OC Has Gun Taken Away

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

OC Has Gun Taken Away

Post by carlson1 »

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2017122 ... uses-panic
Officers arrived and discovered that a man had grabbed a gun off another man who was open-carrying the weapon. The man who grabbed the gun then ran off.

chasfm11

Re: OC Has Gun Taken Away

Post by chasfm11 »

I've done very little OC up to now because I didn't have a good retention holster and I was a little concerned about being in a similar situation. I finally bought a level 3 Safariland. It is still possible, though less likely, that someone could grab it by tripping the release lever. I'm normally very careful about things behind me but a store environment is a lot more difficult to watch from that perspective.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero

Post by flechero »

Well I finally heard of one! (even though it was in North Carolina) This just emphasizes the need for good/constant SA. I believe that is the case whether you OC/CC/DC.

strogg

Post by strogg »

The owner of the gun store I bought my first handgun from was very well versed in secure carrying. He demonstrated to me how to disarm anyone OCing with the opposite hand. For example, taking a gun from a right handed holster with his left hand from behind. The reason he does that is because A: it is easier to unholster a firearm with an fbi cant that way, as the angle of removal allowed him to go from behind to front very easily, and most importantly B: it allows the use of his other hand to block any attempts of the gun owner to block access to the firearm. Normally, anyone OCing (like a LEO) is trained to grab the muzzle of the gun and torque it away from his/her body, which then effectively locks the gun in place because the gun would have to go into his/her torso for it to be removed at that angle. He demonstrated that with insane accuracy and speed the disarming technique. He also mentioned that most convicts learn how to do this and other techniques in jail or prison for any type of popular holster, whether it be a Serpa, Blade-tech, Bianchi, etc. It's just thug life 101 on how to disarm a LEO.

Because of that, when I use a OWB holster, I always have a cover garment. At least that way A: it is way harder for the potential perp to know what kind of holster I have or that I even have a gun. and B: unless the bg is in front of me bumping shoulders, it will take multiple motions to disarm me.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Just another reason that I only CC.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

strogg,

Great information.

Thanks!

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I understand that out of the total of people who legally carry handguns in this nation, it's a rather small percentage who open carry. However, I'd like to see some sort of statistics on how many open carriers have had their handgun taken from them out of the holster (not disarmed with the firearm already out of the holster such as during a struggle). I simply cannot believe this is some sort of major problem, otherwise the anti-2A types in the mass news media would make top headlines out of the incidents as a "see, told you so" sort of thing.

No, I don't want to be a "test case", no I don't go around with a shiny chromed hand-cannon on my hip swaggering and sneering at people, and no, I am NOT part of the tough guy "chipotle ninja" crowd. I simply like things being put into proper perspective. There is enough real scary stuff out there without adding phantoms to the mix.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. My research and risk analysis has convinced me that, for me, carrying openly works best. We each have to come to our own conclusion.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Open carrying is pretty much the dumbest thing possible in public environments where you don't know the people around you. You are telegraphing exactly how you're armed and where your firearm is at. I fully support the change in laws that support open carry, but doesn't change the fact that if you're open carrying in a crowded public environment, I'm just gonna think, "Bless his heart."

And we all know what that means.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I do not open carry but would like to see the store's security video to see exactly how it happened.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

dlh wrote:I do not open carry but would like to see the store's security video to see exactly how it happened.
:iagree: As they say, the devil is in the details.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone CC if outed by the BGs or OC, Can be disarmed by 2 BGs attack from behind, All it takes that the GG is pushed from the back and lose his Ballance or tripped over by the second BG.
Always 360 Awareness is key. Make sure that you have enough distance to react, distract, and engage with deadly force
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

OldCannon wrote:Open carrying is pretty much the dumbest thing possible in public environments where you don't know the people around you. You are telegraphing exactly how you're armed and where your firearm is at. I fully support the change in laws that support open carry, but doesn't change the fact that if you're open carrying in a crowded public environment, I'm just gonna think, "Bless his heart."

And we all know what that means.
Isn’t that special. Your sharing your contempt for those who decide to exercise their freedom in a different manner as yourself.

We are our own worst enemies. It’s a wonder we have progressed at all to restoring the 2A.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “The Crime Blotter”