UT Monuments

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

UT Monuments

Post by Oldgringo »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... 4fde3a1363

At night, they started these cowardly moves under cover of darkness? Hook 'em, Horns, right?

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: UT Monuments

Post by WTR »

I told my sister (TU grad) that I would be ashamed to be a Longhorn today. They are a Liberal bastion of PC correct wussy cowards.....she agrees.

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WTR wrote:I told my sister (TU grad) that I would be ashamed to be a Longhorn today. They are a Liberal bastion of PC correct wussy cowards.....she agrees.
The lack of outrage to this clandestine and cowardly act is interesting to say the least. :headscratch

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I have also heard (haven't heard it verified yet) that in their rush to cleanse history from the campus, they erroneously removed a statue of former Governor Hogg, who was not a Confederate veteran as they believed him to be.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

RossA wrote:I have also heard (haven't heard it verified yet) that in their rush to cleanse history from the campus, they erroneously removed a statue of former Governor Hogg, who was not a Confederate veteran as they believed him to be.
They say Hogg will be reinstalled but at a different location. They claim his removal was intentional as he will be relocated.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Spoke to my Sis who lives in Austin. She says not has been made of the removals.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Received an email the other day from my Alma Mater (not UT) regarding a statue they removed from campus. I was a bit upset (/understatement) and wrote this letter to the University President.
So very disappointed to hear that XXXXXXX has capitulated to those seeking to impose their view of political correctness on the rest of us. Their violence and vandalism has won.

Even the tone of your email this morning was one of capitulation. "above all to express the deep and abiding values of our university". What values are you expressing by capitulating to vandals? That you are afraid to tackle political correctness head-on? The notion that university values are somehow diminished by displaying a statue is ludicrous. Washington and Jefferson were unabashed slave owners. Are you prepared to wipe them from the face of American history as well? I assure you that this fight is not about slavery, it's about political correctness run amok and those that would make excuses for it by admitting, in the hope of avoiding further bullying, that a statue somehow diminished university values.

Freedom isn't "safe". Sometimes it requires standing up to bullies, even when there is risk of physical danger. Your actions reinforce the tactics of violence and vandalism and will serve only to encourage those that would employ those tactics to do so again. Who will be the next target of their ire?

Here is a teachable moment for the university. You may have the mistaken impression that running from this fight will make it go away, but it won't. It'll be back in some other manifestation soon enough. Don't shrink from this fight and lean on "safety" or "values" as an excuse. Your actions make the university less safe by rewarding violence as a means of protest. Don't let the bullies win, it just encourages them.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

RoyGBiv wrote:Received an email the other day from my Alma Mater regarding a statue they removed from campus. I was a bit upset and wrote this letter to the University President.
So very disappointed to hear that XXXXXXX has capitulated to those seeking to impose their view of political correctness on the rest of us. Their violence and vandalism has won.

Even the tone of your email this morning was one of capitulation. "above all to express the deep and abiding values of our university". What values are you expressing by capitulating to vandals? That you are afraid to tackle political correctness head-on? The notion that university values are somehow diminished by displaying a statue is ludicrous. Washington and Jefferson were unabashed slave owners. Are you prepared to wipe them from the face of American history as well? I assure you that this fight is not about slavery, it's about political correctness run amok and those that would make excuses for it by admitting, in the hope of avoiding further bullying, that a statue somehow diminished university values.

Freedom isn't "safe". Sometimes it requires standing up to bullies, even when there is risk of physical danger. Your actions reinforce the tactics of violence and vandalism and will serve only to encourage those that would employ those tactics to do so again. Who will be the next target of their ire?

Here is a teachable moment for the university. You may have the mistaken impression that running from this fight will make it go away, but it won't. It'll be back in some other manifestation soon enough. Don't shrink from this fight and lean on "safety" or "values" as an excuse. Your actions make the university less safe by rewarding violence as a means of protest. Don't let the bullies win, it just encourages them.
:txflag:

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RoyGBiv wrote:Received an email the other day from my Alma Mater (not UT) regarding a statue they removed from campus. I was a bit upset (/understatement) and wrote this letter to the University President.

Very good letter! Cowards run from bullies.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

And by the way, if you are receiving information like that from your alma mater because you are a paying member of the alumni association, it might help to let them know that they have received the last dollar they will ever receive from you.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

WTR wrote:
RossA wrote:I have also heard (haven't heard it verified yet) that in their rush to cleanse history from the campus, they erroneously removed a statue of former Governor Hogg, who was not a Confederate veteran as they believed him to be.
They say Hogg will be reinstalled but at a different location. They claim his removal was intentional as he will be relocated.
Funny they just happened to do it along with all of the other "offensive" monuments.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Statues and Monuments offensive to Communists should be removed!:

https://cambriandissenters.blogspot.com ... o.html?m=1
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Received an email the other day from my Alma Mater (not UT) regarding a statue they removed from campus. I was a bit upset (/understatement) and wrote this letter to the University President.

:thewave :thewave
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I need to change my username here as I am no longer a UT Horns Fan. Ever since my MBA interview with them I have disliked the University. They were more concerned with how I was going to pay my tuition than the content between my ears.

Obviously they should be more concerned with the content between their own ears.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

WTR wrote:I told my sister (TU grad) that I would be ashamed to be a Longhorn today. They are a Liberal bastion of PC correct wussy cowards.....she agrees.
:iagree: and it is located in the San Francisco of Texas.

Return to “Off-Topic”