Application w/ Misdemeanor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dcunnin2
Posts in topic: 1

Application w/ Misdemeanor

Post by dcunnin2 »

Alright, I hope someone can shed a little insight. I have looked all over, but no one has asked this question.

Well, before we all jump to judgement, 7 years ago (when I was 21) I received a ticket for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia (a rolling paper). Any who, that was my only run in with the law... ever... The legal system takes forever, so it was not until Sept 2012 that I was finally convicted. They were two class B misdemeanors.

Question is, do you know if that counts as two "dependent" related convictions? Or is it just one with two charges? Reason being, I would like to get my CHL and I know that I am not disqualified due to the timeframe of my charges (it is now just over 5 years), but would this not count as one charge? I would find it really silly if they would put them both together.. I was in college for goodness sakes.

Thanks in advance for looking at this for me!

-David

RPBrown

Re: Application w/ Misdemeanor

Post by RPBrown »

First, welcome to the forum.
Second, IANAL. If it were me, I think I would get a copy of the court records to see how it was charged. You will need it to send in with your application anyway.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

infoman

Post by infoman »

The "chemical dependency" thing is only for DWI/DUI's. Your good as long as it's been over 5 years from your conviction date. (Date of disposition)

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:The "chemical dependency" thing is only for DWI/DUI's. Your good as long as it's been over 5 years from your conviction date. (Date of disposition)
That makes sense if you think about it....a possession misdemeanor doesn’t mean you have ever used / drank. It just means you had some on you. DWI on the other hand means you were either high or drunk. :shock: :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

ScottDLS wrote:
infoman wrote:The "chemical dependency" thing is only for DWI/DUI's. Your good as long as it's been over 5 years from your conviction date. (Date of disposition)
That makes sense if you think about it....a possession misdemeanor doesn’t mean you have ever used / drank. It just means you had some on you.
:iagree:
They could be drug dealers who need to carry because they are at high risk of robbery running a cash business.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

BBYC wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
That makes sense if you think about it....a possession misdemeanor doesn’t mean you have ever used / drank. It just means you had some on you.
They could be drug dealers who need to carry because they are at high risk of robbery running a cash business.
If you were dealing, you would not get a misdemeanor charge. However, you CAN get charged even if it's not yours if it is in the vehicle with you but belongs to someone else.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:
BBYC wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
If you were dealing, you would not get a misdemeanor charge. However, you CAN get charged even if it's not yours if it is in the vehicle with you but belongs to someone else.
You might get a felony charge, but if you get a good attorney you ought to be able to get out with a class b. The paraphernalia charge is a dead giveaway that it’s a minor bust. No self respecting cop is going to throw that on a kilo bust... :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”