Wife wants a new falling plate pistol

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Deitz83
Posts in topic: 3

Wife wants a new falling plate pistol

Post by Deitz83 »

My wife said " that she wants a new falling plate pistol." She normally shoots her Browning Buck Mark, but now wants to use a 9 MM, with a longer barrel. Her first choice is the Springfield Armory XDM in 4.25 or 5" her Second, choice is H & K VP.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife wants a new falling plate pistol

Post by Tex1961 »

May I suggest that you go to your local range. Pick out a few of their rentals first so that she can get a better idea of what's out there. Most ladies have a little harder time especially with a double stack 9mm. But there are those out there that fit.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Tex1961 wrote:May I suggest that you go to your local range. Pick out a few of their rentals first so that she can get a better idea of what's out there. Most ladies have a little harder time especially with a double stack 9mm. But there are those out there that fit.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a standard XD-9(never tried the XDm which I'm sure is better) and a VP-9. The VP to me is a tack-driver compared to my XD. The VP does have a different sight picture out the box it is set for covering the target not holding under if that matters.

If HK keeps following suit with what the P30 has there may eventually be a long slide VP-9

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

HK. They have the VP9 sk which is the compact if that helps

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

cmgee67 wrote:HK. They have the VP9 sk which is the compact if that helps
I don't think that will help with grip much, it takes the same mags as the full size.

On the full size the small grip panels are pretty narrow in my opinion. If he takes her to a store I would ask them to see the other panels and change them out (out the box all 3 are medium on the gun). It is a single roll pin which can be done with no disassembly of any other part of the gun.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

If she looks for a gun with relative small grip size I can suggest to look at the Walther CCP.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Tex1961 wrote:May I suggest that you go to your local range. Pick out a few of their rentals first so that she can get a better idea of what's out there. Most ladies have a little harder time especially with a double stack 9mm. But there are those out there that fit.
She has the XD subcompact. The length of the barrel is too short for her for shooting plates at 60'. She understands that her eyesight and length of barrel plays a big part with her shooting goals going forward. She took my Browning HI Power a few years ago and this is the type of grip that fits her the best. Right now she is shooting 5 plates with her 22 LR, in 6.5 seconds. She wants to work toward 5.5 secs with a 9mm. Patience grass hopper. The grip on the XD/XDM or HK fits her hands better. Those are her words not mine. She has shot the XDM with the 4.25" barrel before and really liked it. However, this morning, she said that she wanted to put a Vortex red dot on it, like her Buck Mark. So, I got online and noticed that Springfield makes a pistol that accepts a red. We belong to private club, so the guys let her shot their guns all the time. I am just glad she does want to buy everything she gets to shoot. Thanks everyone for the input..

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I'd recommend you check out the CZ 75. The grips are thin and easy to handle with smaller hands, but still a double stack for capacity. The slide is very easy to rack. The metal frame soaks up the already negligible 9mm recoil, and the accuracy is great. One of the biggest advantages to the CZ platform is the trigger. IT starts off good, and can be made to be great. MY CZ P01 had the Pro Package from Cajun Gun Works. 8 lb. DA pull, 3.75 lb SA pull, and a 2.2mm reset. It is crisp and clean with no grit or creep whatsoever.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

maverick2076 wrote:I'd recommend you check out the CZ 75. The grips are thin and easy to handle with smaller hands, but still a double stack for capacity. The slide is very easy to rack. The metal frame soaks up the already negligible 9mm recoil, and the accuracy is great. One of the biggest advantages to the CZ platform is the trigger. IT starts off good, and can be made to be great. MY CZ P01 had the Pro Package from Cajun Gun Works. 8 lb. DA pull, 3.75 lb SA pull, and a 2.2mm reset. It is crisp and clean with no grit or creep whatsoever.
The CZ would be a great choice. Another might be a 9mm 1911.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My wife has small hands. She carries a Walther PPS M2 LE. She likes shooting my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch even with the medium palm swell installed.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Plus 1 on TAM's recommendation! Unless she needs more capacity, a 1911 in 9mm is a great option. Maybe a little heavy but with a longer barrel and sight radius for accuracy along with an enjoyable 1911 trigger (better trigger than the others mentioned here) this would be a sweet choice.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

maverick2076 wrote:I'd recommend you check out the CZ 75. The grips are thin and easy to handle with smaller hands, but still a double stack for capacity. The slide is very easy to rack. The metal frame soaks up the already negligible 9mm recoil, and the accuracy is great. One of the biggest advantages to the CZ platform is the trigger. IT starts off good, and can be made to be great. MY CZ P01 had the Pro Package from Cajun Gun Works. 8 lb. DA pull, 3.75 lb SA pull, and a 2.2mm reset. It is crisp and clean with no grit or creep whatsoever.
+1 on this recommendation. Although the trigger upgrade is a must do unless she has large hands. I have large hands for a man, and still struggled with the standard trigger reset length on the CZ 75. You will come close to doubling the cost of the pistol with the Pro package (unless you try to DIY, which I wouldn't recommend), but it is money well spent.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Sig is reintroducing the P210. That'll give a lot of insurance against the proverbial doghouse.

Topic author
Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Deitz83 wrote:My wife said " that she wants a new falling plate pistol." She normally shoots her Browning Buck Mark, but now wants to use a 9 MM, with a longer barrel. Her first choice is the Springfield Armory XDM in 4.25 or 5" her Second, choice is H & K VP.

She loves her Springfield Armory OSP. Tomorrow she will make some steel ring.

Return to “Ladies”