WWB failures

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

WWB failures

Post by skeathley »

Beware of Winchester White Box ammo. I knew it was lame, but last week a student in my class had two squibs in 10 minutes. Luckily, he knew something went wrong, so he did not fire again and ruin his barrel.

This was a bulk package from Cabela's, so probably even lower quality than usual.

My guess is that the students most likely to buy WWB are also least likely to recognize a squib if it happens.

:mad5
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Teamless

Re: WWB failures

Post by Teamless »

I have shot thousands of WWB 9mm, and had 1 or 2 light strikes.
I do hear people at times commenting something similar to what you say, but over millions and millions of rounds made, while perfection would be great, having less than .00001% (and that’s probably a bit of an understatement) failure is still really good
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's pretty much all I ever run through my handguns for years. (these days its WWB NATO) Thousands of rounds, never a single issue. All the same there seems to be an issue with this particular lot.I hope that OLIN is contacted with the lot numbers and information on what happened.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Teamless wrote:I have shot thousands of WWB 9mm, and had 1 or 2 light strikes.
I do hear people at times commenting something similar to what you say, but over millions and millions of rounds made, while perfection would be great, having less than .00001% (and that’s probably a bit of an understatement) failure is still really good
:iagree: I used WWB 9 mm many times and haven't had a single issue. It is odd that one boox contained 2 bad rounds. The only plausible cause coming to my mind is the fact that tools wear out over time and that applies to any mechanical part which in turn can cause tolerances in the manufactured ammo.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I had 5 light primer strikes one day in a shield 9mm a friend of mine let my try out but I discovered afterwords that he had not cleaned the gun in over a year and carried it daily and lent and other boogery stuff had gotten in the striker and slowed it down. Once cleaned the issue resolved. And those 5 were out of 15 rounds so I knew it had to be the gun and you could tell on the primer it wasn’t hit hard enough.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

Liberty wrote:It's pretty much all I ever run through my handguns for years. (these days its WWB NATO) Thousands of rounds, never a single issue.
:iagree:

Pretty much all I ever use on the range and what I recommend to students who ask for recommendations. I've never had an issue.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

I cannot remember ever having an issue with WWB and like others, I have put several thousand rounds down range. I did see a guy at the gun show a year or so ago that had reloads in a WWB box as well as some in Remington and Federal boxes. I can't say that he was trying to pass them off as new but looking at the individual rounds, they were not very good reloads. I never spoke to the guy and once I opened a box and looked at them, I closed it up and kept walking.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

I ran 100 rounds of 230gr WWB through my XDs yesterday with no issues.

flechero

Post by flechero »

skeathley wrote:two squibs in 10 minutes
The guy whose job it is to fill the powder hoppers probably had a potty break at the wrong time! :shock:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I've fired over 300 rounds of 9mm 115 grain full metal jacket Winchester White Box over the past 2 weekends without issue. I'm carrying WWB jacketed hollow point self defense rounds right now. WWB has been my ammo of choice sense I bought my first privately owned pistol in 2013.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I've had issues with WWB in pistols with tight tolerances, especially 45ACP. I haven't had issues in loose or production grade guns in any caliber.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have never had a squib with any ammo and I pretty much buy them all.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

WWB is all I ever practice with for my .45 and it used to be all I practiced with in 9mm. Never had an issue with it. *shrug* Mistakes happen, so bad lots happen.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Hack Job
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hack Job »

I just had a Winchester Target 5.56 quality escape. Inconsistent primers and headstamps and 1 inverted/crushed primer.
I can understand a single bad primer. But the mismatched primers and headstamps is surprising. Walmart reluctantly exchanged for a new box.

Edit: corrected ammo type
Last edited by Hack Job on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Hack Job wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am It's not WWB,
Why do you say this then show pictures of WWB?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Instructors' Corner”