Concealed loaded mags and 30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 3

Concealed loaded mags and 30.06 signs

Post by SIGFan43 »

I think I'm okay and legal in this situation, but I would like to hear personal experiences, too. When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I just leave my gun in the car, but don't remove my empty holster from the belt, nor do I remove my mag pouches on my belt or inside front pocket; I also leave the loaded mags in my pouches. I don't believe this is a violation of the statutes (to carry concealed loaded mags inside such a place). I even was in a clinic, in which I had to remove my cover jacket to let a nurse draw blood. I apologized for the empty pistol holster, thinking it might startle her, and she said, "It wouldn't bother me if you had a loaded pistol in that holster, but hospital rules apply here. I'm getting my license this week."
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

chamberc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed loaded mags and 30.06 signs

Post by chamberc »

SIGFan43 wrote:I think I'm okay and legal in this situation, but I would like to hear personal experiences, too. When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I just leave my gun in the car, but don't remove my empty holster from the belt, nor do I remove my mag pouches on my belt or inside front pocket; I also leave the loaded mags in my pouches. I don't believe this is a violation of the statutes (to carry concealed loaded mags inside such a place). I even was in a clinic, in which I had to remove my cover jacket to let a nurse draw blood. I apologized for the empty pistol holster, thinking it might startle her, and she said, "It wouldn't bother me if you had a loaded pistol in that holster, but hospital rules apply here. I'm getting my license this week."
Nope, you're good.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

SIGFan43 wrote:I think I'm okay and legal in this situation, but I would like to hear personal experiences, too. When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I just leave my gun in the car, but don't remove my empty holster from the belt, nor do I remove my mag pouches on my belt or inside front pocket; I also leave the loaded mags in my pouches. I don't believe this is a violation of the statutes (to carry concealed loaded mags inside such a place). I even was in a clinic, in which I had to remove my cover jacket to let a nurse draw blood. I apologized for the empty pistol holster, thinking it might startle her, and she said, "It wouldn't bother me if you had a loaded pistol in that holster, but hospital rules apply here. I'm getting my license this week."
I prefer to keep my pistol holstered unless I an using it or cleaning it. I use a Safariland ALS holster with their Quick Lock System so I can easily remove the holstered pistol from my belt with out undoing the belt. I have carried my spare magazines openly since 2013, when I got my CHL. Works for me.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I take all mags ( including the one from inside the pistol and the round from the chamber) with me. I don't want someone who may have broken into my truck and stolen my pistol to have a mag or any ammo to harm anyone( myself included).

Topic author
SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

WTR wrote:I take all mags ( including the one from inside the pistol and the round from the chamber) with me. I don't want someone who may have broken into my truck and stolen my pistol to have a mag or any ammo to harm anyone( myself included).
You've made me think about something that never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SIGFan43 wrote:
WTR wrote:I take all mags ( including the one from inside the pistol and the round from the chamber) with me. I don't want someone who may have broken into my truck and stolen my pistol to have a mag or any ammo to harm anyone( myself included).
You've made me think about something that never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea.
Ditto. OTH, other than the post office, I never enter a place where I can’t carry.......partly by inclination, and partly because that is how my life is ordered these days. But the next time I go to the post office, I’ll remember that idea.

Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun, and handling it in a way that is both safe (muzzle discipline, etc.) and discreet so that passers-by are not likely to observe what you’re doing. I suppose that if you’re in a large parking lot and parked far enough away from the building, this is maybe more easily done. Unfortunately, my experience is that suburban post office parking lots are typically fairly small, and rarely have room to part more than about 15 or so cars at a time.

But, it’s a worthy thought, and maybe next time I have to disarm, I’ll see if that would work for me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I carry a couple 30 round Glock mags along with several Glock 17 mags which fit my concealed rifle I carry in, since I have to leave the Glock pistol outside.
At post offices I don't carry a firearm in, but carry HALT the pepper spray Postal workers use for dogs, as well as 2 Kimber Pepperblasters and two approximately 12" knives (when open)

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

NotRPB wrote:When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I carry a couple 30 round Glock mags along with several Glock 17 mags which fit my concealed rifle I carry in, since I have to leave the Glock pistol outside.
At post offices I don't carry a firearm in, but carry HALT the pepper spray Postal workers use for dogs, as well as 2 Kimber Pepperblasters and two approximately 12" knives (when open)
Did I read that right? You have a pistol caliber carbine / rifle that you carry concealed into hospitals and other businesses that are posted 30.06?

Not judging, just asking I got that right.

rotor

Post by rotor »

montgomery wrote:
NotRPB wrote:When I go inside a hospital or other business that's posted with 30.06 signs, I carry a couple 30 round Glock mags along with several Glock 17 mags which fit my concealed rifle I carry in, since I have to leave the Glock pistol outside.
Did I read that right? You have a pistol caliber carbine / rifle that you carry concealed into hospitals and other businesses that are posted 30.06?

I could legally carry a KelTec sub 2000, 9mm with 33 round mags folded into a carry case unless they had a no firearms sign. Rifles are not covered by 30.06/07. No firearms are legitimate signs. No handgun signs (the Beretta with a slash) to me mean rifles are still allowed. You have seen the KelTec ads showing it fitting in a briefcase right? A lot of firepower and work very well. Anyone here that want to correct my interpretation?

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

rotor wrote:
montgomery wrote:

I could legally carry a KelTec sub 2000, 9mm with 33 round mags folded into a carry case unless they had a no firearms sign. Rifles are not covered by 30.06/07. No firearms are legitimate signs. No handgun signs (the Beretta with a slash) to me mean rifles are still allowed. You have seen the KelTec ads showing it fitting in a briefcase right? A lot of firepower and work very well. Anyone here that want to correct my interpretation?
Interesting ... thanks for the info. Texas Penal Code Section 46.03 Places Weapons Prohibited refers to firearms, not just handguns. (see 46.03 (6)(B)(4) for example) ...

I just added HK MP5 with folding stock to my Christmas list ... thanks for the idea.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
SIGFan43 wrote:
Ditto. OTH, other than the post office, I never enter a place where I can’t carry.......partly by inclination, and partly because that is how my life is ordered these days. But the next time I go to the post office, I’ll remember that idea.

Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun, and handling it in a way that is both safe (muzzle discipline, etc.) and discreet so that passers-by are not likely to observe what you’re doing. I suppose that if you’re in a large parking lot and parked far enough away from the building, this is maybe more easily done. Unfortunately, my experience is that suburban post office parking lots are typically fairly small, and rarely have room to part more than about 15 or so cars at a time.

But, it’s a worthy thought, and maybe next time I have to disarm, I’ll see if that would work for me.
"Alternatively, the thought occurs to me that this requires unholstering the gun..."
It only requires unholstering if you choose that it does. There are many options for easily removing your holstered pistol from which you can choose. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland ALS holster using their Quick Lock System which allows me to easily remove the holstered pistol from my belt. See my earlier post for pictures.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor

Post by rotor »

montgomery wrote:
rotor wrote:
montgomery wrote:

Interesting ... thanks for the info. Texas Penal Code Section 46.03 Places Weapons Prohibited refers to firearms, not just handguns. (see 46.03 (6)(B)(4) for example) ...

I just added HK MP5 with folding stock to my Christmas list ... thanks for the idea.
Not familiar with HK MP5 to know if it is considered a rifle or a pistol. If it is a rifle than 30.06/07 don't apply. If it is a pistol than 30.06/07 do apply.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

KelTec sub 2000, also called Sub2K I own two that accept Glock mags. My newest one sat concealed on the ER exam room bed I was laying on all night at Seton since they posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs when open carry passed. (They didn't used to be posted prior to that in my town.) They have always had a "Tobacco free campus" and "No Tobacco" signs but I have caught a few people with concealed snuff cans in their back jeans pockets (the white circle usually gives them away), and I've seen a couple partly un-concealed cigarette packs in shirt pockets. I have not seen any arrests for partly concealed tobacco (which I've seen) yet, but unlike those people, I obey laws. My folding SKS or folding AK-47 are a bit bulkier and more conspicuous carrying a tennis racket bag, or guitar case, which looks out of place in the hospital..

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:
montgomery wrote:
rotor wrote:
montgomery wrote:

Not familiar with HK MP5 to know if it is considered a rifle or a pistol. If it is a rifle than 30.06/07 don't apply. If it is a pistol than 30.06/07 do apply.
An actual HK MP5 is neither a rifle nor a pistol, as defined by Texas law, it is a submachinegun. If you have the $40,000 or so to buy a pre-86 registered copy, it would be good for carry where handguns are prohibited by law, but firearms not. Might be nice to get an SBR version if you could find one with enough parts manufactured in the US to get around the import restrictions on NFA.
Attachments
Heckler_&_Koch_MP5-1.jpg
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Like most other posters I leave my pistol locked in my console vault but keep my spare mags in the pouch on my left hip. Earlier this week I went in for a minor surgical procedure (wart removal) and had to remove my shirt the doc made no comments about my empty holster or my mag pouch. When I did the same thing last year with another doc he asked just asked me what I normally carried, he then told me his weapon of choice was a Glock 17. I had not considered removing the mag from my pistol or the round in the chamber but I might do that in future.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”