KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Re: KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Post by MechAg94 »

The other question I would ask is what justifies the police officer making a shot like that? Shouldn't it be a readily identifiable threat? All the guy did was move his hands a little. That is not a threat. That may lead to a threat in some cases, but it isn't there yet. In addition, the police were a distance away with rifles behind cover. Even a drawn pistol or knife isn't a huge threat at that distance. In this case, I think the officer making the shot was trigger happy or screwed up and should be up on charges for murder. You can blame the fake police report some, but it was the cop who shot this guy without cause.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The officer who pulled the trigger should be brought to account on this, certainly. However, this whole thing would have never happened if not for the fake call. THAT is the person who should be brought up on MURDER charges. They thought they were being funny, perhaps, but nothing funny about this whole thing. :mad5 :sad:

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

MechAg94 wrote:Perhaps another question or two for the members here:

1. If cops roll up on your house tonight and order you out of the house. Would you do it?
Nope, after the last few incidents, I have decided that if possible I will lay down spread eagle and lie still until I'm taken into custody... Bad things ALWAYS seem to happen when multiple officers are present and screaming often conflicting orders at someone. (one always yells don't move while other(s) yell to lay down, approach, etc.) so there is always one who has a "reason" to shoot. :shock:

I doubt they will fire on a motionless body face down, even if I disregard the order to come to them.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Did the victim have a weapon or threaten the officers or a third party with a weapon?
Did the officer who fired the shot reasonably fear for his life or the life of a third party?
What will the District Attorney do?
What will the grand jury do?
I am "pro-police" but this video and the Mesa, Arizona video disturb me.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I want and expect police community to speak up. This has gotten out of hand.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baseballguy2001 »

NOTHING will happen to the 'officer' who fired the kill shot. No charges, no consequences. Right now he's on a paid vacay while all this blows over. The gamer who called in the fake 911 call was arrested in Los Angeles. The same guy was arrested for calling in a fake bomb threat two years ago. As far as I can find, he still hasn't been tried for that. Bottom line: the LEO's trained in the last ten years or so have been trained to shoot first. My friend, an LEO, says they train now to 'act' rather than 'react.' Think about the 21 foot rule. If a BG with a drawn knife is within 21 feet and coming at you, it's even money if you can draw and shoot to protect yourself. We are reacting to a threat. The police today shoot (not just draw) at the sight of a perceived threat. That's a huge difference. Think how many stories you've seen where the authorities say the officer fired at seeing a person move a certain way, or had something in their hand that after the event, turned out to be nothing at all, or something normal like a mobile phone. Until we as citizens demand a change, these events will continue.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

parabelum wrote:I want and expect police community to speak up. This has gotten out of hand.
baseballguy2001 wrote:NOTHING will happen to the 'officer' who fired the kill shot. No charges, no consequences. Right now he's on a paid vacay while all this blows over. The gamer who called in the fake 911 call was arrested in Los Angeles. The same guy was arrested for calling in a fake bomb threat two years ago. As far as I can find, he still hasn't been tried for that. Bottom line: the LEO's trained in the last ten years or so have been trained to shoot first. My friend, an LEO, says they train now to 'act' rather than 'react.' Think about the 21 foot rule. If a BG with a drawn knife is within 21 feet and coming at you, it's even money if you can draw and shoot to protect yourself. We are reacting to a threat. The police today shoot (not just draw) at the sight of a perceived threat. That's a huge difference. Think how many stories you've seen where the authorities say the officer fired at seeing a person move a certain way, or had something in their hand that after the event, turned out to be nothing at all, or something normal like a mobile phone. Until we as citizens demand a change, these events will continue.
:iagree: with both of your statements.

I lay some of the responsibility for the changes in police behavior in these situations on the former organizer-in-chief who fanned the flames of the “war on police.”
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm sorry, but I cannot tell what the homeowner/victim was raising his hand to do. He could have been raising it to shield his eyes from the spot light or he could have been raising it with a handgun getting ready to shoot. He could have been raising it to show them his hands as he was being ordered to do. I can't tell from that video at that distance.

IMHO, the swatter needs to be held entirely responsible for his death.

There is a war being waged on the police by some people and it was fanned by BO along with many others in his party. A friend of mine was taken from his wife and children in that war. The information the police had when they went to this man's house that night made them wary. I can't say that I would be able to find the officer(s) that fired the shot(s) killing this man guilty of murder or whatever based off of this video. There would have to be much more for me to get to that point.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I agree that BO and his ilk started all of this mess. However, two wrongs don’t make a right. Police reps need to step it up here a bit. At a point where some of us law abiding and police supporting citizens, those of us with friends and family member in le, begin to wonder if I’d be better not to comply other then to lay on ground and not move, and begin to feel a bit uneasy about le encounters, we have a problem.

I shouldn’t have to worry about catching a bullet from someone sworn and paid to protect, just because I either misunderstood the confusing commands or officer flinches, just because bastardly blm fascists waged war on police, I didn’t do it. And I bet the lady who got popped in MN didn’t either, nor this guy in KS.
Last edited by parabelum on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

this swatting stuff is crazy, and it's scary. my kids/young adults use ot play all sorts of games online, now they are in college they don't have so much time anymore, but when they do, they are very, very careful about who they play with.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

The emergency phone call was answered at Wichita city hall as you can't dial 911 in Los Angels CA and get Wichita emergency services. That person who answered the call then directed it to 911. Sounds like that needs to be a policy change.

Nutcracker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nutcracker »

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

dlh

Post by dlh »

The more I read about this case the more bizarre it is.

What is the crime and range of punishment in that jurisdiction for filing/making a false report? Probably not severe enough.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

dlh wrote:The more I read about this case the more bizarre it is.

What is the crime and range of punishment in that jurisdiction for filing/making a false report? Probably not severe enough.
Plus, if they don't prosecute the officer for the death, can you really punish the SWAT'er as an accessory to murder?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

dlh wrote:What is the crime and range of punishment in that jurisdiction for filing/making a false report? Probably not severe enough.
Since it was done across state lines, over the telephone, it is probably a Federal crime.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “The Crime Blotter”