ER nurse illegally detained?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ER nurse illegally detained?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That nurse is one of my new heroes. She is handling it EXACTLY the right way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

Payne and another officer are now on administrative leave and under criminal investigation.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/01/s ... s-patient/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

The video was released because Nurse Wubbles wasn't satisfied with the responce and apparent coverup from the SLC department. Probably a sincere apology, some swift punishment for both Payne and the Lt Would have saved the department some respect embarrassment and litigation. Most departments are afraid of the sunshine and openess and do themselves more damage covering up and nonresponse than they could with honesty and respect for those who have been wronged.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

The other item I might point out is the man was admitted to the hospital and a patient. He was their responsibility. Would they allow someone like this officer (even if he is trained) come in and conduct a medical procedure on one of their patients? If given the right orders/consent, I would expect them to do the blood draw. In addition, he was a burn patient who was in serious condition. It seems to me that interrupting his treatment for this is not in his best interest.

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 1911 10MM »

She should sue the department and those officers. I say officers because the one at the car door was basically doubling down on the original officers illegal arrest. He was still trying to explain to her why she was wrong when she was right. I can't fault the nurse for resisting because she was basically assaulted by the police officer. Just because you wear a badge doesn't give you the right to assault anyone or make you automatically right. A strong message needs to be sent that rogue police officers and their gestapo tactics will not be tollerated on innoncent US citizens. I don't care how long he has been on the force, he does not deserve to retire. His Mubarak way or the highway just doesn't cut it!

OlBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by OlBill »

You guys warm my heart. You're all fine Texans who really and truly get it.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I like TAM's closing comment on page 2 above. With the exception of that Mountain Meadow thing of yore, Mormons are a pretty loving and forgiving lot. Let's see what happens absent all of the legalistic jibber-jabber.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote: That nurse is one of my new heroes. She is handling it EXACTLY the right way.
Agreed. Good woman.

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

Definite arrest, not detained, in my opinion.

Question.
If she had resisted, then could she have been charged with resisting?
How can you be charged with resisting if it was not in fact an arrest?
It was an arrest.

This officer must be fired and prosecuted.
I support law enforcement whole heartedly, but this one is a bad apple.

What I really cannot understand is why the officer proceeded with the arrest after he was shown documentation from his own department.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flowrie wrote:What I really cannot understand is why the officer proceeded with the arrest after he was shown documentation from his own department.
Idiocy. Ego. Drain Bamage. Whatever you want to call it. The dude is a crapweazel.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

I was amazed when the "supervisor" argued with her and kept on with the same line the officer was using- "we need it" to do our job. Did anyone hear his comment - something like "you people are always doing this, asking for warrants" I guess there is a history of Police abuse in that town and no wonder the office is such a jack-wagon, he was trained by the sr. jack-wagon!

Hey, why not wake up the judge or get the electronic warrant? Would have taken less time than the video....

Every one of the LEO's on site should have been relieved of their duty.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

flechero wrote:
Hey, why not wake up the judge or get the electronic warrant? Would have taken less time than the video....
That would have been the proper way to handle it. If they wanted to pursue potential interference charges against the nurse, then they should have taken her info and then let the Prosecutors office decide if they had grounds or not. Arresting her did nothing to help get the blood draw done.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

flechero wrote:I was amazed when the "supervisor" argued with her and kept on with the same line the officer was using- "we need it" to do our job. Did anyone hear his comment - something like "you people are always doing this, asking for warrants" I guess there is a history of Police abuse in that town and no wonder the office is such a jack-wagon, he was trained by the sr. jack-wagon!

If you watch the 19 minute video one officer asks that very question. The one that arrested her says "They don't have PC."

This was an intended humbling as part of an ongoing issue between the PD and the hospital. Everything is in the long video.

The Lieutenant is now in hot water as well. As he should be.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

OlBill wrote:
flechero wrote:I was amazed when the "supervisor" argued with her and kept on with the same line the officer was using- "we need it" to do our job. Did anyone hear his comment - something like "you people are always doing this, asking for warrants" I guess there is a history of Police abuse in that town and no wonder the office is such a jack-wagon, he was trained by the sr. jack-wagon!

If you watch the 19 minute video one officer asks that very question. The one that arrested her says "They don't have PC."

This was an intended humbling as part of an ongoing issue between the PD and the hospital. Everything is in the long video.

The Lieutenant is now in hot water as well. As he should be.
It was also disturbing to me when he was telling her in effect if we're wrong we can clear it up through civil action. That would be so comforting to me if I was treated in the manner she was. That the PD is only now investigating and taking some action is evidence to me they were going to do nothing except take Payne off hospital duty and reacted only after the video came out. I hate this sort of thing because it gives those who dislike our police ammunition to criticize our men and women of law enforcement.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

puma guy wrote: It was also disturbing to me when he was telling her in effect if we're wrong we can clear it up through civil action. That would be so comforting to me if I was treated in the manner she was. That the PD is only now investigating and taking some action is evidence to me they were going to do nothing except take Payne off hospital duty and reacted only after the video came out. I hate this sort of thing because it gives those who dislike our police ammunition to criticize our men and women of law enforcement.
Good catch. Yes, that is disturbing.

How do you undo intimidation and humiliation?

My question always is, "How would the officer like it if somebody treated him that way in his house in front of his superiors, peers and the public?"

I'm a put the shoe on the other foot guy.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”