Oathkeepers Call to Action: Volunteers Needed to Protect Houston Disaster Relief Center and Relief Workers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Oathkeepers Call to Action: Volunteers Needed to Protect Houston Disaster Relief Center and Relief Workers

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.oathkeepers.org/call-action ... f-workers/
Disaster Relief Center Protection Detail in Texas

Oath Keepers and other patriots,

We need “quiet professionals” who can provide protection for relief workers and truckers who are bringing in critical disaster relief supplies to Houston, Texas. Oath Keepers has been asked to provide protection for a massive warehouse in Houston that is now being used as a major disaster relief hub and distribution center, with trucks running day and night to bring in relief and recovery supplies, which are then distributed out to those in need. The owner of the warehouse, Robert Erwin, of R2 Corporation, donated the use of his building to relief efforts, and then requested our help to keep the building and everyone in it safe.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RoyGBiv

Re: Oathkeepers Call to Action: Volunteers Needed to Protect Houston Disaster Relief Center and Relief Workers

Post by RoyGBiv »

Interesting.

For clarification.... they are looking for people experienced/trained in armed protection (and EMS).
As well as HAMs for communication.

Not the average Fudd like me (although I am a HAM).
SKILLSETS NEEDED:

We are looking for men with relevant military, police, or security training, such as:

Current serving or retired law enforcement. We have a crucial need for police officers to act as liaisons to local and federal LEO’s and also because of their many other skillsets which translate directly to nearly everything we are doing here.

Current serving or veteran military, especially infantry or other combat arms, military police, or others with Personal Security Detail, force protection or site security training and experience.

Experienced armed security professionals. Must be trained, safe, and competent with your weapon and equipment. And must have a solid understanding of the lawful use of force and the force continuum.

Above all, we want only cool, calm, steady men who will keep a cool head under pressure, and will interact well with many volunteers coming and going – quiet professionals. You WILL be vetted. If you have a CHL, please bring it. Please bring a copy of any training certs you have, or any other pertinent proof of training or status, if at all possible. Please make it easy for us to vett you and get you assigned to a team. If you are an Oath Keepers member, please bring your membership card if you have it. You DO NOT have to be a member to volunteer. We will take all qualified personnel. Please see the contact info below.

We can also still use:

Emergency medical personnel: EMTs, military medics and corpsmen, civilian paramedics, nurses, etc. However, please understand that our primary mission here at the warehouse is a fixed position defense/protection operation. If we have enough people, we may be able to send some out on relief missions to affected areas, but please don’t count on that. You would be needed to support and care for our people, and be prepared to deal with trauma just in case, and also to do some medical checks and first aid on disaster victims if you go out on a mission to affected areas (as our medics . Please bring whatever gear you have that you would need to work that mission.

Communications experts (HAM General class or above preferred, but a technical class HAM is also useful). Please bring extra radios if you have them.

TO VOLUNTEER CALL:

346-237-7527

Or email: la@oathkeepers.org

Any questions, please call or email.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas

Re: Oathkeepers Call to Action: Volunteers Needed to Protect Houston Disaster Relief Center and Relief Workers

Post by SewTexas »

wow....not sure what to say about this....

SKILLSETS NEEDED:

{big snip.......

Above all, we want only cool, calm, steady men who will keep a cool head under pressure, and will interact well with many volunteers coming and going – quiet professionals. You WILL be vetted. If you have a CHL, please bring it. Please bring a copy of any training certs you have, or any other pertinent proof of training or status, if at all possible. Please make it easy for us to vett you and get you assigned to a team. If you are an Oath Keepers member, please bring your membership card if you have it. You DO NOT have to be a member to volunteer. We will take all qualified personnel. Please see the contact info below.

{more snipping }
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bmwrdr »

I have no words, ... reading the original article my thought was the Fed's should send troops and clean the gang issue up!

"Unfortunately the warehouse is in an industrial complex that is surrounded by a residential area with a large gang presence, which is why we need skilled, qualified men and women to keep people safe here."
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

SewTexas wrote:wow....not sure what to say about this....

SKILLSETS NEEDED:

{big snip.......

{more snipping }
OK'ers have many women in the ranks. If that is what you meant. OK'ers is not a discriminatory org. :tiphat:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Remember folks, when serving in a security capacity, regardless what you call yourself, you are subject to the Texas Private Security Act (Chp. 1702, Tex. Occupations Code). Violation is a Class A misdemeanor. Providing "protection for relief workers and trucks" most definitely is serving a security function.

Chas.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

parabelum wrote:
SewTexas wrote:wow....not sure what to say about this....

SKILLSETS NEEDED:

{big snip.......

{more snipping }
OK'ers have many women in the ranks. If that is what you meant. OK'ers is not a discriminatory org. :tiphat:
I can only go by what it says....it says they want "men". I don't react to things, not even "seldom", but rarely, y'all know I don't, but that kinda jumped out.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Remember folks, when serving in a security capacity, regardless what you call yourself, you are subject to the Texas Private Security Act (Chp. 1702, Tex. Occupations Code). Violation is a Class A misdemeanor. Providing "protection for relief workers and trucks" most definitely is serving a security function.

Chas.
What about a HAM that happens to have an LTC?

:confused5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Remember folks, when serving in a security capacity, regardless what you call yourself, you are subject to the Texas Private Security Act (Chp. 1702, Tex. Occupations Code). Violation is a Class A misdemeanor. Providing "protection for relief workers and trucks" most definitely is serving a security function.

Chas.

LTC's and Hams are not exempt from the Private Security Act. I won't offer an opinion on the so-called First Responder aspect, but the relevant text from HB435 (2017) is set out below. The obvious question/risk is whether providing security services under the circumstances outlined in the Oathkeepers' request would provide a defense. I'd hate to see LTCs lose their licenses over a good faith attempt to help that resulted in a Class A misdemeanor conviction.

Chas.
HB435, Section 10 wrote:(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel" includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code, and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations. The term does not include a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer, as those terms are defined by Section 1701.001, Occupations Code, who is performing law enforcement duties.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

RoyGBiv wrote:

Chas.

If you're providing communication as a public service, I don't think there's anything prohibiting you from carrying concealed if you're not serving in a security capacity.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Chas.
Charles,

You are far better versed in this then I am, just to be sure that I understand the law however, I don't believe that one could be charged for what OK'ers are doing so long as there is no contractural agreement?

"Sec. 1702.102. SECURITY SERVICES CONTRACTOR LICENSE REQUIRED; SCOPE OF LICENSE. (a) Unless the person holds a license as a security services contractor, a person may not:
(1) act as an alarm systems company, armored car company, courier company, guard company, guard dog company, locksmith company, or private security consultant company;
(2) offer to perform the services of a company in Subdivision (1); or
(3) engage in business activity for which a license is required under this chapter.
(b) A person licensed only as a security services contractor may not conduct an investigation other than an investigation incidental to the loss, misappropriation, or concealment of property that the person has been engaged to protect."

"Sec. 1702.108. GUARD COMPANY. A person acts as a guard company for the purposes of this chapter if the person employs an individual described by Section 1702.323(d) or engages in the business of or undertakes to provide a private watchman, guard, or street patrol service on a contractual basis for another person to:
(1) prevent entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, fire, or trespass on private property;
(2) prevent, observe, or detect unauthorized activity on private property;
(3) control, regulate, or direct the movement of the public, whether by vehicle or otherwise, only to the extent and for the time directly and specifically required to ensure the protection of property;
(4) protect an individual from bodily harm including through the use of a personal protection officer; or
(5) perform a function similar to a function listed in this section."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... C.1702.htm

Now, I just bolded the "guard company" as others listed really are way off the scope.

To my knowledge, there is no contract for this, no payment etc. It is no different then me asking my neighbor to watch my property while I'm out of State. Maybe I am wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife.

By the way, glad you are doing well Charles. My prayers are with you and your family.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

parabelum wrote:

Chas.
Charles,

You are far better versed in this then I am, just to be sure that I understand the law however, I don't believe that one could be charged for what OK'ers are doing so long as there is no contractural agreement?

"Sec. 1702.102. SECURITY SERVICES CONTRACTOR LICENSE REQUIRED; SCOPE OF LICENSE. (a) Unless the person holds a license as a security services contractor, a person may not:
(1) act as an alarm systems company, armored car company, courier company, guard company, guard dog company, locksmith company, or private security consultant company;
(3) engage in business activity for which a license is required under this chapter.
(b) A person licensed only as a security services contractor may not conduct an investigation other than an investigation incidental to the loss, misappropriation, or concealment of property that the person has been engaged to protect."

"Sec. 1702.108. GUARD COMPANY. A person acts as a guard company for the purposes of this chapter if the person employs an individual described by Section 1702.323(d) or engages in the business of or undertakes to provide a private watchman, guard, or street patrol service on a contractual basis for another person to:
(1) prevent entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, fire, or trespass on private property;
(3) control, regulate, or direct the movement of the public, whether by vehicle or otherwise, only to the extent and for the time directly and specifically required to ensure the protection of property;
(4) protect an individual from bodily harm including through the use of a personal protection officer; or

Now, I just bolded the "guard company" as others listed really are way off the scope.

To my knowledge, there is no contract for this, no payment etc. It is no different then me asking my neighbor to watch my property while I'm out of State. Maybe I am wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife.

By the way, glad you are doing well Charles. My prayers are with you and your family.
If you were correct, then there would have been no need to address the volunteer security provision for churches in this past legislative session. Whether contracted or not, providing security in this respect could run afoul of the OC. Especially since OK asked for people specifically for security.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

parabelum wrote:

Chas.
Charles,

The Code provisions you quoted deal with security companies and the required company license, not the requirement of a license for an individual to act in a security capacity. As Flightmare noted, the volunteer church security bill would not have been necessary, if the existence of a contract were the controlling issue.

I have quoted a page from the DPS website concerning SB2065. It correctly states that the exemption from the Private Security Act applies only to 1) volunteers; 2) serving at a church; and 3) not wearing a uniform or badge that uses the term "security" or otherwise gives the impression that one is a security officer or peace officer. We fought for this very narrow exception for three sessions and it was a hard fought battle. It would not have been necessary had we simply been able to state "we don't have a contract." Also quoted below is Occupations Code §1702.3875 establishing an offense for impersonating a security officer.

Chas.
DPS Re: volunteer security personnel wrote:Sept. 1, 2017
Senate Bill 2065 (85th Leg., R.S.) exempts a person from the requirement to be registered or licensed under the Private Security Act (Occ. Code Chap. 1702) when providing volunteer security services on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship. The individuals providing such services may not wear a uniform or otherwise give the impression that they are peace officers, personal protection officers, or security officers. Should the individuals wear a uniform or any apparel containing the word “security”, or any other items or apparel that gives the impression they are security officers or personal protection officers, they would be subject to the licensing requirements of the Private Security Act.
Occupations Code §1702.3875 wrote:Sec. 1702.3875. IMPERSONATING SECURITY OFFICER; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) impersonates a commissioned or noncommissioned security officer with the intent to induce another to submit to the person's pretended authority or to rely on the person's pretended acts of a security officer; or

(2) knowingly purports to exercise any function that requires registration as a noncommissioned security officer or a security officer commission.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank you for the explanation Charles.

To quote Plato, "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

It just amazes me still how good people, whether at Church or at this OK'ers attempt to help, are relentlessly at mercy of those who spend their days in this life with a mission to create stumbling blocks for good and honest people just trying to help. Mind you, good number of folks down there are actually active LE or EMS and what appears to be the fact that under current law they are subject to class A boggles a reasonable mind.

Thank you for pointing it out and for fighting the good fight, your work is not unnoticed.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

"I'm from the government and I'm here to take your earnings in taxes, fees and forced purchase of health insurance, while obstructing your pursuit of life, liberty and happiness."
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Off-Topic”