounds me that so many are so concerned with following the letter of the law vis-a-vis 30.06, 30.07, et al and yet think that traffic laws; especially vis-a-vis posted speed limits, do not apply. I reckon I'm just too easily confounded in my dotage? :headscratch

Y'all drive safely, you hear? :woohoo

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Responding to a wrong with a wrong is not appropriate. If the lady was doing something wrong or illegal, the guy should have dialed 911 and reported her. He didn't. He pulled a gun and pointed it at her.

As far as I can tell, the woman has not been cited for doing anything illegal. Justifying a road rager's illegal actions does no good. I too get extremely frustrated when someone is hogging the left lane and impeding traffic. However, I have never considered pulling my gun because of it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 8

Post by bblhd672 »

[quote="mojo84"]I too get extremely frustrated when someone is hogging the left lane and impeding traffic. However, I have never considered pulling my gun because of it.[/quote

:iagree: While I would never brandish my firearm, I have considered the joy of using roof mounted rockets to clear the roadway of inattentive and distracted drivers! :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: (Disclaimer: It's a joke folks, don't blow a blood vessel)
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

Totally off topic but since the drift here is already long...

I learn a lot about people in these types of threads. I'm pretty surprised by some of the posts (not related to the gun incident) in this one. There seems to be a lot of pent up road rage and a lot of "better than them" syndrome.

A ticket for speeding is no better than a ticket for impeding the flow... and the subsequent back up/dangers created by people stopped roadside with police is no better than that of the one caused by the person impeding traffic.

If you speed (and I do on road trips) I believe you need to accept that you WILL come up on people traveling slower (ie: the speed limit) than you in the left lane... and many of them are ALSO About to pass/passing/just passed another vehicle, just not a quickly as us. I accept that if I want to drive 80mph or ??mph that it is incumbent upon me to do so safely and not cause other drivers to falter in getting out of my way or do something dangerous to clear my path... I must be willing to wait in those jams (like everyone else) or let a truck pass another, even if it takes several minutes because of his company's governor in the truck. And if all else fails, and I'm stuck in a traffic jam like the rest of the cars, I take comfort in knowing that I left early and can still get there on time 99.99% of the time. ;-)

Deep breaths, everyone... wake up or leave a few minutes earlier and Drive Friendly, the Texas Way! (I've seen as many of those signs, as I have the "slower traffic keep right signs")

It's not about us... as most of you know. :tiphat:
Attachments
Drive Friendly.jpg
Drive Friendly.jpg (7.07 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
Drive Friendly triangle.jpg
Drive Friendly triangle.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

On big dirfferance between speeding and impeding traffic is that general speeding does not affect the drivers around them whereby the self appointed speed monitor is affecting the 1 or more drivers trying to get around them. I find that those impeding traffic are doing it for their own selfish reasons and find enjoyment in seeing the 1 or more cars behind them. I think it gives the self appointed monitors a feeling of gratification and self importance.

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

Liberty wrote: I have driven I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio several times. Driven many miles not being passed or passed. I've even passed on the right hand side. Biggest slow downs are 18 wheelers who often travel in bunches, and often side by side and well below the speed limit while climbing. A few minutes delay on a many hour trip isn't much difference anyway.
Most trucks are speed limited around 62-68mph, mostly the mega carriers. There was a move from FMCSA to mandate speed limiters on all CMV's. As of right now I believe that push is dead. The problem you experience is when a 65mph truck is trying to pass a 62 mph truck and then they hit a hill and lets say the slower truck is loaded lighter or has a bigger engine. He starts gaining on the faster truck and then the road levels out and the race is back on. Very frustrating for everyone involved.
http://fightingfortruckers.com/speedlimiters

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

1911 10MM wrote:On big dirfferance between speeding and impeding traffic is that general speeding does not affect the drivers around them whereby the self appointed speed monitor is affecting the 1 or more drivers trying to get around them. I find that those impeding traffic are doing it for their own selfish reasons and find enjoyment in seeing the 1 or more cars behind them. I think it gives the self appointed monitors a feeling of gratification and self importance.
Speaking of self appointed....... :roll:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”