CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kansas Professor resigning - Campus Carry

Post by LDB415 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
LDB415 wrote:
John Galt wrote:I am all for campus carry, but also think that some training is a good thing.
I agree and I think it should be mandatory but then I don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such. Catch 22.
Do you think it should be mandatory to have people get parenting classes before they have children? Mandatory education before people vote? What about anger control classes before people are allowed to interact with other humans? In an ideal world, would you like to have any / all of these be mandatory?
Some of those things would certainly be beneficial but unfortunately they fall in the whole don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LDB415 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
LDB415 wrote:
John Galt wrote:I am all for campus carry, but also think that some training is a good thing.
I agree and I think it should be mandatory but then I don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such. Catch 22.
Do you think it should be mandatory to have people get parenting classes before they have children? Mandatory education before people vote? What about anger control classes before people are allowed to interact with other humans? In an ideal world, would you like to have any / all of these be mandatory?
Some of those things would certainly be beneficial but unfortunately they fall in the whole don't believe in the government having the power or authority to mandate such.
Thanks. I was just curious about where you are at on the exercise of other rights. It sounds like you are consistent between the RKBA and some of the lesser rights I listed.

Personally, I am in the camp that training should not be mandatory before exercising any of these rights. But I am having trouble seeing the distinction you seem to be making by saying that something should be mandatory, but that the government should not have the power or authority to mandate it. If not the government, then who / what would enforce the mandatory part? And if no one enforces the mandate, then is it really mandatory, or just a suggestion?

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre »

I think that's why he said, "Catch 22."
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

spectre wrote:I think that's why he said, "Catch 22."
So basically, on the one hand it should be mandatory, but then again it would be wrong for anyone to enforce the mandate, so it really shouldn't be mandatory?

I can kinda sorta follow that.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, that's the Catch 22 of the whole thing. Many things would be beneficial but it's not right for the government to mandate and enforce them.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'd be in favor of having to pass a civics test in order to vote..

/dreaming
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'd be in favor of having to pass a civics test in order to vote..
/dreaming
Or even an IQ test! Or Citizenship!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”