Lt Governor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 4

Lt Governor

Post by bbhack »

What's up the the Lt Governor asking the AG for an opinion regarding black letter law?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lt Governor

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Link to story?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

bbhack wrote:What's up the the Lt Governor asking the AG for an opinion regarding black letter law?
Link to Dan Patrick's letter to the Ken Paxton.
https://www.ltgov.state.tx.us/wp-conten ... 2-1-17.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Sounds to me like he’s trying to encourage churches to take advantage of the law. There are probably a lot of churches that either (A) aren’t sure what the change to the law means for them, or (B) a lot of churches are getting a false explanation of the law from the security companies they were employing prior to the law’s passage. My church has taken lately (for the first time) to employing an armed security guard during the Sunday Evening service. The two morning services they don’t do that because we have a security team made up of off-duty LEOs at those services. I can think of at least 3 other people besides myself who hold LTCs right off the top of my head, who are not off-duty LEOs, and who would be happy to provide evening service security, and save the church some money.

Why is this letter of clarification a problem?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

bbhack wrote:What's up the the Lt Governor asking the AG for an opinion regarding black letter law?
it's possible that he's just trying to get more people to see that this law passed. He may be hearing people say that "security teams are illegal" and he may be getting tired of saying "hey, we passed this law". So, this is one way of getting publicity for the new law.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Seems pretty clear why the Lt. Gov is asking the AG for the opinion: get the word out to Texans who aren't keeping up with the law.
However, I believe our state laws provide more protections than many Texans realize.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Sounds to me like he’s trying to encourage churches to take advantage of the law. There are probably a lot of churches that either (A) aren’t sure what the change to the law means for them, or (B) a lot of churches are getting a false explanation of the law from the security companies they were employing prior to the law’s passage.
This was my read as well...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
bbhack

Post by bbhack »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Why is this letter of clarification a problem?
I sort of read it as "until AG opines, maybe we should not carry in church".

I guess that was the wrong way to take it. I had no reason to believe he would do something stupid. But even this will be twisted.

Topic author
bbhack

Post by bbhack »

RoyGBiv wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Sounds to me like he’s trying to encourage churches to take advantage of the law. There are probably a lot of churches that either (A) aren’t sure what the change to the law means for them, or (B) a lot of churches are getting a false explanation of the law from the security companies they were employing prior to the law’s passage.
It is black letter law. He could have cited it, instead of making it seem that we cannot understand anything unless the smart ones interpret it for us.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

bbhack wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
It is black letter law. He could have cited it, instead of making it seem that we cannot understand anything unless the smart ones interpret it for us.
Maybe it wasn't to us, but instead to the Dimocrats.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

bbhack wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
:iagree:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Over the past month I have taken up providing an armed presence in a local church, the preacher wants to get his LTC, the associate preacher is a LEO but isn't always there and has other duties during service. I sit close to the back door and my only task is to watch the entrance to the church!
My understanding is this is perfectly legal ? Right?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

bbhack wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Why is this letter of clarification a problem?
I sort of read it as "until AG opines, maybe we should not carry in church".

I guess that was the wrong way to take it. I had no reason to believe he would do something stupid. But even this will be twisted.
We’ve been able to carry in Church for a long time now. There would have been no reason to seek the clarification on that. The only real confusion in recent times was people who didn’t know, being concerned about whether or not they would be able to open carry in church, and 30.07 pretty much covered all of that.

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

AG Paxton Issues Opinion on Guns and Security Teams in Texas Churches
AG Paxton Issues Opinion on Guns and Security Teams in Texas Churches
Thursday, December 21, 2017 – Austin

Licensed handgun owners can legally carry loaded weapons into Texas churches that do not have posted signs banning weapons, Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a legal opinion released today. The opinion also clarified that a new law passed this year by the Legislature exempts churches from state fees for creating volunteer security teams.

Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick requested the opinion on December 1, and asked Attorney General Paxton to expedite his responses “so that churches may know what legal options they have to improve security” in the aftermath of the Sutherland Springs tragedy.

“If a church decides to exclude the concealed or open carrying of handguns on the premises of church property, it may provide the requisite notice, thereby making it an offense for a license holder to carry a handgun on those premises,” Attorney General Paxton wrote in his opinion. “However, churches may instead decide not to provide notice and to allow the carrying of handguns on their premises. Unless a church provides effective oral or written notice prohibiting the carrying of handguns on its property, a license holder may carry a handgun onto the premises of church property as the law allows.”

Senate Bill 2065, which took effect September 1, exempts churches from state fees private institutions must pay to form their own security forces. The lesiglature ended the fees because they imposed a significant financial burden on smaller churches, such as the one in Sutherland Springs where 26 people were killed last month in Texas’ worst mass shooting.

“The regulations of the Private Security Act, including the fees required thereunder, do not apply to Texas churches when providing volunteer security services consistent with the requirements of section 1702.333 of the Occupations Code,” Attorney General Paxton concluded.
Actual opinion: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... P-0176.pdf
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”