CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Harvey, GRB in Houston No Guns

Post by locke_n_load »

From a post on facebook:

ABC 13 just showed Hurricane shelter at George R. Brown convention center with a sign : NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND with Houston Police checking people as they go in. Not a 30.06 facility if I'm not mistaken.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ScottDLS

Re: Harvey, GRB in Houston No Guns

Post by ScottDLS »

Maybe there's a 51% licensee selling liquor to the refugees.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

ScottDLS wrote:Maybe there's a 51% licensee selling liquor to the refugees.
i literally loled at that.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Tyrants gotta tyranny.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Would you expect Turner and Acevedo would do anything other than disobey the laws and impose their liberal anti-rights intent? Be assured if a Katrina situation occurs in Houston they won't hesitate to implement the disarming residents.
Last edited by puma guy on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I was teaching class this weekend in Austin at the Delco center.
There was at one point an unenforceable 30.06 sign at the parking lot entrance some months back. It was reported and came down one night never to be seen or talked about again.

Fast forward to this weekend, the site was designated a evacuation point. for those displaced...
Not many showed, the parling lot was maybe 1/5th full, and many of those police,. Red cross, Austin city vehicles.
On the way out of the parking lot after class I stopped to talk with the officer controlling inbound traffic (same guy that shook his head that morning when I answered his questions with I was neither volunteer nor evacuee but here to complete my motorcycle safety course in the lower parking lot)
He confirmed, that they were forbidding weapons from being brought into the building. People were told to leave them in the vehicles or not come in.

I will say the police presence in the parking lot likely mad it a very bad choice for smash and grab robbers, and the police presence inside the building likely ensured no serious attacks were going to happen .

Id still be disappointed and frustrated that I was being denied to keep my lawfully owned and carried personal weapons .. Legal as it may be, morally repugnant non the less.

To add insult to injury, no animals were allowed either.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Anybody remember seeing the pictures of the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:Anybody remember seeing the pictures of the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina?
Yes. Why?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Well, I was about to post a long, fire & brimstone broadside railing against the little Napoleons in the state who continue to seem to think they can do whatever they bloody well please, regardless of what the law says.

But then I realized that I would just be preaching to the choir here. So I won't do that.

For what it's worth, I will write my state congressman about putting some real teeth in the law. Doesn't seem like much, but it seems like that's about all I can do. The continuing situation sure is frustrating sometimes.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Get rid of Joe Strauss. Then a bunch of good people working on our behalf will have a much better chance of making things better for all of us.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

And so it begins, Houston may benefit from this tragedy:

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/burglar-sh ... n-harvery/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I saw this on the news. Behind the "no handguns or weapons" sign it appeared officers were checking people's bags so they would likely discover a legally concealed handgun. I thought about this because I would at least have a defensive handgun in a bug out bag if not on my person and if I were rescued with my BOB then I wouldn't have an option to take it back to any secure location. At that point I would suppose an officer doing his job would not admit me to GRB or take my handgun and it would be a good guess whether I'd ever get it back. I'm in Houston so this still might be a possibility.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

So, it's between shelter for your family or your 2A Right? Nice.

I noticed they're not supposed to be checking immigration status though, so that's nice.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

C-dub wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Anybody remember seeing the pictures of the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina?
Yes. Why?
I dunno'. I reckon I was thinking I wouldn't want to be in a mob like that even if I had a dozen guns. Would you?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Yes. Why?
I dunno'. I reckon I was thinking I wouldn't want to be in a mob like that even if I had a dozen guns. Would you?
Nope. :iagree:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”