Really Ticked Off

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bryan007
Posts in topic: 3

Really Ticked Off

Post by Bryan007 »

To make a long story short I have been fighting my CHL license for the last 2 years. So far I have gone to a JP Court where my case was not even heard since the Judge was falling a sleep during arguments so they ruled for DPS. I filled an appeal in County court where the state ruled on my behalf and the Judge even told the Attorney for the state that she was wrong with her filling, but the fight goes on. So the state filled for a new trial in county court since they lost and it was denied by the Judge. Now the state moved my case to the court of appeals in Harris County, the fight still continues.

I was charged with a simple assault and plead guilty to a simple assault at the advice of my attorney 4 years ago. The state is trying to misinterpret the law and say that I was convicted of a Domestic Violence charge which I was not.

Has anyone else had to go though all of this bull with DPS?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Really Ticked Off

Post by mojo84 »

What is your relationship to the person you plead guilty to assaulting?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Bryan007

Post by Bryan007 »

The altercation was with my Wife at the time.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bryan007 wrote:The altercation was with my Wife at the time.
Not to be unsympathetic, but this is why they are pursuing it the way they are. If other courts have ruled in your favor, it may be that your only recourse is to to keeps spending lawyer money until it gets to the state Supreme Court, where you can get an untouchable ruling in your favor. Only you can decide if your license is worth that expense.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Bryan007

Post by Bryan007 »

I appreciate the comment and yes it will probably make it to the Supreme Court level. A simple Assault and a Domestic Violence Assault are totally different convictions according to my Attorney and hold different consequences.

My attorney is taken care of financially and said he will fight this one till the end.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

So you pleaded guilty to assault by contact? It’s a class C misdemeanor. Assault family violence is a entire different animal.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Either DPS and some judges are wrong thinking assaulting a family member is "family violence" according to the meanings assigned by Chapter 71, Family Code, or somebody on the internet is wrong.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

tool4daman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tool4daman »

I'm no lawyer, but in order for that to be considered to be domestic violence, doesn't the judge have to enter into the judgement a finding of domestic violence? Without that finding of domestic violence in the court order, it is my understanding that it is not domestic violence.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In the mean time, can Bryan007 carry in his vehicle per the MPA even with his past charge or is this too verboten given his past legal problem?

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Im assuming you pleaded guilty to a class C assault to avoid trial from the DA. What is jamming you up is the victim in this case was your wife.

Were you arrested the night of the assault? What was the original charge you were accused of?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

If you were convicted or placed on deferred adjudication for an offense under Title 5 of the Texas statutes, there must be an affirmative finding of domestic violence in the sentencing in order for this to be considered domestic violence. So the bottom line is under what statute were you ultimately charged/sentenced for? It doesn't matter what you were originally arrested for, or who the victim was as long as you were sentenced under a Title 5 statute.

Check this out:
http://www.txcourts.gov/media/478296/chapter10.pdf
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Maybe some people are confused about the difference between the Federal restriction (the loot and burn amendment) and Texas LTC eligibility requirements.
"hic sunt dracones"

infoman
Posts in topic: 11

Post by infoman »

A simple assault and/or assault by contact, ARE disqualifying if you were convicted of either (even if just a Misdemaemor C) if the victim was your spouse- in this case your wife at the time. So, sounds like you are permanently ineligible, & should be.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm at a loss on this one. How is an assault on one's spouse not domestic violence? Isn't that the very definition of domestic violence or at least one of the definitions?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:A simple assault and/or assault by contact, ARE disqualifying if you were convicted of either (even if just a Misdemaemor C) if the victim was your spouse- in this case your wife at the time. So, sounds like you are permanently ineligible, & should be.
No misdemeanor "should" be permanently disqualifying and it is generally up to the state to determine what crimes qualify as domestic "violence". There are some Federal guidelines too, but it doesn't sound like these are in play. It seems that the state is not following their own guidelines despite the county judges' orders to do so. Of course we're not privy to all the facts but certainly seems like OP is being railroaded.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”