TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Post by ELB »

allisji wrote:Now Fox is reporting that Devin Kelley had once in 2012 escaped from a Psych Hospital and had smuggled guns onto Holloman AFB to carry out death threats against military superiors! This information was supposedly entered into the NCIC database?!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/07/te ... force.html
The mental health facility he escaped from seems to be a private entity, but mentions treating military on its web page. I'm guessing it has a contract with the USAF or DoD. Going by this article and another one I read some place, it appears when he took off the facility notified civilian police in NM and/or TX, and the Texas cops found him, gave him to the NM police, who returned him to the facility. This seemed to have happened fairly quickly, he wasn't on the run for weeks. Maybe just a day or two.

So given all the other SNAFUs in this guy's history, I wonder if the facility ever reported to the USAF that he escaped? That's a detail I would run down if I were a reporter, or the investigator assigned by Mattis looking into how this guy never got entered into the NICS and all that.
USAF 1982-2005

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by powerboatr »

SQLGeek wrote:
Ruark wrote:This gem, from the CNN article above:
  • "In some states, a background check can be run fairly quickly through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). However, Texas is not one of these states, so firearms dealers are required to contact the FBI directly for all firearm background checks."
Where in the world do they come up with this stuff? :headscratch
because they assume we are a separate country ?? been straighten folks out on twitter all day.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

flechero wrote:
5thGenTexan wrote: On another note, Saw the Dallas Bishop has asked that parish 30.06 30.07 signs to be taken down but keep banning guns
That makes no sense. So he wants BG's to THINK it's not a soft target but still wants it to BE a soft target. WTH? :headscratch
In light of this tragic event, Bishop Edward J. Burns has asked that parishes in the Diocese of Dallas consider appropriate safety measures, including the removal of all signs prohibiting the concealed carry of firearms on campus to eliminate any perception that any of our parishes would be an easy target for terror. But let us be clear, the policy of prohibiting the open or concealed possession of firearms at our parishes still stands.
You can't make this stuff up.
IANAL but, I would think this open admission of recognized but unsecured/unprotected danger to parishioners would establish papal liability in the event of......well, you know?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

NotRPB wrote:2 related articles
Ted Cruz reveals how Democrats FILIBUSTERED legislation that would have forced the Air Force to update NCIC

Read more: http://therightscoop.com/ted-cruz-revea ... z4xmOd3umH
John Cornyn announces plan for legislation on background checks after Texas shooting
After a gunman killed at least 26 people at a Texas church, Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) on Nov. 7 said “there’s an opportunity for us here to work on a bipartisan basis” on legislation to improve the enforcement of background checks. https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/po ... 80813d05d8
John Cornyn is another sterling example of the immediate need for TERM LIMITS.

allisji
Posts in topic: 8

Post by allisji »

Oldgringo wrote:
John Cornyn is another sterling example of the immediate need for TERM LIMITS.
Winning the VA governorship tonight could help us on the way to getting a constitutional convention, to ratify an amendment for congressional term limits. Or at least would indicate a shift in the right direction toward having a sufficient majority of state governments on board.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

Maybe it's just me, but are our representatives aware of the "black market"? It seems like they all either forget or omit the fact that everything the government has regulated, or deemed illegal, is very easily accessible through the black market. Do they think that "Billy Criminal" is going to conduct a background check when he sells a stolen gun to "Johnnie Criminal" if they enacted universal background checks?

allisji
Posts in topic: 8

Post by allisji »

jb2012 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but are our representatives aware of the "black market"? They practically own the black market

It seems like they all either forget or omit the fact that everything the government has regulated, or deemed illegal, is very easily accessible through the black market.

Do they think that "Billy Criminal" is going to conduct a background check when he sells a stolen gun to "Johnnie Criminal" if they enacted universal background checks? They want background checks to fail so that they can move along to the next big thing in gun control
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 12

Post by philip964 »

Violating existing gun laws apparently is not a big deal to most governments. Extremely low prosecution rates even in states like California.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

philip964 wrote:Violating existing gun laws apparently is not a big deal to most governments. Extremely low prosecution rates even in states like California.
I saw some statistics today, but don't remember where I saw them (been doing a lot of reading today) and they amount of gun crime in California (not to mention the rest of the US) that goes unprosecuted is ridiculous.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 21

Post by bblhd672 »

Anonymous comment copied from a blog post at another site:
What do we know (in my opinion):
1. Our society is sick.
2. No proposed solution promises to heal it.
3. There are no political solutions to problems created by politics.

If gun prohibitions fixed sick societies, Mexico would be among the most peaceful places on Earth. This alone proves the fundamentally flawed approach of the Left. Adding new prohibitions (on anything) do not improve society because legislated rules only guide the behavior of those predisposed to follow those rules in the first place, and our society’s sickness is illustrated by both those who recognize no moral authority and by the rules that openly destroy moral authority
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Pawpaw »

philip964 wrote:Violating existing gun laws apparently is not a big deal to most governments. Extremely low prosecution rates even in states like California.
It makes perfect sense when you think about it.

The vast majority of people who fail a NICS check are either criminals or mentally unfit. Either way, politicians have to grant them professional courtesy.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 12

Post by philip964 »

Sister of Texas church shooting victim: 'No more guns' - CNN
https://apple.news/Afi2bsyGzSuOa6_CZuMcMeA

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 20

Post by anygunanywhere »

philip964 wrote:Sister of Texas church shooting victim: 'No more guns' - CNN
https://apple.news/Afi2bsyGzSuOa6_CZuMcMeA
Not a shocker. They are from gun free Mexico, the peaceful paradise where only the government and drug cartels have weapons.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

powerboatr wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Ruark wrote:This gem, from the CNN article above:
  • "In some states, a background check can be run fairly quickly through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). However, Texas is not one of these states, so firearms dealers are required to contact the FBI directly for all firearm background checks."
Where in the world do they come up with this stuff? :headscratch
because they assume we are a separate country ?? been straighten folks out on twitter all day.

Now I understand!!! 50 states!!!! yes, but it's Puerto Rico, not Texas! Got it! :thumbs2: Well dang, can we get some of our taxes back then?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “The Crime Blotter”