Home Security Cameras.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Home Security Cameras.

Post by ELB »

Yes, lock it in the A/C closet (and I think I will steal that idea myself). Then take on old computer you're not using anymore and set up a bait computer labeled "sec cam" or some such for the burglar to find so he won't go looking for the real one.
USAF 1982-2005

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johncanfield »

I have about 13 IP cams (all POE) since I need to cover the house, shop, and two other outbuildings on our small ranch. They are all monitored by Synology Survillance Station running on a Synology network file server. All motion detection is set up in the Survillance Station and every hour all recorded video is archived to another Synology file server in a different building. When I run out of storage space on the primary file server it will write over the old recorded video. The disadvantage of Survillance Station is the cost - you can monitor two cams for free but then you pay. I bought an eight pack license for $400 :grumble
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

ELB

Post by ELB »

I went to check on the Arlo cameras mentioned a couple times upthread. Recent (two days ago) article: https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-a ... 2/preview/
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Post by nightmare69 »

ELB wrote:I went to check on the Arlo cameras mentioned a couple times upthread. Recent (two days ago) article: https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-a ... 2/preview/
I know a friend with those cameras. He likes them but the price is the biggest drawback for me. Plus having to charge batteries and it draining my WiFi. It’s definitely easier to install for those that don’t wanna run wires and drill holes.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

rentz

Post by rentz »

bmwrdr wrote:Good info from fellow board members, thanks for sharing.
I am currently developing my own solution with wired IP based cameras powered of a PoE switch and a mini PC with a customized Linux OS. My plan is to use a local hard disk and a shadow copy of pictures for a 7 day history. All automated via Perl or Shell scripts and notification via e-mail. Wether or not I open a port to my firewall needs To be determined at a later point.
I decided to use PoE to ensure uptime and to avoid battery maintenance for the cameras.
The hardest part is to retrofit the CAT5 cables in my home.
At this point I do not have a price point but it won't be as cheap as other solutions. My goal is to avoid any monthly charges to a provider, it has to be near bullet proof and the system has to be "hacker proof" as well.
I'll start a new post with a priceline for my solution once I am finished but it will take a while.
this has been my plan as well...for about 2yrs and I haven't done it yet :smilelol5:

I did try some of the wireless solutions and i found the picture sub-par and the motion sensing far too slow.
best performance will be POE cameras and only needs a single wire, hard parts finding a termination point for the NVR box.

From my basic research it gets expensive very fast if you want quality cameras

ELB

Post by ELB »

nightmare69 wrote:
ELB wrote:I went to check on the Arlo cameras mentioned a couple times upthread. Recent (two days ago) article: https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-a ... 2/preview/
I know a friend with those cameras. He likes them but the price is the biggest drawback for me. Plus having to charge batteries and it draining my WiFi. It’s definitely easier to install for those that don’t wanna run wires and drill holes.
Yes the price made me say "let's look around some more..."
USAF 1982-2005

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

rentz wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:Good info from fellow board members, thanks for sharing.
I am currently developing my own solution with wired IP based cameras powered of a PoE switch and a mini PC with a customized Linux OS. My plan is to use a local hard disk and a shadow copy of pictures for a 7 day history. All automated via Perl or Shell scripts and notification via e-mail. Wether or not I open a port to my firewall needs To be determined at a later point.
I decided to use PoE to ensure uptime and to avoid battery maintenance for the cameras.
The hardest part is to retrofit the CAT5 cables in my home.
At this point I do not have a price point but it won't be as cheap as other solutions. My goal is to avoid any monthly charges to a provider, it has to be near bullet proof and the system has to be "hacker proof" as well.
I'll start a new post with a priceline for my solution once I am finished but it will take a while.
this has been my plan as well...for about 2yrs and I haven't done it yet :smilelol5:

I did try some of the wireless solutions and i found the picture sub-par and the motion sensing far too slow.
best performance will be POE cameras and only needs a single wire, hard parts finding a termination point for the NVR box.

From my basic research it gets expensive very fast if you want quality cameras
That's right, the cameras are the expensive part. The video recording can be configured via ftp in most cameras. I am thinking about permanent recording to have a history of obe month and only notify via e-mail on events triggered by the motion sensor.
Opening the firewall for a live stream creates a security risk and is not a real useful feature anyway. Besides watching the burglar while he is at it while you are out of town it is of no help. The e-mail notification with a series of pictures attached is more useful.
So far I have tested several cameras and narrowed it down to a Linksys and a Zyxel camera, both are overkill in terms of featyres but the picture quality is great.
I will look around a bit more and if I find something useful at a budget price I'll post it on the forum.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I pulled the trigger and got the cameras I wanted at Sam's today. They were on sale and decided to get them before it ended on the 20th. Install was strait forward, took me about 3.5hrs taking plenty of breaks. I got the app on my phone and got everything working. I just need to fine tune the positioning tomorrow and get a longer ethernet cord. Im eager to see what they look like in the daytime. Night time they look good and Im pleased how clear they are with little to no light.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

If you self install poe systems. I imagine it is like installing your own computer lan. Buy a spindle of cat5 or cat6, a box of rj45's, and the stripper/crimping tool. You need smaller holes, and you can get the cables just the length you need.
NRA Benefactor Member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Jago668 wrote:If you self install poe systems. I imagine it is like installing your own computer lan. Buy a spindle of cat5 or cat6, a box of rj45's, and the stripper/crimping tool. You need smaller holes, and you can get the cables just the length you need.
Definitely this! While I've worked in IT my whole career, I'd never been a cabling guy. Finally decided I needed to add that to my skill set, and it was a pretty straightforward thing to learn. Definitely worthwhile thing to learn.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Jago668 wrote:If you self install poe systems. I imagine it is like installing your own computer lan. Buy a spindle of cat5 or cat6, a box of rj45's, and the stripper/crimping tool. You need smaller holes, and you can get the cables just the length you need.
I went out and bought a 100' cat5 cord. Only issue Im having is getting the motion detection working to be able to go back and view "events". I may have to call tech support as I see no option to activate it. I want to get a couple more cameras and they go for $50 per on Ebay with cords. Overall Im pleased with the set-up for under $300.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

sf340b

Post by sf340b »

My brother owns #1 Security Services and installs these all the time. For those clients with vulnerability he has had cages made for the DVR. Cages similar to jails bolted down and out of sight.

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

Another option if you don’t want to do IP, is HD-TVI, which runs over Siamese coax. Downside is that you have to wire up a power panel, the upside is that the cameras are usually a lot cheaper. Monoprice even sells them now. TVI is also compatible with old analog cameras, so if you have an older system you can reuse those old cameras.

curryman

Post by curryman »

Good luck with that. The only thing my system has done for me is watching people steal my stuff. Just got home from a 20 work day, details later.

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

curryman wrote:Good luck with that. The only thing my system has done for me is watching people steal my stuff. Just got home from a 20 work day, details later.
A lot of the newer systems can send push notifications if it detects movement.

Return to “Off-Topic”