Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cheezit
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Post by cheezit »

Flightmare wrote:I've been having fun listening to the repeaters near me. Bought a mobile rig earlier; Yaesu FT-8900R. Need to figure out an antenna setup that'll work with my truck and the garage. I couldn't use the factory radio antenna on the truck because it kept hitting the garage door when I'd pull in and out of the garage. This should be fun.
Breedlove stake pocket mount may be a good option.

MustangGlocker
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MustangGlocker »

Since there are getting to be so many new hams on here, I thought I would repost this info. It's a good list to get started with if you are in the DFW Metromess. Also, if you are up in the DFW area, we can always use more storm spotters. Check at this link toward the end of the year for the updated spotter schedule for North Texas. http://www.weather.gov/fwd/skywarnsch?sptrsch.

There is also info at http://www.wx5fwd.org. This is the site for the radio operators that work at the National Weather Service office in Fort Worth during severe weather events.

MustangGlocker wrote:If you radio isn't programmed, probably the best frequencies/repeaters to program initially is the area Skywarn frequencies that are used for severe weather reporting. They are the main frequencies for the particular county/city so they are always being used.
Dallas- 146.880(https://w5fc.org/)
Irving- 146.720(http://irvingarc.org/)
Tarrant 146.940
Arlington-147.140(http://www.k5sld.com)
Denton-146.920(http://dcara.net/index.php)
Collin-147.180(http://www.k5prk.net)
Ellis-145.410(http://www.wd5ddh.org/)

There is also a wide area network of repeaters, http://www.nctc.info. This group covers west to Abilene/Eastland and east to Sulphur Springs. It also can be linked to another group and covers portion of Arkansas and Louisiana. These are on a different frequency band, but I believe your radio is a dual band so these should work. They have several frequencies but since they are all linked together, you don't need all programmed. Here are 2 closest to you. Arlington is likely your best bet. It's a very wide coverage repeater.

Arlington-443.850
Plano-444.175
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 2farnorth »

cheezit wrote:
Flightmare wrote:I've been having fun listening to the repeaters near me. Bought a mobile rig earlier; Yaesu FT-8900R. Need to figure out an antenna setup that'll work with my truck and the garage. I couldn't use the factory radio antenna on the truck because it kept hitting the garage door when I'd pull in and out of the garage. This should be fun.
Breedlove stake pocket mount may be a good option.
As mentioned above or get a magnet mount antenna that you can just remove easily. Bear in mind that the antenna needs to be tuned to the primary frequency (or mid band). An SWR meter capable of the bands you operate on is a necessity . Your radio will last much longer with it's proper use.
N5PNZ

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

Passed the Technician's test last Saturday. Got my call sign from the FCC at 1 AM last night.

Now I just need UPS to deliver my HT radio so I can start listening and plotting my first transmission. Delayed yesterday for weather, of course, but says it's out for delivery today. Not sure I believe them. :waiting:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott B. wrote:Passed the Technician's test last Saturday. Got my call sign from the FCC at 1 AM last night.

Now I just need UPS to deliver my HT radio so I can start listening and plotting my first transmission. Delayed yesterday for weather, of course, but says it's out for delivery today. Not sure I believe them. :waiting:
Congratulations Scott! Where did you take the exam? I have some folks that may need to find one on the 3rd Saturday.

Chas.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

At the Charles R. Hooks Education Center in Spring. I needed a little extra motivation to buckle down, so I attended a class run by Keith Dutson NM5G and Skip Ferguson K5LLR the week before the test and did a review session day of the test.

I know they also do some testing at Tomball Regional Hospital. At the Hooks center they're doing some CW classes but I didn't see another license testing session on the calendar. I may have to go down to TranStar to take the general/extra.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Scott B. wrote:At the Charles R. Hooks Education Center in Spring. I needed a little extra motivation to buckle down, so I attended a class run by Keith Dutson NM5G and Skip Ferguson K5LLR the week before the test and did a review session day of the test.

I know they also do some testing at Tomball Regional Hospital. At the Hooks center they're doing some CW classes but I didn't see another license testing session on the calendar. I may have to go down to TranStar to take the general/extra.
Thanks, I'll let my folks know. They live in League City, but they have a schedule conflict for CLARC at NASA on the 2nd Saturday. A friend and I taught a 1.5 day Technician Class course on the 18th and 19th, but I'll post that in a separate thread rather than hijack this one.

Chas.

relocker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by relocker »

I just received my call sign, as well. Passed elements 2 and 3 and qualified for General class. Two for the price of one!

Charles, the Katy ARS hosts their VE sessions every third Saturday in Katy. All the info is on their website, which is easy enough to find with Google.

Regards,
Kevin

Edited to correct typo

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

:hurry: Just upgraded to General License ...yay me!
John
KF5ZMD

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Flightmare »

mojohn wrote::hurry: Just upgraded to General License ...yay me!
John
KF5ZMD
Congratulations!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

John
KF5ZMD
Congratulations!

Chas.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 2farnorth »

John
KF5ZMD
Congrats. Will be looking for you on the airwaves. Now that I have an old partially operational HF rig I'm finding 40 meters has become my favorite band.

Dave
N5PNZ
N5PNZ

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

2farnorth wrote:Congrats. Will be looking for you on the airwaves. Now that I have an old partially operational HF rig I'm finding 40 meters has become my favorite band.

Dave
N5PNZ

Thanks!
I'll probably get a HF rig at the Belton Hamfest in a few weeks.

John
KF5ZMD

BeeKeith
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BeeKeith »

After over 33 years with a company when they decided to close up and move 1/2 way across the U.S., whadda' ya' do? For me? Start the business I've been wanting to..... And for a little mental therapy, Get a ham license. Ordered Tech and General from ARRL and began studying a little at a time. Once I was sure I could pass Tech, I peaked in the General book and was a little intimidated. But with nothing to lose, I took it on like you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. When I was sure of passing General, the Extra book was ordered. Long story short, ( studying a few minutes a day for 9 months ) I went to Latourneau University in Longview and "grand slammed" it. Passed all 3 in one sitting. LETARC VE team are a great bunch of folks. That was on the 16th, the wait for the FCC posting continues. Now I need a "Go Fund Me" page started. Lol. Business is started, just not profitable yet.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Flightmare »

BeeKeith wrote:After over 33 years with a company when they decided to close up and move 1/2 way across the U.S., whadda' ya' do? For me? Start the business I've been wanting to..... And for a little mental therapy, Get a ham license. Ordered Tech and General from ARRL and began studying a little at a time. Once I was sure I could pass Tech, I peaked in the General book and was a little intimidated. But with nothing to lose, I took it on like you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. When I was sure of passing General, the Extra book was ordered. Long story short, ( studying a few minutes a day for 9 months ) I went to Latourneau University in Longview and "grand slammed" it. Passed all 3 in one sitting. LETARC VE team are a great bunch of folks. That was on the 16th, the wait for the FCC posting continues. Now I need a "Go Fund Me" page started. Lol. Business is started, just not profitable yet.
Congratulations on getting your license. I took my time between the exams to make sure I could pass them. I didn't feel confident in my ability to retain that much information for all 3 tests at once. Kudos to you for being able to do that! Maybe I'll hear you on the air sometime!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Off-Topic”