Gun Law Question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Law Question

Post by TreyHouston »

Interesting call conversation. Personally, if me, i would just give the dang thing back and tell her to get gone. Unless I was just board...... :yawn
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Maybe her new boyfriend has something to do with it... :biggrinjester:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

If you want to keep the gun, sounds as if it is yours to keep

If she wants it back, and you don't want to give it, she can take you to small claims courts, as unless she is saying you stole it, it's a civil matter
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:If this was her grandfather's rifle, passed down to her father, and then to her with his express wishes that it go on to her son / daughter someday, that is probably the other extreme.
This is the one example where I would give it back without hesitation.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

allisji

Post by allisji »

I assume that you have some knowledge of why she wants it back. After 6 years there has to be a reason that she so desperately wants it back. There are limitless options of why she may want it back but my mind first goes to alternative where she wants the rifle back because for some reason she feels she needs it for her own self-defense.

If this is the case and she is fearful of something or someone and wants that rifle as protection I would be inclined too give it back, however I would be careful to conduct the transfer at an FFL and do the NICS paperwork, because something may have happened that has made her a prohibited person.

After 6 years I would doubt that she would want the gun back just to give it to a new guy... unless it was a really really nice rifle. But if she does want it back just to give it to someone else, then I would personally probably still end up giving it back but transferring at FFL, however I wouldn't hold it against you if you elected to keep it.

If she wants it back because she's become a liberal anti-gun MDA lady and she wants to destroy it or something, then she can see me in court.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

I would give it to her and be done with it. You don't want this to escalate into something that could put your LTC in jeapordy.

flechero

Post by flechero »

go shoot all the ammo you have for it and then let her take possession at an ffl at her expense. That way you are clean, regardless of what she's done or not done in the last 6 years... and if you drop it off before she arrives, you may not even have to see her. :lol:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Welcome to the forum.

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/riffle
Definition of riffle. 1a : a shallow extending across a streambed and causing broken waterb : a stretch of water flowing over a riffle. 2 : a small wave or succession of small waves : ripple. ... 5 [1riffle] a : the act or process of shuffling something (such as a deck of cards)b : the sound made while doing this.
Is this thread about a riffle, or a rifle? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Didn't you sell that rifle and buy another one for yourself or trade it for something with someone?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

C-dub wrote:Didn't you sell that rifle and buy another one for yourself or trade it for something with someone?
I thought it was lost in a boating accident.....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Pariah3j wrote:IANAL but I like to pretend I play one on TV and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once :biggrinjester: From watching various legal TV programs and such - from what I understood, there are 2 types of gifts legally speaking. There is a conditional gift (ie an engagement ring, it is contingent on you getting married before the terms of the gift are fulfilled) and there are 'normal' gifts - these technically should have no strings attached to them, just because the person wanted you to have it - this would be christmas/birthday/etc type gifts. Now the case I saw where this was explained was not in Texas, and it had to do with an engagement ring.

Assuming she filled out the NICS form as it being a gift, it should be easy to prove it as such in a court of law. The other thing that I would think would play a part in court is, she gave you the gun 6 years ago, if she thought it was hers and not yours, why did she wait this long to try to take possession back?

But as others have asked, is the gun's value (sentimental wise or otherwise) worth it? Ex Gfs are like terrorists, best not to give into their demands usually, but it might be worth it in this case.
You don't say whether the firearm is a gift on the 4473, only that you are the actual buyer. Which if you are buying it to give away, you are! So the gun shop paperwork is not going to show anything about someone's ultimate intent for the firearm.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

SewTexas wrote:
C-dub wrote:Didn't you sell that rifle and buy another one for yourself or trade it for something with someone?
Funny and tempting, but the most defensible course is the truth. Document the transfer through an ffl, hopefully without being there at the same time she is.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
Funny and tempting, but the most defensible course is the truth. Document the transfer through an ffl, hopefully without being there at the same time she is.
My question was more of a suggestion of something that should be done rather than a lie that could be told.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

android

Post by android »

treadlightly wrote:
SewTexas wrote:

This is the way to go and will set a clear and definitive paper trail of ownership that protects you from any foolishness she may do with it and then try to pin something on you.

This is the kind of situation to be paranoid about.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”