E-bikes: anybody have one?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Re: E-bikes: anybody have one?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Chris wrote:If you do get one, research long and hard before you go off riding it. I've heard ACOE managed trails will not allow them.
Whether or not ACOE land is a non-starter due to firearms prohibitions aside, I posed this question on the Facebook page for RadRover bikes, and here was the most complete answer I got, from another member of that group:
The "No ebike" rules stem from the "no motorized vehicles" rule. And those rules stem from the "we dont want no loud stinkin trail bikes or ATVs on our trails."

When power assist bikes started appearing, the Federal agency that regulates such things came up with some definitions and said that power assisted electric bikes are to be considered bikes as long as they don't go over 20 mph. If they go over 20 mph then are considered motorized.

The problem is that this agency doesn't write laws so various municipalities can do what they want, and numerous municipalities, and in this case the Corp of Engineers, have done nothing to upgrade their rules and signs.

But as state above, most "front line" enforcers" like the rangers described above and in other threads on this subject, don't penalize Ebike riders as long as they are not pushing the envelope.

But that said... this is not a guarantee that all "front line enforcers" will do the same.

So in a sense, we are in something of a limbo until more specific laws and rules are passed.

Some Ebike riders have a copy of these federal regs on their smartphones. And some ebike riders are preparing to use the ADA as a justification. (Americans with Disabilities Act). That's what I plan to do. I'm 65 and out of shape. But with my EV I can wander 30 miles in any direction. Couldn't do that with a regular bike. Plus, the more I do it, the more I'm able to lower the PAS and thus get in better and healthier shape.
My new bike is throttle limited to 20 mph, so that's not a problem, but I don't know that one could successfully mount an ADA defense without a medical declaration of disability. I'm not convinced that my temporary handicapped parking placard applies, but even if it did, it expires in January 2018, so that's not a long term solution.

But as oljames3 pointed out, ACOE riding is a non-starter for me anyway, until they pull their heads out from their nether regions and take a deep cleansing breath of oxygen.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Txroadcyclist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Txroadcyclist »

As a former road cyclist and before that, bmx racer, I thought the e-bikes were interesting and even looked into buying one...until I saw the prices! You can buy a reliable used motorcycle for some e-bike price points, and I know, you don't get the fitness benefits on a motorcycle but how much exercise are you actually getting on an e-bike?
Buy a Honda Grom, you'll have a lot more smiles per mile and a little extra power to get you out of a spot. I don't sell Honda products and I don't own a Grom, I have a Kawasaki Versys, but after riding a Grom, it was a blast! :)

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

We got them!

I'm very impressed with the quality. The ride is comfy, and the power is pretty impressive.
Txroadcyclist wrote:As a former road cyclist and before that, bmx racer, I thought the e-bikes were interesting and even looked into buying one...until I saw the prices! You can buy a reliable used motorcycle for some e-bike price points, and I know, you don't get the fitness benefits on a motorcycle but how much exercise are you actually getting on an e-bike?
Buy a Honda Grom, you'll have a lot more smiles per mile and a little extra power to get you out of a spot. I don't sell Honda products and I don't own a Grom, I have a Kawasaki Versys, but after riding a Grom, it was a blast! :)
I used to road race super bikes, and have owned several motorcycles over the years. I didn't want another motorcycle, I wanted an e-bike. As far as exercise, you get exactly however much you ask for. You can ride the bike by pedaling alone, although it is a 60 lb bike, and those fat tires have a fair amount of rolling resistance, so pedaling alone is a LOT of work. But you can also pedal with the Pedal Assist mode, OR you can use the throttle. The Grom looks like a fun little motorcycle, but I didn't want a motorcycle, and I got TWO bicycles for the price of ONE Grom.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Rex B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rex B »

I have been looking at converting one of my old Trek bikes to electric power. A good hubmotor with wheel, plus the best battery available was going to run about $700. That still looks like the best option for me, as I am 6'3" and long of leg. My trek is sized accordingly. I don't see any frame sizes on the Radpower site that would suit me. That's a shame, because it looks like a lot of bike for the money.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Rex B wrote:I have been looking at converting one of my old Trek bikes to electric power. A good hubmotor with wheel, plus the best battery available was going to run about $700. That still looks like the best option for me, as I am 6'3" and long of leg. My trek is sized accordingly. I don't see any frame sizes on the Radpower site that would suit me. That's a shame, because it looks like a lot of bike for the money.
I don't know if this wold be helpful or not, but check out: https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/bicycle-kits

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Those are pretty sharp looking TAM. You said they're comfortable, but have you considered upgrading the seats to something more comfortable? Those small seats aren't all that friendly after we moved past 40 years of age.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Rex B wrote:I have been looking at converting one of my old Trek bikes to electric power. A good hubmotor with wheel, plus the best battery available was going to run about $700. That still looks like the best option for me, as I am 6'3" and long of leg. My trek is sized accordingly. I don't see any frame sizes on the Radpower site that would suit me. That's a shame, because it looks like a lot of bike for the money.
I don't know if this wold be helpful or not, but check out: https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/bicycle-kits
Those are a bit pricier than what I was looking at last Spring. I need to chase down those links again.
But your bikes look intriguing. I can see us ordering a couple of those, but I'm concerned about frame size. Is there anywhere local to DFW to look at one?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Rex B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Those are a bit pricier than what I was looking at last Spring. I need to chase down those links again.
But your bikes look intriguing. I can see us ordering a couple of those, but I'm concerned about frame size. Is there anywhere local to DFW to look at one?
Yes, my house. I actually joined the Facebook support group, which maintains a map of where prospective buyers can go to see one in person and maybe test ride it (owner willing). I'll PM you my deets.

#TINVOWOOT

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

So how do you transport these?
Doesn't look like you could throw them on your 2-bike hitch carrier.
-----------

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Rex B wrote:So how do you transport these?
Doesn't look like you could throw them on your 2-bike hitch carrier.
YouTube has videos on racks for fat bikes. I watched this one earlier today. The video's creator also makes parts for Rad Rover bikes, of which I've bought a few. He's a pretty nice guy:

This is a very expensive rack, but it looks really well made. But there are other cheaper racks that are reviewed on YouTube, which will accommodate fat-tired bikes.

Two of the best resources I've found so far are the forum on electrickbikereview.com, and then for Rad Power Bikes specific community, if you do the Facebook thing, the Rad Power eBikes Owners Group has been a source of a lot of good information.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Rex, it was a pleasure meeting you today! Let me know if you get a couple of these. Maybe the four of us can go on a "riding double date" or something.

#TINVOWOOT

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Enjoyed the visit, Chris. Thanks for the info and the test ride. Definitely interested, just need to work out the storage issues. We are seeking contractors for a new garage, so that may have to come first.
-----------

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

-----------

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Even with the assistance of "mechanical doping", I don't think I would make the daily stage time cut...... :deadhorse:
(if you don't finish each stage within a certain percentage of the daily stage winner's time, you are ELIMINATED)
(cut off time can be anywhere in the range of 104% to 125% depending on the stage type, difficulty, and average peleton speed)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

TAM, it's been almost 2 years since you got those e-bikes. Still happy with them? Any issues?
I'm back to "Real interested" and would like an update before I pull the trigger.
-----------

Return to “Off-Topic”